As a service member or eligible family member, you can vote absentee while living away from your voting residence — and we can help.

Voting is one of our most fundamental rights as U.S. citizens. Elections are managed individually by the 50 states, four territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands), and the District of Columbia. This equates to 55 sets of rules for absentee voting, but the basic steps are simple:

  • Citizens register to vote and request an absentee ballot by filling out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), and sending it to their election office in their state of legal residence.
  • The election office approves the FPCA, disapproves the FPCA, or requests additional clarifying information.
  • Once the FPCA is approved, the election office sends an absentee ballot to the citizen.
  • The citizen completes and returns their voted ballot to their election office by their state's deadline.

If you need assistance, please reach out to the installation Voting Assistance Office.

FPCA.jpgFederal Post Card Application

The Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) will allow you to start the absentee voting process as it is standardized for use across all states and will extend your eligibility to receive a ballot for all federal elections for at least one calendar year. The FPCA acts as both a registration and absentee ballot request form. Submit a new FPCA every year and when you move.

FWAB.jpgFederal Write-In Absentee Ballot

In the event your absentee ballot does not arrive in time, you can use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) form to cast your vote.


The Army Voting Action Officer can be reached at 502.799.8446 or visit Army Voting for more information.