Commute Trip Reduction
Share your commute and join a van pool!
What is van pool?
A van pool is a group of five to 15 people sharing the ride to work in a transit agency-provided van. Vanpooling saves you money on gas and wear-and-tear on your personal vehicle. It also gives you time to do things other than sitting alone in traffic. You can get help joining a van pool or creating one that fits your schedule by filling out the van pool request form and indicate you are traveling to JBLM.
$$ How can I save money?
All Department of Defense employees are eligible for up to $270 subsidy each month called the Mass Transit Benefit Program. The benefit is applied to the vanpool fare charged by the transit agency. You save money because your personal vehicle stays at home while you enjoy your van pool commute. The transit agency takes care of the costs of vehicle gas, maintenance and insurance.
How can I get started?
You can easily explore current van pools by going to transit agency websites:
- Intercity Transit serves Thurston and Lewis County residents ⚠ (intercitytransit.com)
- Kitsap Transit for Kitsap County residents ⚠ (kitsaptransit.com)
- Pierce Transit for Pierce County residents ⚠ (piercetransit.org)
- Pierce Trips promotes commute options for Pierce County residents ⚠ (piercetrips.com)
- King County Metro for King County residents (metro.kingcounty.gov rideshare)
Our team is ready to help you find the right van pool for you and to get your MTBP. For help, email the vanpool coordinator here: email@example.com.