Identification Cards (ID Cards):

The Fort McCoy Personnel Services Branch can issue ID cards for members of all branches of service — active, reserve, guard, retirees and dependents — as well as Department of Defense civilian employees and contractors. ID Card services are provided by appointment only.

Two valid forms of identification, one of which must contain a photo, are required for issuance of an ID card. Examples of valid identification are: a military/civilian/contractor/dependent ID card; a driver's license; a state-issued identification card; a Social Security card, a birth certificate or a passport. A full list of acceptable forms of identification can be found online at or through the Fort McCoy DEERS office.

Please note: All forms of identification used to fulfill the requirement for the INITIAL issuance of an ID card must be current (unexpired) to be considered valid. For RENEWAL of ID cards for RETIREES, DOD CIVILIANS, and CONTRACTORS, all forms of ID must be current (unexpired) to be considered valid. For RENEWAL of ID cards for MILITARY MEMBERS or DEPEDENDENTS, an expired CAC or Dependent card may be used as a secondary form of ID; all other ID must be current (unexpired).

Dependents obtaining ID cards must be accompanied by their sponsor, or a valid power-of-attorney document must be supplied. The sponsor also may sign a Department of Defense Form 1172-2 (Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) in advance, either in person at the office or online with a CAC at the RAPIDS Self Service website ( ) after creating an account. Military dependents who are age 18 or older now need TWO unexpired forms of ID to receive a new ID card.

Active-duty servicemembers and servicemembers reaching retirement age also must have orders/contracts with them when obtaining ID cards.

Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS):

Adding a spouse or child to DEERS requires presentation of original documents (marriage certificate, birth certificates, driver’s license and Social Security cards). If a sponsor previously was divorced, divorce papers (and a Department of Defense Form 214 if in RETIRED status) are required. Before visiting the office, please call regarding any questions and to verify which documents will be required to accomplish any changes to DEERS.


 = Link to a non-governmental site. IMCOM is not responsible for the content of links outside