- Hours: Mon-Thurs, 0800-1200 and 1300-1600, Fri 0800-1200
- Phone: (301) 677-9898
- Currently working remotely
- The Claims Division processes several types of claims for and against the government
- For additional information, links, and documents, click here
*If you are seeking services, please call (301) 677-9504 for service availability. You can also check this page for updates. Please note that the office will be closed to walk-ins from 18 Dec through 2 Jan. Please call for an appointment if you need any service (including notary service) during these dates.
Normal Business Hours: Mon-Fri, 0800-1200 and 1300-1600
- Phone: (301) 677-9504 / 9536
- The Legal Assistance Division provides direct, confidential civil legal services to individuals authorized in Army Regulation 27-3, including members of the uniformed services of the U.S. and their family members, retired military personnel and their family members, survivors of members of the uniformed services who would be eligible if the service member were alive, and Reserve Component personnel on active duty for thirty days or more. All clients must show valid Military ID.
- Limited walk-in services are available for the drafting and notarization of Powers of Attorney (General and Special) and the notarization of documents, although it is strongly recommended that you call ahead and/or make an appointment to reduce waiting time. Preventive law hand-outs are available on a wide range of topics.
- To consult with an attorney, you must make an appointment. Attorney appointments are available for all case types specified by AR 27-3, including estate planning, military administrative matters, family law, real property/landlord-tenant, SCRA issues, and consumer transactions. Appointments may be held either in-person or by telephone and are scheduled up to two weeks in advance (same day service may be available for urgent issues or for immediately deploying service personnel). Callers leave a detailed message, which will be returned in the order received, or an email web request may be submitted (via link below).
- The Legal Assistance Division no longer operates a tax filing center. If you have received a tax notice from the IRS or a state tax office, depending on the complexity of your tax issue, we may be able to assist, please call us to discuss. Alternative routine filing options and assistance are available from:
For additional information, links, and documents, click here
Trial Defense Service (TDS) Field Office
- ·Hours: By appointment only
- Phone: (301) 677-9218
- TDS counsels Soldiers regarding pre-trial restraint, non-judicial punishment (Article 15s), rights advice, and various adverse administrative actions taken pursuant to military regulations. TDS attorneys also represent Soldiers during military criminal investigations, before elimination or grade reduction boards, and in trial by Court-Martial.
- TDS personnel are completely independent of local commands and post legal advisors.
- For TDS services contact Ms. Andrea Hap at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 677-9218. If you are unable to reach her, please leave a detailed message.
- If you are being questioned by military law enforcement or command, you may invoke UCMJ, Article 31, which is your right to remain silent, until you speak with an attorney.
- Other Services
Criminal Law Division (Military Justice)
- Hours: 0900-1700
- Phone: (301) 677-9695
- The Criminal Law Division prosecutes Soldiers in trials by Court-Martial and advises supported commanders on a wide range of administrative and judicial actions.
- This division does not provide services to individual Soldiers or to commands who do not fall under the General Court-Martial Convening Authority of the Fort Meade Garrison Commander.
Criminal Law Division (Magistrate Court)
- Hours: As scheduled
- Anyone who receives a ticket while on Fort Meade must appear before a Magistrate Judge unless he or she chooses to pay the ticket prior to the hearing date. You can pay the collateral amount due either:
- By mail:
US Courts – CVB
PO Box 70939
Charlotte, NC 28272-0939
- By phone: 1-800-827-2952 (extension 0)
- By website: http://www.cvb.uscourts.gov/
- In some cases, appearance before the judge is mandatory and the dollar amount cannot be paid in lieu of your court appearance.
Procurement and Administrative Law (PAL) Division
- Hours: 0800-1600
- Phone: (301) 677-9174
- The PAL Division advises commanders and staff of supported organizations on a wide variety of legal issues, including contract and fiscal law, labor, employment, and civilian personnel law, ethics and standards of conduct, administrative investigations and proceedings, and environmental and real-estate law.
The services of this branch are available to Garrison directorates and other organizations in accordance with support agreements.