U.S. ARMY CHEMICAL CORPS
Hall of Fame
Major General Gerald G. Watson
Major General Gerald G. Watson, a native of Kilgore, Texas, graduated from Trinity University in 1957 with a degree in chemistry. Commissioned a second lieutenant in the Chemical Corps, his combat arms detail was to the Artillery.
Major General Watson’s assignments included command of Rocky Mountain Arsenal, Commanding General of Fort McClellan, Commandant of the Chemical School and Chief of Chemical. He was also Deputy Inspector General and Director of the Defense Nuclear Agency. He played key roles in preventing disestablishment of the Chemical Corps in the 1970s and the revitalization of the Corps in the 1980s.
Major General Watson’s numerous awards and decorations include the Bronze Star Medal, the Legion of Merit and the Distinguished Service Medal.
After retiring from active duty in 1992, Major General Watson has remained a strong supporter of the Chemical Corps and was appointed Honorary Colonel in 1994.