Fort Drum Access Control


REAL ID compliance

The final REAL ID enforcement deadline – Oct. 1, 2020 – is fast approaching. By this date, not only must all states be issuing REAL ID-compliant licenses or IDs, but individuals must also have visited their state’s driver’s licensing agency and obtained a REAL ID-compliant card, or acceptable alternative such as a U.S. passport, if they wish to fly on commercial aircraft or access federal facilities.

Federal agencies, including Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA), may only accept state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards as identification for purposes of accessing federal facilities – including TSA airport security checkpoints – if the license or card was issued by a REAL ID-compliant state in accordance with the REAL ID security standards (meaning the license or card must include the REAL ID-compliant star marking). 

Enhanced Driver’s Licenses (EDLs) issued by Washington, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, and Vermont are considered acceptable alternatives to REAL ID-compliant cards and will be accepted for official REAL ID purposes. Most EDLs do not contain the star marking, and this is acceptable.

REAL ID-compliant cards will have of one of the following markings on the upper top portion of the card. If the card does not have one of these markings, it is not REAL ID-compliant and it will not be accepted as proof of identity.

REAL ID stars 9-27-19.jpg

For more information, visit the DHS REAL ID Frequently Asked Questions webpage at


Gate Procedures

Each person who attempts to enter Fort Drum must present a valid DoD ID card. Individuals who are not in possession of a DoD ID card may follow the steps outlined below in order to access the installation.

Effective June 3, 2019, the Visitor Control Center (VCC) will be open from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. All visitors will be required to process through the VCC except for commercial trucks, which will remain at Gas Alley.

All non-DoD ID card holders may receive a one-day pass, valid from 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., without a sponsor.

  • Visitors 18 or older must present a government-issued identification card.

  • Complete IMDR-ES Form 3. The form is available at the Visitor Control Center (VCC) and on this website and can be hand-delivered to the VCC or emailed.

All non-DoD ID card holders who want access for more than one day or need to stay overnight must have a sponsor in order to enter Fort Drum.

Sponsors MUST:

  • Be in possession of a valid DoD ID card.

  • Be 18 or older and fall into one of the following categories: Soldiers, Family Members, retirees and their spouses, civilian employees or contractors who possess a DoD ID card.

  • Meet guests at the VCC to sign for them. * *

  • Be willing to accept responsibility for their sponsored guests while those guests are visiting the installation.


* Visitors who wish to bring their vehicle on post must present a valid driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance.

* Once a pass is obtained, pass holders may enter Fort Drum via any gate that is open.

* Any individual attempting to access Fort Drum without a DoD ID card or a Directorate of Emergency Services-approved pass will be redirected to the VCC outside of Lt. Gen. Paul Cerjan / Main Gate to be properly vetted, even those in uniform.


** DoD ID card holders:

You may pre-coordinate for the arrival of any visitors by applying for a pass in advance through the Access Control Office. Please follow the steps outlined below to download and submit an Application for Sponsorship (IMDR-ES Form 2). A request must be submitted a minimum of 72 hours in advance of a visitor’s arrival.

Trusted Traveler Program:

Sponsors (DoD ID card holders) may vouch for all non-DoD ID card holders present in their own vehicle except for foreign nationals. All persons in the vehicle, 18 or older, may be required to provide an official form of photo identification: driver’s license, government-issued ID, school ID card, passport, etc. Please note that contractors are NOT eligible to participate in the TTP, even those who possess a valid DoD ID card.

Foreign nationals:

Foreign nationals who are NOT on official orders must follow the above steps to obtain sponsorship and a pass. Additionally, individuals must be escorted by their sponsors at all times after entering Fort Drum until their departure.


Contractors who do not possess a DoD ID card or Local Access Badge will not be allowed on post without a sponsor. Please contact your supervisor for additional information. Personnel who require a Local Access Badge are asked to call (315) 772-8585 to make an appointment.

Special events:

Special procedures will be put in place and announced for communitywide special events such as Mountainfest.



Either form can be printed, filled in, signed, and dropped off in person at Bldg. 10008, Visitor Control Center, between the hours of 5:30 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Forms also can be filled in, signed electronically, and emailed to

If there is an issue found during background checks, you will be notified telephonically.

If there are no issues, passes will be prepared and can be picked up at the VCC outside of Lt. Gen. Paul Cerjan Gate during normal business hours.

Pass requests will be processed in the order they are received. If you plan to visit on a particular day and want to avoid waiting in line at the VCC, you can submit your request in advance and your pass will be waiting for you. Please allow up to 72 hours for processing.

If sponsored personnel will arrive after 10 p.m., please annotate it in your justification. The passes will be moved to Lt. Gen. Paul Cerjan Gate, where they can be picked up inside with appropriate identification.

Questions may be directed as follows:

  • Captain of the Guard at (315) 772-9959, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday;

  • Sergeant of the Guard at (315) 772-8392, 24 hours a day; or

  • Visitor Control Center at (315) 772-8585, 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.


(Updated February 2020)