LEGAL ASSISTANCE UPDATE:
Note: OUR EMAIL BOX IS CURRENTLY DOWN. ALL LEGAL ASSISTANCE REQUESTS MUST BE MADE BY PHONE.
The Legal Assistance Office is open and currently operating under the following conditions: All attorney consultations are conducted telephonically. To request an appointment, please call (703) 805-2856 and leave your name and phone number for a return call from our paralegals for screening and scheduling.
Non-deploying estate plans will be drafted and reviewed with clients, and scheduled for an execution of the document.
Soldiers who are scheduled for deployment will be provided on-site services. Please be sure to indicate your deployment status when you call our office for assistance.
NEW REQUIREMENT FOR LEGAL ASSISTANCE APPOINTMENTS:
All persons scheduling appointments with the Fort Belvoir Legal Assistance Office must provide their DODID # and ID card expiration date. Please have this information on hand when contacting our office for an appointment. Unfortunately we are unable to make appointments without this information.
Effective Tuesday, 1 June 2021, the Legal Assistance Office will provide notary and power of attorney services subject to the following restrictions:
1. Service will be provided to active duty clients, retirees and their family members, between the hours of 0900 - 1100 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays ONLY, as long as they are duty days.
2. Clients must wear face masks at all times when conducting business with legal assistance.
3. Clients must bring their own pens.
4. Clients will park in our front parking lot and wait outside the front entrance. Please maintain social distancing as you wait in line. If no one has come to the door in 3 minutes, please knock.
5. Clients will be served in line-up order.
6. While waiting, clients must maintain minimum of 6 feet distance from other parties.
7. Only one client will be admitted at a time and only by direction of the legal assistance team.
8. No third parties (friends / children / guests) will be admitted into the building or waiting area (clients only).
9. Once admitted to the building, clients must follow the instructions of the legal assistance team.
10. No real estate closings will be notarized during this time
Tax Center Notice
The Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service announced on March 21, 2020, that the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020.
Taxpayers can also defer federal income tax payments due on April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed. This deferment applies to all taxpayers, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations and other non-corporate tax filers as well as those who pay self-employment tax.
Taxpayers to not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this automatic federal tax filing and payment relief. Individual taxpayers who need additional time to file beyond the July 15 deadline can request a filing extension by filing Form 4868 through their tax professional, tax software, or using the Free File link on IRS.gov.
The Legal Assistance Division has currently suspended all Tax Center functions. If this changes a notice will be published here.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Licensed Attorneys and paralegals are available to help you with your personal civil legal issues. All of our services are free.
Who We Serve:
Active Duty Service members, retirees, and their dependents, as well as Reservists and civilians preparing for deployments. We do not provide advice to Retirees on divorce or other family law cases. Restrictions on services can be placed dependent on status and current conditions, please contact office to determine what services we offer if you are not Active Duty or a family member of Active Duty.
9990 Belvoir Drive
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
Attorney consultations are from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. by appointment only.
Notary/Power of Attorney Services are from 9 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, (no appointments needed). Home Closing Documents do require an appointment to be made.
Closed Holidays and Weekends
Power of Attorney and Notary Services