Driver's License

The only authorized operator's permit utilized in Japan is the USFJ Form 4EJ issued by the local law enforcement organization at place of assignment. This criteria includes all dependents regardless of whether they are employed or not. In order to obtain USFJ Form 4EJ, the individual must attend a 4-hour driver's training course given every Tuesday, from 8 am until 12 pm at Building 102, South Camp Zama by the Safety Office. Attendance in this course, successful completion of a 45-question test, and a valid stateside USFK, USAEUR, or international license is required to obtain the USFJ Form 4EJ.

Student Driver's Permit

Student driver's permit (temporary). A temporary permit for a four-wheeled vehicle may be issued for a 90-day period to individuals 18 years of age or older. To obtain this permit the individual must attend the driver's training course and successfully complete the test mentioned above. In addition, the individual must obtain an eye test at the Motor Pool. This permit is valid only when the student driver is accompanied by an adult (21 years or older) licensed in accordance with the above. The practice vehicle will display AJ Sign 19EJ (Student Temporary Permit, Under Practice), both front and rear, and will be allowed to operate only at designated times and locations.

Minor's Student Permit

Family members 16 and 17 years of age may receive a student permit. The student must complete all the requirements above and then submit a written application (17th ASG Form 68). The permit is valid only when the student driver is accompanied by an licensed adult (21 or older).

Two-Wheeled Vehicle Permit

Student permits require authorization from the sponsor's commander or supervisor. Students must also attend a motorcycle briefing, pass a written test and attend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.


When operating a motor vehicle in Japan, a driver must possess a motor vehicle license that authorizes driving in Japan, issued by the local Provost Marshal office. Under Japanese law, every licensed driver is a professional driver. Therefore, all drivers are expected to exercise an extremely high standard of care. Drunk driving is a criminal offense. The United States has primary jurisdiction over vehicular accidents while in the performance of official duty.

Pursuant to USARJ Supplement 1 to AR 190-5, Motor Vehicle Traffic Supervision, paragraph 2-1c, personnel on Temporary Duty (TDY) or Invitational Travel Orders for less than 90 days are not permitted to operate any motor vehicles, except as required for official duty. Additionally, personnel on TDY are not authorized to rent vehicles from commercial agencies.

Registering Vehicles on Base

All personnel on Camp Zama will not possess more than one registered 4-wheeled and one registered 2-wheeled vehicle per licensed vehicle operator up to a maximum of three per household. Permanent vehicle registration must be obtained within 5 days of receiving or acquiring a vehicle. Personnel will report to the designated Provost Marshall (PM) vehicle registration section. At the time of reporting, personnel will be prepared to complete registration with the Japanese authorities and with the local PM within 3 workdays. Personnel for the PM registration section will:

  • Require registrants to present evidence of those items outlined by AR 190-5, paragraph 3-2, and USARJ Reg 190-5.
  • Require registrants to complete AJ Form 631 (Vehicle Registration Worksheet).
  • Prepare necessary documents for registration with the Japanese authorities.
  • Advise and instruct personnel concerning the proper procedure to follow in completing the Japanese and USARJ registration.
  • Upon completion of proper registration with the Japanese authorities and satisfactory completion of the mechanical and appearance inspection, issue DD Form 430 (Military Registration and Certificate of Title of Motor Vehicle) and USFJ Form 15A and/or 15B (Vehicle Registration Decal).

Insurance Requirements -- U.S. Forces personnel will have in effect at the time of registration of their vehicles, and will maintain in effect until registration is canceled, the following types of insurance:

  • Japanese Compulsory Insurance, commonly referred to as JCI. JCI is purchased in 3, 2, or 1 year policies depending on the age of the vehicle and rates are all the same no matter which insurance company.
  • Property Damage Insurance, minimum coverage of 1,800,000 yen (or $18,000). Rates on these insurance policies vary depending on the age of the driver. Special care should be given when purchasing policies to cover minors since notification to the insurance company is necessary and the rates are somewhat higher.


All incidents/accidents involving personal injury to, or death of a Japanese national, or damage to property belonging to a Japanese national must be reported, thoroughly investigated and forwarded to the USAF. The USAF has single-Service claims responsibility in Japan. The Japanese national(s) involved will be advised to contact the local DFAB.

Base Regulations

Cell Phones - Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Traffic -- All motor vehicles must be driven on the left side of the road. It usually takes some time to commit it to memory in order to drive safely.

Accidents -- All accidents must be reported to the Military Police Station immediately on an AJ Form 943 EJ.

Can I Bring My Car From the States?
Shipping your vehicle to Japan can be very costly and large American cars will not navigate well on Japanese roads due to narrow roads and parking spaces. That being said, you can ship your vehicle to Japan but your vehicle will have to meet strict Japanese emission standards etc. that can be quite costly.

Where Should I Buy My Car?

Most overseas military locations, have a "lemon lot" with deals from servicemembers and civilians looking to sell there car prior to PCS'ing. Please remember that depending on when the car's JCI inspection etc. expires, you may have an additional expense added to the price of the car if it's close to the inspection time for that vehicle. Lastly, there are car dealerships very close to post that offer mainly used vehicles that are very reasonably priced as well. Depending on your taste, you can expect to spend anywhere between $500 - $3,000 on a used car in Japan.

Who Will Fix My Car?

Camp Zama Exchange Car Care Center: Mon-Fri 0730-1700, Sat 0900-1600, Sun Closed

Helpful Numbers: Cell: 046-407-1201, Follow the prompts, then dial 1-214-261-2087

Depending on your car's issues, it can be serviced at the Car Care Center on-post. They can also advise you if your car requires off-post servicing at a dealership, etc. The center is located in Bldg. 381 at the gas station.

How Can I Sell My Car Back When I PCS?

You can try to sell your car independently or via a dealership before you PCS. You can also use Junking Services via the Auto Skills Center on post or a car dealership off-post.

Can I bring the Japanese Car I purchased back to the States?

As stated above, changing over vehicle standards from one country to another can be costly. The same goes for most cars in Japan. Please do thorough research via the Auto Skills Center on post or a car dealership off-post prior to making any decisions.