When attempting to obtain a Common Access Card, proof of Identity is mandatory
Below is guidance for acceptable identification documents:
- All documents must be originals, or original court certified copy.
- All foreign documents must be originals with an Apostille and translated in English. Please contact the department of Foreign Ministry Affairs in the country of issuance or Google "Apostille certification & country" to obtain guidance.
- All court documentation must be state or county certified stating that it has been filed and recorded in the courthouse.
- When a Social Security (SS) number is required, you may use a SS Card.
- Driver's Licenses must have an actual date of expiration.
If you are replacing a lost or stolen CAC, you must present a memorandum from the Military Police (MP), or your Security Manager at the time are seen stating that you have reported the card lost or stolen to them and the date it was reported.
E-4s and below are required to bring a counseling statement signed by their Commander or 1st Sergeant in lieu of the memorandum from the Security Manager.
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED FOR ID CARD ISSUANCE
CAC: Active Duty, Reserve, Guard, Civilian, Contractor, NAF, and AAFES
Promotion orders, E4 or above (if rank change)
Two valid forms of ID
Enterprise email address if Department of Army (mail.mil) - not required for CAC issuance
Contractors must be verified in Contractor Verification System (every time a card is issued)
Geneva Convention CAC:
Contractor – must have a SPOT LOA (Letter of Authorization) with the proper boxes checked.
Civilian – Copy of Orders generated and completed through the Defense Travel System, or a completed DD Form 1610.
Lost or stolen CAC:
You must present a memorandum from the Military Police (MP), or your Security Manager E-4s and below are required to bring a counseling statement signed by their Chain of command in lieu of the memorandum.
Retired Military - DD Form 214 or retirement orders and two valid forms of ID.
Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) - DD Form 214 and two valid forms of ID.
DAV (initial issuance) -- Two valid forms of ID letter from Veterans Affairs Administration stating member is 100 percent disabled and authorizes commissary and exchange privileges along with a DD Form 214.
Dependent ID: **Sponsors must accompany their Family members at all times. However, this facility does accept power of attorney in the absence of the Sponsor, or a DD Form 1172 that is generated by a DEERS/ID Cards Facility within the last 90 days.
Spouse – Two valid forms of ID (Medicare Card if turning age 65.
New spouse enrollment –Photo ID, Birth Certificate or Passport, Social security card and Marriage certificate with seal.
Un-remarried Widow – Two valid forms of ID (Medicare Card if turning age 65)
Former Spouse – Two valid forms of ID (Medicare Card if turning age 65).
Newborn – Birth verification from the hospital can be used for initial enrollment social security card and birth certificate must be turned in within 90 days
Dependent under age 18 - No ID necessary
Dependent over age 21 – (Student) – Two valid forms of ID, Letter from school registrar office stating full time enrollment (Verification from Clearing House is also acceptable), and the expected graduation date at accredited college.
Dependent over age 21 – (Incapacitated Child) – Two valid forms of ID, Current Dependency Determination* Medical Sufficiency Letter
Other Dependent – (Parent, Parent-in-Law, etc.) – Two valid forms of ID, Current Dependency Determination.
To view the individual requirements for obtaining a CAC card, please click here.
Ways to Verify and Update DEERS
• ON-LINE: You have two options for updating personal information online:
Visit the DEERS Web Site at: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/address and follow the steps to update your address, email address, and phone numbers on line. (MUST have CAC or DFAS PIN)
Via the Beneficiary Web Enrollment Web Site at: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/bwe/indexAction.do This site is linked directly to the DEERS database, so when you update your information via this portal, it not only updates DEERS, but also with your regional contractor. (MUST have a CAC or DFAS PIN)
• BY PHONE: Call the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office at 1-800-538-9552 to update your addresses, email address, and phone number. (TTY/TDD for the deaf: 1-866-363-2883)
• BY FAX: Fax address, email address or phone number changes to the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office at 1-831-655-8317.
• BY MAIL: Mail changes to the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office. You must include supporting documentation if you are updating a Family member’s status:
Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
• IN PERSON
To view the individual requirements for enrolling or changing information in DEERS, click here.