In 1995 it was determined that the Fort Knox Cantonment Historic District was eligible for the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) under Criteria A and C. Fort Knox was the primary site for the development and practice of armored warfare for the U.S. Cavalry during the 1930s and played a critical role in training military personnel for tank warfare during World War II (Criterion A). The permanent cantonment at Fort Knox embodies the distinctive characteristics of the permanent Army construction during the inter-war period (Criterion C). There are approximately 180 structures that contribute to the Historic District.
In January 1932, Camp Knox was made a permanent installation and has been known as Fort Knox since. As the primary site for the development and practice of armored warfare for the U.S. Cavalry, it played a critical role in training military personnel in the use of mechanized cavalry during the inter-war period and World War II. This growth of mechanized cavalry in the 1930s created the need to construct support facilities and housing. Two phases of permanent construction occurred in the 1930s. Most of these buildings were designed in a Georgian Colonial Revival style and are primarily constructed with bricks and built from standardized plans created by the Army Quartermaster Corps. An Art Deco water treatment plant was also included. The constructing quartermaster at Fort Knox during the first phase of permanent construction in the early 1930s was Captain John A. Gilman. Gilman previously supervised other notable construction projects, including: the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and its approach at Arlington Cemetery and the Kitty Hawk Memorial in North Carolina.
Additionally, Fort Knox has five individually NRHP eligible buildings: Cavalry Chapel (Building 6587), Crittenberger School (Building 4553), Hangar 1 (Building 5220), Landing Ship, Tank (LST) Building (Building 1538), and the Old Guest House (Building 4248).