Army Emergency Relief (AER) is a private, non-profit organization established to assist Soldiers and Retirees in emergency financial situations due to no fault of their own. Financial assistance is given in the form of an interest-free loan, grant, or combination of the two. Loans are repaid by an allotment.
To apply for AER assistance, the Soldier simply visit AER to receive the information packet of all required documentation needed for the follow-up appointment
AER helps with the following emergency financial needs:
- Rent Utilities
- Emergency transportation & vehicle repair
- Funeral expenses
- Medical/dental expenses
- Personal needs when pay is delayed or stolen
- Other emergency financial needs.
AER partners with other military aid societies to enable local assistance for service members from the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. AER also provides scholarships toward education. AER gives spouses and dependent children of Army Soldiers great opportunities for their first undergraduate degree (some scholarships can reach $4,000 annually)! Application information can be found online through Army Emergency Relief. Contact the Army Emergency Relief Program Manager.
AER’s Education Program is a secondary mission to help Army Families with the costs of education. The three separate scholarship programs are:
Spouse Education Assistance Program
- Applicant must be the Spouse or widow(er) of an active duty or retired Soldier and reside in the United States.
- Stateside applicants must be full time students.
- First undergraduate degrees only.
- Active duty military personnel are not eligible.
Major General James Ursano Scholarship Fund for Dependent Children
- Dependent children, stepchildren, or legally adopted children of Army Soldiers on active duty, retired or deceased while in active duty or retired status.
The children of Grey Area Reservists/National Guard are eligible as well.
Scholarship awards will be awarded up to half the cost of tuition. Scholarship awards are based on financial need, as evidenced by income, assets, Family size, and special circumstances.
Applications and instructions are available for all the scholarships on the AER website.
Resources & Forms
AER Form 600 Commanders Referral (pdf)
AER Form 101 Application for Financial Assistance
Army Emergency Relief (AER) Service Application Checklist (pdf)
Please contact the Fort Myer AER Officer at+1 (703)696-3510 or +1 (703)696-8435