Due to COVID-19 concerns, there have been changes to Fort Drum DEERS / ID Card policy. Please visit for DoD Response to COVID-19 DoD ID Cards and Benefits.

The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) will continue to be the authoritative source to verify statutory eligibility for DoD health care and other benefits.

In accordance with DoD guidance:

  • Customers can call the DEERS / ID Center at (315) 772-5149 to make appointments to replace cards that are expired or are within 90 days of expiration.

  • Exception to the policies of a Secretary of Defense memo dated April 7, 2020
    Dependent children 10 years and older (not 14) must have a current USID card in order to be ticketed on Patriot Express flights to and from OCONUS (outside continental United States) locations.
    All patients 10 years or older must have a military ID card to receive services at military treatment facilities on Fort Drum. Medical personnel will request to see the ID card at all appointments.

  • DoD Civilian Retiree ID Cards are no longer valid or accepted as identification at federal installations

At Fort Drum, civilian retirees will need to stop at the Visitor Control Center and submit to a voluntary background check to obtain a pass to the installation. Civilian retirees who possess REAL ID-compliant identification and retirement documents (SF-50) as proof of eligibility can complete the brief background check and register with VCC staff. Once registered, retirees will have access for one year and may enter at any gate. When entering Fort Drum, retirees will just need to present their REAL ID and SF-50 to gate personnel. At the end of the year, they can re-register at the VCC and submit to the same voluntary background check.
Civilian retirees without REAL ID will need to stop at the Visitor Control Center to voluntarily submit to a background check and receive a one-day pass upon each visit to the installation.
To learn how to apply for a REAL ID license, visit
The limited use of morale, welfare and recreation activities by DoD civilian retirees will remain at the discretion of the installation commander, subject to the DoD civilian retiree meeting identity, fitness, and purpose requirements for installation access. For more information, see the memorandum here.

  • The minimum age for issuance of an indefinite DoD ID card to spouses and other eligible dependents has been reduced from 75 to 65.


The DEERS/ID Card Office Appointment Scheduler is back online at Customers also may schedule an appointment by calling (315) 772-5149. 

Soldiers assigned to a 10th Mountain Division unit should direct questions to their brigade S1. All other customers, contact or (315) 772-5149.



The Fort Drum DEERS / RAPIDS Customer Service Team provides world-class support to the 150,000 eligible beneficiaries throughout our region of support, which includes New York state and the Fort Drum community, Vermont, New Hampshire, eastern Canada and the northern regions of Pennsylvania.

With an average wait time of four minutes, our team services more than 16,000 customers a year with a customer satisfaction rating of 99.96 percent. This is directly attributable to the highly trained and friendly staff that treats each customer like family and strives to clearly communicate everything that the customer needs to know for a quick and successful appointment.



1.  The Fort Drum DEERS and ID Card Center is 100-percent appointment-based only.

2.  Walk-in customers will be given the next available appointment.

3.  Soldiers who are not in our primary customer base will be referred back to their brigade S1.


Make an appointment:  10th Mountain Division Soldiers

Active-duty Soldiers from 1st Brigade Combat Team; 2nd Brigade Combat Team; Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion; 10th Combat Aviation Brigade, and 10th Sustainment Brigade should use their brigade S1 RAPIDS Section for purposes of CAC and DEERS updates. You can schedule an appointment by contacting your brigade RAPIDS team.


Brigade S1 Brigade S1


ID Center



1st BCT Bldg. 10400, South Riva Ridge Loop (315) 774-3618 (315) 774-3618 (315) 774-2796
2nd BCT Bldg. 10200, North Riva Ridge Loop (315) 774-2004 (315) 772-7635 (315) 774-2489
DIVARTY / HHBN Bldg. 10500, South Riva Ridge Loop ----- (315) 772-9178 (315) 774-3503
10th CAB Bldg. 19900, Munns Corner Road (315) 774-6018 (315) 772-1423 (315) 772-1686
10th SBDE Bldg. 4400, Po Valley Road (315) 772-2754 (315) 772-0747 (315) 772-0697


Make an appointment:  All others

Family members, retirees, civilians, contractors and Soldiers of U.S. Army Garrison, MEDDAC, DENTAC, 91st Military Police Battalion, Reserves, National Guard and sister services, click on the following link:


Contact Us:

Follow the instructions above that apply to you, or contact us directly to schedule an appointment that meets your busy schedule. Look for us on Facebook! 


Pre-Arrival Checks: 

Be fully prepared for a successful appointment! For a complete list of requirements for every type of appointment, click on the link below. 

          DEERS required documents


Garrison Policy Memorandum 21-20 requires all contractors to have an approved CVM: 

All contractors will need an approved Contractor Verification Memo (CVM) from the local Supporting Security Manager (SSM). The CVM can be hand-carried by the applicant, or emailed from the local SSM director to the DEERS/ID Center. The DEERS/ID Center will not provide Common Access Card (CAC) services to ANY contractor personnel until a local SSM has vetted them and provided a CVM confirming their eligibility status. The CVM is in addition to the need for the contractor's Trusted Agent (TA) to generate a TASS (Trusted Associate Sponsorship System) Form 1 and input them in TASS. Two valid forms of identification with one containing a non-expired photograph (i.e. driver's license / passport) are required. For questions concerning the CVM policy memorandum, call (315) 772-9440. 

          Garrison Policy Memorandum 21-20      Sample CVM


Forms for Download:


          ​​​​​​MPD Form 506-E for Lost, Stolen, or Damaged ID Cards


Frequently Asked Questions:


Why do I need two forms of ID?

To make an ID card, the Department of Defense RAPIDS system requires the verifying official to scan two forms of government-issued ID into the record repository. The documents cannot be expired or cancelled. If the two documents bear different names, evidence of a formal name change must be provided.

What do I need to get an ID card?

DEPENDENTS – Federal guidelines require sponsors to accompany all military dependents to the DEERS / ID Center with the correct supporting documents to authenticate the action. For details, call (315) 772-5149.

INITIAL – If it is an initial ID, you will need two forms of ID (unexpired driver’s license, Social Security card, passport, etc.) and all supporting documents shown below. Before making an appointment, we recommend you call (315) 772-5149 and have us check DEERS to verify your enrollment.


For the initial enrollment of a new spouse:

- ORIGINAL DOCUMENTSSponsors will need to bring the original or certified copy (not notarized) of the marriage certificate that was filed with the county and shows the file number. Your spouse also will need to bring his or her original birth certificate, Social Security card and a valid photo ID.

- PRIOR DIVORCESIf either you or your spouse were previously married, you also will need all original divorce decrees, even if the divorce was prior to your military service.

- PRIOR MILITARY DEPENDENTSIf your spouse was previously a military dependent under someone else (Dad, Mom), we will need the Social Security number of his or her previous sponsor to ensure he or she was removed from that record.

- FOREIGN SPOUSES If your spouse is not an American citizen and does not have a Social Security card, a temporary identification number will be issued, but you still need all of the other documents listed above. If any of these documents are not in English, you must have them translated. If he or she is from a country that is member of The Hague Convention, the document will need an Apostille of The Hague, which verifies its authenticity. If he or she is from a country that is not part of The Hague, he or she will need authentication verification from the U.S. consular officer in that country.

- DUAL MILITARY - When two service members are married, they are required to be cross-registered in DEERS under their own and their spouse’s record.


- DADS – If you are a male sponsor and are married to the mother, you will need the original or certified copy of the birth certificate and the Social Security card, in its original form. If you are not married to the mother, you also will need an Acknowledgement of Paternity or a court order showing paternity.

- MOMS – If you are a female sponsor, you will need the original or certified copy of the birth certificate and the Social Security card, in its original form.

- If father and mother are both in the military and married, the child needs to be enrolled under both parents.

INITIAL ENROLLMENT, STEPCHILD To enroll a stepchild, sponsors will need the original or certified copy of the marriage certificate, the child’s original birth certificate and Social Security card.

INITIAL ENROLLMENT, PARENT To enroll a parent or parent in-law, sponsors must:

- Fill out a Secondary Dependency Packet, DD Form 137-3, which you can get at the DEERS / ID Card Center, or online at

- Once complete, send it to DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) either by mail, fax or electronically. If approved, DFAS will send you back a Determination Letter and an 1172-2.

- Bring those two forms, the parent’s birth certificate, photo ID and Social Security card (if a U.S. citizen). We have to show the connection between parent and child, so we also need the birth certificate of the child (now the sponsor) of the parents we are enrolling. (Don’t forget to bring your parents.)

PROMOTION or DEMOTION – You will need two forms of ID (unexpired driver’s license, Social Security card, passport etc.) and promotion orders or Enlisted Records Brief (ERB) or Officer Records Brief (ORB).

EXPIRED – If the card is expired or will expire within 90 days, all military personnel, civilians and dependents 18 years and older will need the old ID card and a second form of state or federal ID (unexpired driver’s license, Social Security card, passport, etc.) Even if your home state allows military members and Families to use an expired driver’s license to drive, guidance from the Defense Human Resource Activity states that this is only for driving, not for identification.

LOST – If the card is lost, you will need two forms of ID (unexpired driver’s license, Social Security card, passport, etc.) and a lost card statement MPD Form 506-E. For Soldiers, the 506-E must be signed by an E6 or above, and for Civilians and contractors, it must be signed by your supervisor. For contractors whose card was over 60 days old, you will need another verification memo:

MPD Form 506-E for Lost, Stolen, or Damaged ID Cards

CONTRACTORS – If you are a contractor, you will need two forms of ID (unexpired driver’s license, Social Security card, passport, etc.) and a verification memo, which you get at the Security and Intelligence Division office, Bldg. 433A, MWR Drive, South Post.

Are notarized documents accepted as “certified” photocopies?

No. Notaries are not accepted, because a notary only verifies signatures, not certify authenticity of the document. For additional details, call (315) 772-5149.

What about children?

How old does a child have to be to receive an ID card?

Children 10 or older may be issued ID cards, with the following exceptions:

- The child’s temporary guardian lives away from the parent’s duty station and must use a medical facility other than the one keeping the child’s records; or the child resides temporarily away from the sponsor and there is no eligible spouse.

- The child is of a joint service couple or a single parent.

- The child does not reside in the household of an eligible adult Family Member.

- The child’s physical appearance warrants issue (for example, appears older than 10). Note: The Personnel chief or designated representative approves or disapproves request.

How long can my child stay on my DEERS?

- 18 to 21 – Dependent children are automatically eligible for benefits until they reach the age of 21.

- 21 to 23 – Dependent children enrolled full time in college qualify for extended benefits until the age of 23.

- 21 to 26 – Dependent children who are NOT enrolled full time in college can be eligible for medical benefits if they are enrolled in TRICARE Young Adult (for a fee). Contact TRICARE for additional details.

- After age 26, they are no longer eligible for benefits, with the exception of children documented as permanently incapacitated who will remain eligible until they are deceased.

Can Family Members be removed from DEERS?

No. Title 10 of U.S. Law prohibits the removal of any eligible Family Members.

What about college students?

Are college students eligible for an ID card?

Yes. They can remain eligible from age 21 to 23 if they are enrolled full time in college and their eligibility has been extended in DEERS by bringing in a letter from the college registrar stating they are registered / enrolled as full-time students, with an estimated graduation date. It must be a letter of enrollment; letters of acceptance are not acceptable.

Can a student attending two colleges combine them to make a full-time student status?

No. Per AFI 36-3026-IP, two colleges cannot be combined to make a full-time student status. The student does not qualify for benefits in DEERS without a statement from one college stating full-time student enrollment.

Are college and graduate students eligible for an ID card during breaks?

Yes, Chapter 4 in the AFI (page 64 & 65, Table 4.4) "Summer Break and Graduate Students" states: Summer Break: "Students who were enrolled as a full-time student for the semester or session immediately before the break may be eligible for an ID card during break if they are accepted or enrolled immediately after the break." For details, call (315) 772-5149.

What about retirees?

I’m about to retire. How soon can I get my Retiree ID card?

Even though you’re starting terminal leave, you can’t get your Retiree ID card until you are actually retired. Go to during the last week of terminal leave, and make appointment for yourself and your dependents to obtain Retiree ID cards at the DEERS / ID Card Facility anywhere in the country that is closest to you.

Why does my Retiree ID card have an expiration date?

When you turn 65, you have to update your ID card by adding your Medicare A&B, which then makes you eligible for TRICARE for Life. To update your card, you will need two forms of ID (unexpired driver’s license, Social Security card, passport, etc.) and your Medicare A&B card. This update can be done up to 90 days in advance. If you do not sign up for Medicare part B, you will not be eligible for TRICARE for Life.

What about Disabled American Veterans?

What are the requirements to receive a DAV ID card?

To be eligible to receive a DAV ID card, the veteran will require a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs recognizing him or her as a Disabled American Veteran with a rating of 100% (or 100% unemployable), signed by the VA and stating he or she is eligible for Commissary, PX and MWR. You will be required to produce the last DD 214 to determine eligibility for the type of discharge received – only those discharged under honorable or general-under-honorable conditions qualify.

DEERS / ID Cards

(315) 772-5149

Clark Hall, Bldg. 10720, Room A1-102

Mount Belvedere Boulevard

Hours of Operation:

8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Monday

7:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Tuesday

9:05 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Wednesday

7:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Thursday

8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Friday

Closed on federal holidays; open on DONSAs (days of no scheduled activity)


Look for us on Facebook!