Ensure you have the following documents in this order
2. White Sheet completed
3. 1610/Orders bringing you to Sapper School
5. DA Form 705 (from your unit within 90 days)
7. Hard copy of approved waiver (if applicable)
12. Contact Lens MFR
Class and Graduation Dates
|Class||Report Date||Start Date||End Date|
|009-23||13-Jul-23||14- Jul -23||11-Aug-23|
|010-23||3- Aug -23||4- Aug -23||1-Sep-23|
|011-23||24- Aug-23||25- Aug-23||22- Sep-23|
|012-23||14- Sep-23||15- Sep -23||13-Oct-23|
|001-24||05- Oct-23||06- Oct-23||11-Nov-23|
|002-24||26- Oct -23||27- Oct -23||24-Nov-23|
|003-24||16-Nov -23||17-Nov -23||15-Dec -23|
Eligibility/Pre-requisite Rank and MOS
All Army Components:
- Rank: E3 with waiver
- E4- E7, and O1-O3
- AOC/MOS: 12A, 12B, 12C, and 12N
All USMC Components:
- Rank: E4- E7, and O1-O3
- AOC/MOS: 1302, 1345, and 1371
ABC Foreign allied Soldiers are authorized. Check with your international student office for assistance.
Any service member that does not meet these criteria must request a waiver.
Physical Exam/Medical requirements
A COPY of the physical examination must accompany the student to the course, all three pages for the DD2807-1, DD2808 and supporting documents. The exam must be dated within 18 months of the report date, and state the applicant is medically qualified to attend. A Ranger physical meets the criteria required, however more stringent physicals are accepted. For example, SF, HALO, or Dive.
For those that have been found not qualified IAW AR and DA Pam 40-501 may request a medical waiver. Prepare DD Form 2870, Authorization for Disclosure of Medical or Dental Information. Scan all front and back pages, to include supporting documents of physical. Email the disclosure form and full physical to the Course inbox.
Medical Waivers are good for 90 days once approved.
Use the physical exam checklist, example DD2807-1, and DD2808 to assist you in completing your physical:
Reporting and Day Zero
- Sign in on provided roster at BLDG 6105, Sapper Training Company Headquarters.
- Uniform is Duty Uniform with pen
- Fill out provided Personnel data sheet (White Sheet)
- Ensure you have following documents in this order
- Physical (DD2807-1 and DD2808)
- White Sheet completed
- 1610/Orders bringing you to Sapper School
- DA Form 705 (from your unit within 180 days scoring at minimum 230 total points with no less than 70 points in each event)
- Organizational Certification Letter of preparedness
- Hard copy of approved waiver (if applicable)
- 1300-1500 Sapper Leader Course Headquarters, BLDG 6105-Physical and documents screening
- Lodging is available and open: BLDG 6105 (see "Barracks Location" tab for strip map)
- There is only one authorized parking location
Sapper Training Company Headquarters Building 6105
ENTRANCE FOR IN-PROCESSING BLDG 6105 (1300-1500)
Start Day (Day Zero) TA-106 PT Bubble:
- 0450 Bags stacked outside bubble
- 0500 Formation TA 106 PT Bubble (see below)
- 0500 Roll call
- 0510 Medical records screening
- 0510 Ops document screening
- 0530 SPFT
TA-106 PT BUBBLE
The Sapper Physical Fitness Test (SPFT) is graded IAW current ACFT guidelines. The three events are: Hand-Release Push-Up, Leg Tuck, and the Three Mile Run.
Starting with Sapper Classes 4-20 and 5-20, Sapper candidates are required to report with a valid APFT Score Card (DA Form 705) within the past 180 days with a minimum score of 230 over all with at least 70 points in each event. The APFT will no longer be conducted at Sapper School, this is now part of the home station Battalion Commander's endorsement. Sapper Cadre strongly recommend APFT testing within 30 days of reporting to ensure students are in peak condition. The SPFT will be administered in place of the APFT on the first day of Sapper Leader Course prior to equipment layout. Results will be used for these two classes to determine an OML for entrance to Sapper Leader Course from the wait list. All Sapper Candidates will take the new SPFT, but during this OML based pilot phase, walk-on students will earn the right into the course based on their performance of the SPFT.
For those Soldiers who desire to excel at the SPFT, we recommend they train to meet or exceed the current ACFT standards for the hand release push-up and the leg tuck.
- Hand release push-up (30)
- Leg Tuck (5)
- 3-Mile Run is based on the existing Sapper standard of 24 minutes (8 min/mile pace) and remains an event for points.
The Sapper Leader Course 12 mile road march is one of the most grueling routes in the Army. The RM is a mandatory training requirement that must be successfully completed to meet graduation requirements. The RM must be completed within 3hours with 35lbs of Ruck weight. The weight does not include water, FLC, and weapon.
The difficulty of the route is not the length, but the drastic changes in elevation. The most notable are the infamous 6 mile and 8 mile hills.
For medical waivers see the 'Physical Exam/Medical requirements block' above.
Once Approved Waivers are good for:
- Ordinary waiver (12 Months)
- ITT Memos (6 Months)
- Medical Waivers (90 days)
To request a waiver, individual or unit, must fill out STC Form 1-W.When completed it must be endorsed by the first LTC in your Chain of Command and sent to the Sapper Leader Course email box for approval. Accompanying all waiver requests there must be a Records Brief (ERB, ORB, ARB, SRB ect.), APFT Card (5500/5501 if applicable) for the individual dated within six months.
*O-3 and E-4 Engineers no longer require waivers to attend Sapper Leader Course.
To allow processing time, all waiver must be submitted NLT 30 business days prior to requested class start date. It is highly encourage to submit waiver as early as possible.
Waiver must be completed and signed digitally.
- AOC (Branch)
- MOS (ENLISTED)
- Exception to Recycle Policy
- Refusal to Train/SOR
- Inter Service
For Students that have previously attended the course, but were dismissed for Lack of Motivation, Refusal to Train, or Serious Observation Report (SOR) a waiver must be submitted with that option selected. This waiver must be endorsed by the first O6 in the SM's Chain of Command.
Mandatory Recycle Policy
* We are now implementing General Studies and Patrolling recycles as of class 007-21.
To reduce travel cost, and improve overall chances to successfully complete The Sapper Leader Course the USAES Commandant has established the mandatory recycle policy.
Students that pass entrance requirements will be enrolled into the course. All enrolled students that fail to meet passing criteria in either phase of the course WILL be automatically recycled IAW the USAES Commandant's directive.
Students could remain in student status for up to 70 days. Home station Battalion Commanders may request an Exception to Policy (ETP) to forgo their Soldier's eligibility to recycle on STC Form 1W. The ETP must be approved prior to the Students report date, see waiver section below for more information on ETPs and Waivers.
Failure to apply for an ETP and refusing to continue training, to include refusing to recycle, will result in a negative Academic evaluation report (DA Form 1059).
USAR and ARNG units should use this process if they believe funding may be an issue. If proper funding to recycle is procured after ETP has been approved and you would like your Solder to recycle until completion coordinate with the Sapper Training Company at the first available opportunity for recension.
Academic Evaluation Report (DA Form 1059)
Students will receive a DA Form 1059 for the following reasons.
Graduation of the Sapper Leader Course:
- Honor Graduate
- Distinguished Leadership
- Commandants List
- Successfully completing
Referred Report (Negative DA From 1059)
- Refusal to Train
- Refusing to Recycle without an approved ETP
- Serious Observation Reports
- Excessive De-Merits
- Violation of regulation, policy or established discipline standards
- Negative attitude or lack of motivation
Students will not be given an DA Form 1059 for the following reasons:
- Failure to meet entrance requirements
- Dropped for Medical reasons
- Dropped for Administrative Reason (e.g. Emergency Leave, Deployment)
- Students that Complete the course in good standing without meeting graduation requirements outlined in the Program of Instruction
Sapper Leader Course Headquarters BLDG 6105
Please Call a week prior to graduation to confirm location.
- Lincoln Hall located In Building 3201 on the first floor of the MSCoE building Room 1655
- The Engineer Regimental Room is Located in the FLW Engineer Museum
- COVID-19 negative tests are no longer required. Report as normal. The class will be in restriction of movement for the duration of the course. Please take the most direct route to FLW; sterile travel is not required.
- Masks are required if you are not vaccinated or if you are less than 14 days out from receiving your second vaccination.
- If you are vaccinated plus 14 days you will not be required to wear a mask during the course. You will present your vaccination card at in-processing and receive a colored bead to be laced through your left boot. All those not vaccinated will still be required to wear a mask indoors and during close conduct training.
- Graduations are open, all those attending from off installation or non-vaccinated DOD personnel, will be required to wear a mask inside of Lincoln Hall. Feel free to call Sapper Training Company Operations (573-596-0823) for confirmation of graduation locations.
- All students reporting will report in mask until given guidance from operations at in-processing.
- Individual medical readiness (IMR) items (including periodic health assessment and current dental exam), physical profile documentation and post-deployment health reassessment (PDHRA) will be completed in accordance with AR 600-8-101, paragraph 3-2d(7) and DA form 5123, item 4b; and TRADOC Regulation 350-18, paragraphs 3-21c, 3-21d, and 3-22.
- Soldiers with temporary profiles, which are not a result of operational deployments and prevent full participation in a course, will be removed or deferred from school attendance consideration by their immediate commanders; until the temporary profiles are removed (see AR 350-1, paragraph 3-14b).
- Active or Reserve Component officer (O1-03) in Area of Concentration/MOS 12A/12B and enlisted (E4-E7) (E-3 with waiver), USMC 1302 officer (O-3 or below) or enlisted 1371 (CPL E-4 or above) in Area of Concentration/MOS 12B/12C/12N. Documents required: Task Proficiency memo (signed by LTC or higher),1610/Orders, Sapper, Ranger or Airborne physical (copy, not original) that meets or exceeds the following criteria. Medical fitness standards will be in accordance with AR 40-501, chapter 2 and 5-3 and performed IAW chapter 8. All personnel must arrive with an original physical examination (DD 2807-1 and DD 2808) signed by a physician (MD or DO), dated within 18 months of their reporting date, stating the applicant is medically qualified for attendance at the Sapper Leader Course. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY ALL students must arrive with a completed Medical Screening for the Sapper Leader Course which can be found at https://www.wood.army.mil/sapper/. For age 35 and older: The above criteria with the addition of Fasting Blood Sugar, Fasting Lipid Panel, Complete Blood Count (CBC), Electrocardiogram and rectal exam with Hemoccult testing. The requirements in paragraph 8-25d, AR 40-501, for indications of medical follow-up for elevated or abnormal tests will be followed on the Sapper Leader applicants age 35 and older. Results of follow-up will be forwarded with medical examination to the Sapper Leader Course for review. Original lab work must accompany the physical. All Soldiers require a dental examination with Dentist signature on block #83b of DD Form 2808.
For questions contact the course operations at (573)-596-0823.
Sapper Tactical Task Evaluation (STT)
After the SPFT we will be executing the Sapper Tactical Tasks evaluation at TA 106 (SFPT Bubble)
- Clearance, disassembly, group, reassembly and functions check of M240B.
-Clearance, disassembly, group, reassembly and functions check of M249.
- Place an ASIP radio into operation and transmit.
- Identify terrain features from plotted points on a 1:25:000 map.
- Correctly tie in a primed block of M112 into a line main.