Army Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP)
The 2021 Army Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP) application window opens on 1 August and closes on 1 November, 2021. Please view more information on the Judge Advocate Recruiting Office at JARO (army.mil) and review the 2021 MILPER message below. Fort Meade applicants may contact MAJ Emily Geisinger, firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or to schedule a Staff Judge Advocate (SJA) interview.
- This office processes several different types of claims for and against the government
- No appointment necessary
- Standard Form 95
- Blank Attorney Representation Agreement
- Statement of Incident Questionnaire
- Military Claims Office Finder
- PClaims Portal Center for Personal Claims Support (CPCS)
Legal Assistance Division
- We provide direct, confidential legal services to clients authorized in Army Regulation 27-3.
- These services include:
- Advice and assistance on legal separations and other family law matters
- Wills and estate planning
- Landlord tenant problems, debt disputes, contracts, and other issues
- Notary services
- Powers-of-Attorney documents
- A wide range of informational materials
Trial Defense Division
- Counsels soldiers regarding pretrial restraint, non-judicial punishment (Article 15s), and various adverse administrative actions taken pursuant to military regulations.
- Represents soldiers during criminal investigations and before elimination or grade reduction boards.
- Represents soldiers charged with military criminal offenses at trial.
- Trial defense lawyers are completely independent of local commands and post legal advisors
- If you are being questioned:
- Do not say anything
- Do not waive your rights
- Ask to talk to a lawyer
- Magistrate Court
- Anyone who receives a ticket while on Fort Meade must appear before the Magistrate Judge unless he or she chooses to pay the ticket prior to the hearing date. You can pay the collateral amount due either by mail, phone, or via website.
- In some cases, appearance before the judge is mandatory and the dollar amount cannot be paid in lieu of your court appearance.
- Mail tickets to:
- US Courts – CVB
PO Box 70939
Charlotte, NC 28272-0939
Phone: CVB: 1-800-827-2982 (extension 0)
- US Courts – CVB
Criminal Law Division
- This division prosecutes soldiers in all general and special courts-martial.
- Trial counsel and legal specialists conduct and/or advise commanders on matters including, but not limited to:
- Administrative separation boards
- Separation actions
- Article 15s
- This division manages all cases through the pretrial and post-trial processes.
- We prepare all criminal law actions for the commander's review and action.
- Phone: (301) 677-9383 or (301) 677-9695
Procurement and Administrative Law Branch
- This office provides legal advice and written opinions to commanders and staff members on a wide variety of issues.
- The advice involves questions arising from the commanders' and staff members' official duties.
- The broad legal categories include:
- civilian personnel
- Administrative ethics
- Environmental law
- The services of this branch are available to Garrison and other organizations in accordance with support agreements.
- Advice is based on statutes, Army regulations, Department of Defense regulations, and case law.
- Some of the people in the branch specialize in particular areas. Written, telephonic, and electronic legal advice is available.