The Fort McCoy Installation Legal Office provides a variety of legal services to the Fort McCoy Command and military community. Additionally, claim related services are available to the general public when a member of the public or an organization is involved in an incident involving financial loss caused by a member of the Army or Department of the Army Civilian Employee while on official duty.


Claims for property damage and/or personal injury or wrongful death caused by the negligence of a government employee acting within the scope of employment may be payable under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) or the Military Claims Act (MCA). A claim must be presented to the Army or other appropriate federal agency within 2 years of accrual. The date of filing is the date of receipt by the United States Army, not the date of mailing. The act of filing a claim does not guarantee compensation.

To file a claim, please complete the SF-95 ( according to the instructions on page 2. If a potential claimant is unable to obtain an electronic version of the SF-95 and needs a hard copy mailed to them, please call the Installation Legal Office at 608-388-2165 to provide the mailing information.

When initiating the SF-95, please use the following address information for Block 1: Fort McCoy Installation Legal Office Claims Services, 2171 South 8th Avenue, Fort McCoy WI 54656.

A properly completed SF-95 must contain all information requested, including a sum certain in Block 12 (a-d), and no digital signatures are accepted.

Along with the completed SF-95 you must provide any additional documentation that will support your allegations of property damage or personal injury.  Documents required may include receipts, estimates, copies of pay stubs, leave slips, invoices, medical bills, medical records, etc. 

The completed claims packet may be mailed (recommend certified mailing with return receipt) to the address listed above for Block 1, scanned and e-mailed to the following e-mail address:, or delivered in person to the Fort McCoy Installation Legal Office, Claims Services located at the address listed above. Each claim will be investigated and adjudicated by the United States Army according to applicable laws, statutes and regulations. No advanced payments are permitted.  

When a proper claim is filed, an acknowledgement letter will be sent from the Fort McCoy Claims Service Office.

Legal assistance

Eligible legal-assistance clientele may* include:

  • Active-Component Service Members and their dependents.
  • Reserve-Component Members and their dependents if serving for more than 29 days; or, in the case of emergencies.
  • Active Army and Reserve-Component Members and their dependents who are receiving military retirement or retired military disability pay.
  • Surviving family members of Active-Component, Reserve-Component, and Retirees of the Armed Forces of the United States who would be eligible for legal assistance if the Service Member or Retiree were alive.
  • Department of Defense Civilian Employees in limited circumstances; please call for further guidance.
  • Members of other military forces and their dependents while serving in the United States.
  • Fiduciaries (for example, those holding a Power of Attorney) appointed by Active-Component, Reserve-Component or Civilian Employees who are serving in a combat zone.

* Please note that legal assistance services to all but active-duty personnel may be limited due to inadequate staffing and/or if facilities limit the ability to provide particular services.

Types of legal assistance services primarily offered to Active Duty and Reserve Soldiers on extended orders (30+ days) include notaries, powers of attorney, wills, and military administrative matter counseling. Counseling regarding consumer law, landlord/tenant matters, separation/divorce/support/custody issues, the Service Members Civil Relief Act (SCRA), and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) may be available. Criminal matters (military or civilian) and private commercial/business matters are not within the scope of authorized legal assistance.

Legal assistance services available to retirees are limited to notary services, powers of attorney, and wills.

Tax Information

USERRA Advisor

USERRA Rights Act


Powers of Attorney

Wisconsin Bar Attorney Referral Listing

Minnesota Bar Attorney Referral Listing

Wisconsin Law Library Landlord-Tenant Law

Minnesota Attorney General Site for Landlord-Tenant Rights and Responsibilities

Wisconsin Law Library for Divorce

Minnesota Judicial Self Help for Laws, Rules and Resources on Divorce

Army Legal Assistance



= Link to a non-governmental site. IMCOM is not responsible for the content of links outside