To provide information concerning retirement services. Retirement Services Office (RSO) administers the Retirement Services Program to Soldiers, their family members, and retired military and their families.
The Army Retirement Services Office develops Army policy and oversees Army programs worldwide that prepare Soldiers and their Families for retirement, assist survivors of Soldiers who die on active duty, and serve Retired Soldiers, surviving spouses, and their Families until death in order to comply with federal laws, encourage Retired Soldiers to be Soldiers For Life, and improve recruiting and retention. In accordance with AR 600-8-7, Army Retirement Services develops Army policy and procedures for the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) program; publishes Echoes, the newsletter for Retired Soldiers and surviving spouses and their families; develops policy for the operation of the Army Retirement Services Program; and administers the Army Chief of Staff's (CSA) Retiree Council.
NOTE: Upcoming Pre-Retirement Orientations will be held Feb. 8, April 12, June 14, Aug. 9, Oct. 11 and Dec. 13, in Room 207 of the Strom Thurmond Bldg, Fort Jackson from 1-4:30 p.m.. For details contact the Retirement Services Office at (803) 751-6715 or (803) 751-5523.
Retirement Services Officer: (803) 751-5523; DSN 734-5523
Assistant Retirement Services Officer: (803) 751-5495; DSN 734-5495
FAX (803) 751-5403; DSN 734-5403
Areas of Responsibility
Areas of Responsibility Include:
1. Receive DA Form 4187 (Request for Retirement Enlisted) (click for example)
- Conducts on-on-one SBP counseling for all retiring Soldiers, and their family members
- Assists retiring Soldiers and family members with completion of the DD Form 2656 (Data for Payment of Retired Personnel)
- Processes the DD Form 2656 electronically using TRANSPROC to the Department of Defense Finance and Accounting Services, Cleveland (DFAS-CL)
- Other services and related information related to pre-retirement services such as: retirement application processing, retirement orders, and final out-processing procedures
- Retirement Review Ceremonies are held the last Tuesday of the month at 0900 in the Post Theater. Dress rehearsals are held on the last Monday of the month at 0800 in the Post Theater. For more information concerning Retirement Ceremonies please call: (803) 751-1675
- Counsels and assists survivors of retired Soldiers, and Soldiers who die while on active duty regarding their SBP options and entitlements, and the proper processing of their SBP elections, which include: counseling on Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and its relationship to SBP
- Publishes / mails retiree newsletters at least annually
- Conducts an annual Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD)
- Provides information and filing assistance for the “Annuities for Certain Military Spouses,” or ACMSS, also known as “Forgotten Widows”
- Provides information and assistance to Soldiers, spouses, and former spouses regarding the Uniformed Serves Former Spouse’s Protection Act (USFPA)
- Assists / Advises retired Soldiers in understanding and applying for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)
- Provides information to retired Soldiers on Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP)
- Assists retire Soldiers and family members in obtaining: copies of lost documents (i.e., DD Form 214, retirement orders, and medical records); re-issuance of military awards; and issuance of military ID Cards
- Provides retired Soldiers and their families with information and referrals on a myriad of other benefits / entitlements including: Veterans Affairs (VA), TRICARE medical / dental; Social Security / MEDICARE benefits; and others.
View retired Soldier’s pay account
- View annuitant’s pay account
Retirement Planning Guide
Retired Soldier Handbook
HCHV Community Resource Guide