Sapper Tactical Tasks evaluation
Once in-processing is complete, we will be executing the Sapper Tactical Tasks evaluation at TA 106 (SFPT Bubble.) from 1500-1700 Tasks evaluated will be:
- Clearance, disassembly, group, reassembly and functions check of M240B.
-Clearance, disassembly, group, reassembly and functions check of M249.
- Place an ASIP radio into operation and transmit.
- Identify terrain features from plotted points on a 1:25:000 map.
- Correctly tie in a primed block of M112 into a line main.
****NOTE these tasks are not part of the graded portion of SLC at this time and are being conducted for data analysis only. ****
In-processing will take place at 1300-1500 at BLDG 6021. You will report with:
- 1610 (orders bringing you to Sapper Leader Course)
- Battalion Commander letter of preparedness
- Full Physical
- COVID-19 Vaccination card (if you have one)
Class and Graduation Dates
|Class||Report Date||Start Date||End Date|
Eligibility/Pre-requisite Rank and MOS
All Army Components:
- Rank: E4 promotable (with proof of promotable status), E4- E7, and O1-O3
- AOC/MOS: 12A, 12B, 12C, and 12N
All USMC Components:
- Rank: E4- E7, and O1-O2
- AOC/MOS: 1302, 1345, and 1371
ABC Foreign allied Soldiers are authorized. Check with your international student office for assistance.
Any service member that does not meet these criteria must request a waiver.
Physical Exam/Medical requirements
A COPY of the physical examination must accompany the student to the course, all three pages for the DD2807-1, DD2808 and supporting documents. The exam must be dated within 12 months of the report date, and state the applicant is medically qualified to attend. A Ranger physical meets the criteria required, however more stringent physicals are accepted. For example, SF, HALO, or Dive.
For those that have been found not qualified IAW AR and DA Pam 40-501 may request a medical waiver. Prepare DD Form 2870, Authorization for Disclosure of Medical or Dental Information. Scan all front and back pages, to include supporting documents of physical. Email the disclosure form and full physical to the Course inbox.
Required Documents/Packing List
Documents Required during in-processing:
1. Physical (DD2807-1 and DD2808, three pages each)
2. Orders (DA Form 1610, See documents for example)
4. DA Form 705 (from your unit within 6 months, until the ACFT is approved)
5. Organizational Certification Letter of preparedness signed by your Battalion Commander or first LTC in your chain of command(Certified within 90 days of start date, See documents for example)
6. Packing List (See documents)
7. Hard copy of approved waiver (if applicable)
Reporting and Day Zero
- Sign in on provided roster at BLDG 6021, Sapper Training Company Headquarters.
- Uniform is Duty Uniform with pen
- Fill out provided Personnel data sheet (White Sheet)
- Ensure you have following documents in this order
- Physical (DD2807-1 and DD2808)
- White Sheet completed
- 1610/Orders bringing you to Sapper School
- DA Form 705 (from your unit within 180 days scoring at minimum 230 total points with no less than 70 points in each event)
- Organizational Certification Letter of preparedness
- Hard copy of approved waiver (if applicable)
- 1300-1500 Sapper Leader Course Classroom, BLDG 6021-Physical and documents screening
- Lodging is available and open: BLDG 809, 810, 812 (see "Barracks Location" tab for strip map)
Sapper Training Company Headquarters Building 6021
Start Day (Day Zero) TA-106 PT Bubble:
- 0450 Bags stacked outside bubble
- 0500 Formation TA 106 PT Bubble (see below)
- 0500 Roll call
- 0510 Medical records screening
- 0510 Ops document screening
- 0530 SPFT
TA-106 PT BUBBLE
The Sapper Physical Fitness Test (SPFT) is graded IAW current ACFT guidelines. The three events are: Hand-Release Push-Up, Leg Tuck, and the Three Mile Run.
Starting with Sapper Classes 4-20 and 5-20, Sapper candidates are required to report with a valid APFT Score Card (DA Form 705) within the past 180 days with a minimum score of 230 over all with at least 70 points in each event. The APFT will no longer be conducted at Sapper School, this is now part of the home station Battalion Commander's endorsement. Sapper Cadre strongly recommend APFT testing within 30 days of reporting to ensure students are in peak condition. The SPFT will be administered in place of the APFT on the first day of Sapper Leader Course prior to equipment layout. Results will be used for these two classes to determine an OML for entrance to Sapper Leader Course from the wait list. All Sapper Candidates will take the new SPFT, but during this OML based pilot phase, walk-on students will earn the right into the course based on their performance of the SPFT.
For those Soldiers who desire to excel at the SPFT, we recommend they train to meet or exceed the current ACFT 'Black' standards for the hand release push-up and the leg tuck.
The 3-Mile Run is based on the existing Sapper standard of 24 minutes (8 min/mile pace) and remains an event for points.
The Sapper Leader Course 12 mile road march is one of the most grueling routes in the Army. The RM is a mandatory training requirement that must be successfully completed to meet graduation requirements. The RM must be completed within 3hours with 35lbs of Ruck weight. The weight does not include water, FLC, and weapon.
The difficulty of the route is not the length, but the drastic changes in elevation. The most notable are the infamous 6 mile and 8 mile hills.
For medical waivers see the 'Physical Exam/Medical requirements block' below.
To request a waiver, individual or unit, must fill out STC Form 1-W.When completed it must be endorsed by the first LTC in your Chain of Command and sent to the Sapper Leader Course email box for approval. Accompanying all waiver requests there must be a Records Brief (ERB, ORB, ARB, SRB ect.), APFT Card (5500/5501 if applicable) for the individual dated within six months.
*O-3 and E-4 Engineers no longer require waivers to attend Sapper Leader Course.
To allow processing time, all waiver must be submitted NLT 30 business days prior to requested class start date. It is highly encourage to submit waiver as early as possible.
Waiver must be completed and signed digitally.
- AOC (Branch)
- Exception to Recycle Policy
- Refusal to Train/SOR
For Students that have previously attended the course, but were dismissed for Lack of Motivation, Refusal to Train, or Serious Observation Report (SOR) a waiver must be submitted with that option selected. This waiver must be endorsed by the first O6 in the SM's Chain of Command.
- O-3 12A / E-4 12B must submit a STC 1-WRank Waiver to the Sapper Leader Course inbox IOT obtain an ATTRS reservations.Units must ensure that waivers are submitted in a timely manner as SLCreservations fill up at least six months out.
- *O-3 12A / E-4 12B WALK ONS do not need tosubmit a waiver. Units can submit an Intent To Train Memorandum to the SapperLeader Course inbox as a justification for DTS funding.
Mandatory Recycle Policy
* We are now implementing General Studies and Patrolling recycles as of class 007-21.
To reduce travel cost, and improve overall chances to successfully complete The Sapper Leader Course the USAES Commandant has established the mandatory recycle policy.
Students that pass entrance requirements will be enrolled into the course. All enrolled students that fail to meet passing criteria in either phase of the course WILL be automatically recycled IAW the USAES Commandant's directive.
Students could remain in student status for up to 70 days. Home station Battalion Commanders may request an Exception to Policy (ETP) to forgo their Soldier's eligibility to recycle on STC Form 1W. The ETP must be approved prior to the Students report date, see waiver section below for more information on ETPs and Waivers.
Failure to apply for an ETP and refusing to continue training, to include refusing to recycle, will result in a negative Academic evaluation report (DA Form 1059).
USAR and ARNG units should use this process if they believe funding may be an issue. If proper funding to recycle is procured after ETP has been approved and you would like your Solder to recycle until completion coordinate with the Sapper Training Company at the first available opportunity for recension.
Academic Evaluation Report (DA Form 1059)
Students will receive a DA Form 1059 for the following reasons.
Graduation of the Sapper Leader Course:
- Honor Graduate
- Distinguished Leadership
- Commandants List
- Successfully completing
Referred Report (Negative DA From 1059)
- Refusal to Train
- Refusing to Recycle without an approved ETP
- Serious Observation Reports
- Excessive De-Merits
- Violation of regulation, policy or established discipline standards
- Negative attitude or lack of motivation
Students will not be given an DA Form 1059 for the following reasons:
- Failure to meet entrance requirements
- Dropped for Medical reasons
- Dropped for Administrative Reason (e.g. Emergency Leave, Deployment)
- Students that Complete the course in good standing without meeting graduation requirements outlined in the Program of Instruction
Graduation Will now Be Held in Lincoln Hall located on the first floor of the MSCoE building.