Army Emergency Relief is the Army's own emergency financial assistance organization and is dedicated to "Helping the Army Take Care of Its Own." The AER program provides commanders a valuable assist in accomplishing their basic command responsibility for the morale and welfare of Soldiers. AER funds are made available to commanders having AER sections to provide emergency financial assistance to Soldiers - active and retired - and their dependents when there is a valid need.

Assistance may be provided in the form of a non-interest bearing loan, a grant (an outright gift of funds) if repayment of loan will cause undue hardship, or a combination of the two. Should a loan be given, it will be prorated from the Soldier's military pay. It is always best to discuss the payment plan with an AER representative.


  • Soldiers on extended active duty and their dependents. Spouses may receive financial assistance; however, they must be geographically separated from the service member and possess a Power of Attorney, military ID card and provide substantiating documents (rental agremenet, car repair estimate) as part of the application process.
  • Members of the Reserve Components of the Army (Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve) on continuous active duty for more than 30 days and their dependents. (This applies to Soldiers on active duty for training (ADT) or serving under various sections of Title 10, U.S. Code.)
  • Soldiers retired from active duty because of longevity or physical disability, or retired upon reaching age 60 (Reserve Components) and their dependents.
  • Widows/Widowers and orphans of Soldiers who died while on active duty or after they retired.

Some Categories of Assistance

  • Emergency leave
  • Rent, utlities, phone
  • Vehicle repairs, insurance, payment
  • Assistance for widows and survivors

AER Cannot...

  • Help pay for non-essentials
  • Finance ordinary leave or vacation
  • Pay fines or legal expenses
  • Help liquidate or consolidate debt
  • Assist with house purchase or home improvements
  • Help rent or lease a rehicle
  • Pay credit card bills
  • Replace funds overdrawn from bank account

To Apply, You Must Have: