Fort Drum No-Fee Passports and Visas


Mission Statements:

Official Passport Services:  Process passport applications for Soldier and family members on assignment to locations requiring official, diplomatic, no-fee dependent passports and visas.

Official Passport Photo Lab:  Provide 2x2 passport photos for official permanent change of station (PCS) / deployment-related passports and naturalization photos.


Frequently Asked Questions:


Who needs a no-fee passport?

All family members who accompany their sponsor to an assignment in a foreign country must apply for a no-fee passport. For Soldiers, official passports are only issued when on orders to countries that require one. No-fee passports are not authorized to be used for personal (leisure) travel.

Why can’t I just use my tourist passport?

Tourist passports do not provide protection for the family member(s) under the Status of Forces Agreement, nor do they allow family member(s) to live in the country. However, tourist passports are acceptable for travel through Canada to Alaska.

What is the difference between a passport and a visa?

A passport is issued by a person’s country of citizenship; it is an official government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship. The passport serves two purposes: it allows you to regain entry to the country of your citizenship (i.e. the United States), and it is often a requirement to gain entry to the country you wish to visit.

Some countries also require visas. A visa is obtained from the embassy or local consulate of the country to be visited; it is an official government document that temporarily authorizes you to be in that country. The visa usually is in the form of a stamp or sticker placed IN the passport, and it is obtained from the country you wish to visit before you begin your travel.

Visas are required for family members who are not U.S. citizens. For assistance with determining if Family Member visas are needed, call (315) 772-2815.

Where do I get a no-fee passport?

The Fort Drum Official Passport Center is located in Clark Hall, Room A1-24. Appointments are necessary. Call (315) 772-2815 to schedule.

How long does it take?

Your passport appointment will take between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on how many family members you have and how prepared you are. Once we submit your application, it will take approximately three to five weeks to receive your passports. If visas are required, expect an additional four weeks, depending on your destination.

What are the passport photo requirements?

1. Photos must have been taken within the last six months and clearly represent a good likeness of the applicant.

2. Passport photos may be full color, taken in normal street attire, without a hat or glasses. Uniforms, work clothing, T-shirts, and multi-colored shirts are unacceptable. A shirt with collar is preferable.

3. Headgear of any type is forbidden. Please ensure you have nothing in your hair, (i.e. sunglasses, headband, scarf), unless worn daily for religious purposes.

4. Photos must be 2 inches by 2 inches, with the face of the picture not more than 1 to 1 3/8 inches from top of brow to chin.

5. If you are to make a permanent change of station to a country that requires a visa, you will need to obtain four passport photos.

6. If you are unsure of visa requirements, call (315) 772-2815 before having photos taken.

Where can I get passport photos?

1. For a fee, you can get passport photos at various drug stores or the U.S. Post Office.

2. For a fee, you can take your own photos at home and use online services like

3. Passport photos can be taken on site by the passport agent at the time of the passport appointment – free of charge. This adds about 15 minutes to the passport appointment for each person in your party.

What do I need to bring to the passport appointment?

1. Applications must be typed and printed single page before your scheduled appointment. To get the form(s) you need, go to

a. If applying for a new or lost no-fee

b. If renewing your no-fee

c. Do not use your tourist passport information when requesting a no-fee passport, diplomatic or an official passport.

d. Do not sign the application.

2. DoD ID card

3. Original birth certificate / naturalization certificate (must be the original and have raised seal issued by the county or state where born). *Original birth certificate will be sent in with application.*

4. Any passport issued in the last 15 years (official and/or no-fee)

5. 2 x passport photos

6. All family members (adults and all children), must be present at appointment.

a. Children who are biological to both parents: Bring all items listed above.

b. Blended family: Bring all items listed above plus:

(1) Divorce decree / custody agreements

(2) Adoption papers and/or legal name change documents

c. If both parents cannot be present for the appointment, or sole custody / adoption has not been established, use DS Form 3053, which must be signed and notarized by the absent parent (the DS 3053 is valid for only 90 days after notarization), as well as a copy of the front and back of the ID card that was used when completing the DS 3053.

Official Passport and Visa Center

(315) 772-2815 / (315) 772-1255

Clark Hall, Bldg. 10720, Room A1-24

Mount Belvedere Boulevard


Appointments are required: (315) 772-2815