Vehicle Registration

Vehicles brought from the U.S., or purchased locally, must be registered with U.S. Army Europe. All shipped vehicles and used vehicles purchased in Germany must pass a safety inspection before they can be registered.

Personnel leaving (ETS or PCS) or individuals who have lost logistical support must turn in their plates to Vehicle Registration (not the MP Station) prior to leaving the Wiesbaden community.

Appointments for Vehicle Registration must be made online.  A CAC is not required.  Be aware that the appointment system is not accessible via Internet Explorer when using a government computer.             

 Click here to make an appointment at the Vehicle Registration Office.

Please note that all appointments from the previous system have been automatically transferred into the new system.

Vehicle Inspections                      

A mechanical inspection must be completed not more than 75 days before registration renewal. Other than new vehicles, POVs may not bet registered for more than 24 months. POVs may be inspected and registered for a 24 months inspection. An inspection is also required when the registration has been canceled for failure to renew the registration or to provide proof of liability insurance. U.S. Forces members may obtain a courtesy inspection before selling or buying a U.S. Forces-registered POV or before buying a German-registered POV if the POV is properly registered and operational. 

Click here to make an inspection appointment.

Vehicles & Licenses

Department of Defense ID cardholders in Germany (service members, Family members, assigned civilians and some contractors) are allowed to register their personally-owned vehicles (POV) with the U.S. military. These vehicles are not subject to German taxes or German vehicle registration.

DoD ID card holders are eligible to obtain a USAREUR driver's license. With this license, ID card holders are authorized to drive a USAREUR-plated vehicle or other German-registered vehicles. They are also authorized to purchase a limited amount of gasoline or diesel fuel without paying taxes.

Registration Checklists


 Other Links