HOW CAN YOU SAVE ENERGY?
- Extinguish the lights when you leave the room.
- Power down your computer and its peripherals when away from your desk for an extended period of time and at the end of the duty day.
- Unplug electronics and appliances when they are not in use.
- Install a power strip or Smart Strip to reduce electrical load.
- Keep windows and doors closed when a climate control system is in operation.
- Use natural lighting when and where possible.
- Keep thermostats set at 78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter, in accordance with Army regulations.
- Change your light bulbs to compact fluorescent lights or light emitting diodes. CFLs and LEDs consume only a fraction of the energy consumed by their incandescent counterparts.
- Set your water heater to a temperature of 120 degrees.
- Dress according to the weather conditions and the conditions in your home or office.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and laundry, and wash with cold water when possible.
- Buy Energy Star rated electronics and appliances.
- Use fans to increase air circulation, especially in the summer.
Energy Month articles:
- Day Burner story
- Building Energy Monitor story
- Thermostat article
- JBLM energy monitors save power, taxpayer dollars