United States District Court

Fort Belvoir, which includes portions of Richmond Highway (Route 1), Fairfax County Parkway, and Jeff Todd Way are within the Special Maritime and Territorial Jurisdiction of the United States, in the Eastern District of Virginia.  As such, all traffic violations, petty offenses, misdemeanors, and felonies committed on Fort Belvoir are prosecuted in the United States District Court in Alexandria, Virginia, most often presided over by a Magistrate Judge.

The United States District Court is located at 401 Courthouse Square, Alexandria, VA 22314.  There is no parking available at the courthouse, so those with court dates are encouraged to arrive early and find either street parking or park in one of the paid parking garages nearby.  The courthouse is also centrally located on the blue and yellow Metro lines and a 5 minute walk from the King Street and Eisenhower Metro Stations.

Individuals appearing in court should dress in accordance with the dignity and decorum of a Federal District Court.  Suits and equivalent business attire is highly recommended. At a minimum, defendants should wear business casual clothing. No cell phones, lighters or electronic devices of any type are permitted in the courthouse.  Such items should be left in your vehicle or at home.

Office of the Clerk, United States District Court – (703) 299-2100, www.vaed.uscourts.gov

Central Violations Bureau – (800) 827-2982, www.cvb.uscourts.gov

Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, Fort Belvoir – (703) 805-4390, (703) 805-4408

Frequently Asked Questions:

1) Why did I receive a federal ticket if I was on Route 1 or Fairfax County Parkway and not on Fort Belvoir?

Fort Belvoir is exclusive Federal jurisdiction, which means that only a Federal Court can dispense of cases originating from Fort Belvoir.  Route 1, Fairfax County Parkway, and Jeff Todd Way are all within the boundaries of Federal property, and therefore fall under Federal jurisdiction.

2) My ticket says “MCA” on the court date.  What does this mean and what is an optional ticket?

Box A of a ticket will either be blank or have the letters “MCA” written on it.  Box B of a ticket will either have a dollar amount or have “MCA” written on it.  “MCA” stands for Mandatory Court Appearance.  If your ticket has “MCA” on it, you must appear in Court on the date written on the bottom of the ticket.  However, if your ticket has a dollar amount, it is an optional ticket.  For optional tickets, you have the option of either paying the dollar amount directly to the Central Violations Bureau, or if you would like to contest the ticket, come to Court on the date written on the ticket.  

3) If I have a payment amount on my ticket, to whom do I make the payment and when is it due?

You must make payment by the date written on the bottom of the ticket.  Payment can be made directly to the Central Violations Bureau at www.cvb.uscourts.gov.

4) What happens if I don’t pay my ticket or appear in Court?

If you fail to pay the collateral amount due or fail to appear on the date listed on the ticket, the Judge may issue a warrant for your arrest.  If you were cited for a traffic violation, your driving privileges may be suspended by the appropriate Department of Motor Vehicles.

5) What if I can’t make it on the scheduled Court date?

If you are unable to appear in Court on the date listed on your ticket, you must call the Office of the Clerk at (703) 299-2100 to reschedule the Court hearing.

6) Do I need to hire a defense attorney?

Depending on the type of crime committed, a defense attorney may or may not be advisable.  A defense attorney is not required for the initial court appearance.  After the initial appearance, if you feel it necessary to speak with a defense attorney, you will be given the opportunity to do so.