Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) is more complex than stateside Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). Housing authorizes OHA only when government quarters are not available, meaning you have to lease a private rental. Those living in government or off-post government-leased housing don’t receive OHA because the government pays all rent/utility expenses.


Only military members assigned to privately leased housing will receive OHA. There are 3 elements of OHA:

  1. Rent: Monthly ($ for $)
    You will not keep any allowance above your actual rent. If your rent is lower than your allowance, it's in your best interest to negotiate upgrades into your contract and pay more up to your max allowance.
    NOTE: Renting a property above your maximum allowance requires command approval.
  2. Utility and Maintenance: Monthly (lump sum)
    If you are responsible for all your utilities, you will receive the full amount every month.
  3. Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA): One-time
    There are 2 MIHAs you receive for private housing:

    NOTE: OHA fluctuates monthly based on exchange rate.

    • MIHA/Miscellaneous
    • MIHA/Rent



MIHA/Miscellaneous: Based on expenses a Service member typically incurs associated when
moving into privately leased or owned dwellings.

MIHA/Rent: Covers all reasonable rent-related expenses. These are fixed, one-time, non-fundable charges levied on behalf of the landlord or a foreign government that the Service Member must pay beforeor upon occupying a dwelling.


TLA and OHA cannot overlap. TLA ends as soon as housing is available, meaning when your housing lease (and OHA) begins. FYI, if you delay moving into available housing for personal reasons, you will have to pay out-of- pocket for any extra nights of lodging.