Fort Campbell has 131 known historic period cemeteries with over 1200 individuals buried here. The earliest marked grave dates to 1821. Interments continued up until 1941 when Fort Campbell acquired the land. The map below shows where those cemeteries are generally located. Cemeteries located in the Cantonment and Impact Areas were relocated off post. Ancestral cemeteries located on Fort Campbell are not available for new interments according to Army Regulation 201-190.
The Cultural Resources Management Program offers descendants genealogical information and arranges cemetery visits. For more information, please contact us at 270-798-9104. A list of identified graves located on Fort Campbell is available for download. There are numerous unmarked graves which are not included on this list.
Go to the Visitor Check-In page for information about visiting Fort Campbell without a military ID.
German POW Cemetery
Fort Campbell was one of 142 German Prisoner of War Internment Camp locations in the United States during WWII. Three separate POW camps were located on the installation, built to house 1,000 prisoners each. Many of these prisoners were contracted out to the local farming community to help fill the labor shortfall. All POWs held here were returned by April 1946.
Five prisoners died during their confinement. Josef Reidinger, Eugen Ulrich, Guenter Cassens, Kurt Franke and Herbert Lindner are buried in the only official Army cemetery on post. A civilian named William Dennis, a local farmer who died in 1899, is buried in the back of the cemetery. His remains were found during the construction of Sabre Heliport in 1974 and was reinterred in the German POW Cemetery. It is located on Rail Unloading Road and is the only cemetery Fort Campbell manages and maintains. This cemetery is closed for future interments.
German POW Cemetery Location