• What is absentee voting and how is it done?
    • absentee voting is conducted by mail, and sometimes in person before Election  Day.
  • To be eligible, you must:
    • be a citizen of the United States
    • be a resident of the state in which you're planning to register
    • be at least 18-years-old at the time of the next election
  • To be eligible, you must not:
    • be imprisoned or on parole for a conviction or felony
    • be currently judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
  • How do I register to vote? And when?
    • before you can vote, you have to register. Many States have a different  deadlines for voter registration. In most States, you need to register at least 30  days before the election.
    • visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website at http://www.fvap.gov  to view your State’s requirements, and to download registration and voting  resources.
  • Request and Receive Your Ballot: When you register as a Special Absentee Voter, you can choose to have your ballot mailed, emailed or faxed to you. You may even  be able to download it from the county's website. For additional information and resources, as well as answers to many frequently asked questions visit  ww.fvap.gov, or contact the Installation Voting Assistance Officer (IVAO), Ms. Niamh A. Knight-Sheen DSN: 314-637-7136

VAP - What do I do now?

Separating from the Service

  • As you transition back to civilian life, you will no longer be covered by the Overseas Citizens Absentee  Voting Act . You and your eligible family members should notify your local election official of your  change in voter registration status and update your information to vote locally. You may do this in either  one or two easy steps.
  • If you have voted absentee or locally and are staying in the same voting residence after separation:
    • Step 1: Notify your election official of your change in status and that you will be voting at the poll  site in future elections. A sample letter is provided for your convenience.
  • If you voted absentee or locally and are moving to a new State or county after separation:
    • Step 1: Notify your election official of your change in status and that you will no longer be voting  in that jurisdiction. A sample letter is provided for your convenience.
    • Step 2: Complete a National Voter Registration Form to register as a civilian.
  • Additional information about registering to vote locally can be found on your State/Territory Election  websites.


  • If you move within your existing county, you must complete a new voter registration form to update your  new address. If you move to a different county or state, you must re-register with your new county  and/or state. To find this information, visit your state election office’s Web site, or visit FVAP.gov.
  • Contact both your former and your new election offices regarding your registration status. The voter  registration application may ask that you provide your previous name, address, county and state. Your new election office uses this information to notify your former election office that you no longer reside in  that jurisdiction.
  • If you are living in another state temporarily, You should register to vote using the address of your  permanent residence. If you receive your mail at a P.O. Box, you can provide that information on the  voter registration application, under the category of mailing address.