The mission of the legal assistance program is to assist eligible individuals in a timely and professional manner by meeting their needs for information on personal legal matters and resolving their personal legal problems whenever possible.
Persons eligible to receive legal assistance:
* Active Component members and their Families.
* Reserve Component members who are serving on active duty for more than 29 days, and their Family Members;
* Retirees who are receiving military retirement and their Family Members;
* Surviving Family Members who would be entitled to legal assistance if the service or retired member were alive.
* DoD civilians (a) against whom pecuniary liability has been recommended under AR 735-5 or (b) who are deploying to a combat zone or on a contingency operation, but only on matters related to deployment.
* Primary next of kin as defined in AR 600-8 for matters related to settlement of an estate of Active Army or Reserve service members who die while in a military duty status.
Types of cases where assistance can be provided:
* annulments * separation / divorce
* custody * support (AR 608-99)
* visitation * paternity
* adoption * PINS (person in need of supervision) / JD (juvenile delinquent)
* wills * advance medical directives
* testamentary trusts * designation of life insurance beneficiaries
* leases * purchase
* sale * warranty of habitability
* landlord-tenant disputes * lease termination under SCRA (Servicemembers Civil Relief Act)
* contracts * warranties
* lending agreements * Fair Debt Collection Act
* Fair Credit Reporting Act * Unfair Acts & Deceptive Practices
* SCRA (Servicemembers Civil Relief Act) * USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act)
* bankruptcy * insurance disputes
* name change for adult * driving privileges
* line of duty * financial liability investigations
* OER/NCOER appeals * bars to reenlistment
* driving suspensions * chapter actions
* memoranda of reprimand * suspension of favorable action (flags)
* Article 138 complaints * compassionate reassignments
* Qualitative Management Program * security clearance revocations
* SCRA stay in proceedings * defenses
* real property tax * personal property tax
* federal income tax * state income tax
Civilian Criminal Matters
* traffic infractions * violations
* misdemeanors * felonies
New York Attorney General’s Office: https://ag.ny.gov/