U.S. ARMY CHEMICAL CORPS
Hall of Fame
Brigadier General Fred J. Delmore
Brigadier General Fred J. Delmore was born on June 12, 1905 in Plains, Pennsylvania. After graduation from the College of the Holy Cross, he was commissioned in 1931 as a Reserve Chemical Officer. In 1942, he was called to duty and served on the faculty of the Chemical School and later commanded the 72nd Chemical Mortar Battalion in the Pacific. He was assigned as the Staff Chemical Officer, Army Ground Forces, Pacific, and in the last year of the war, he was the Commanding Officer of the Hawaiian Chemical Corps Depot and of the 14th Chemical Service Battalion.
Later in his long career, Brigadier General Delmore commanded Fort Detrick and the Chemical and Biological Laboratories. He was also President of the Chemical Corps Board, and as such was directly responsible for the development of Chemical Corps doctrine.
During the critical period of the late 50s and early 60s, Brigadier General Delmore commanded Edgewood Arsenal and also the Chemical-Biological-Radiological Agency. In this position, he was directly responsible for Army CBR training and offensive and defensive use of chemical and biological weapons.
Brigadier General Delmore’s attention to detail and flexibility allowed the Army and its sister services to keep pace with the ever expanding areas of NBC technology, and to do so on a small budget.
Brigadier General Fred J. Delmore passed away in 1983.