Privately owned weapons and ammunition must be controlled. The Senior Commander (SC) has clear authority and responsibility to regulate privately owned weapons, explosives, and ammunition on Fort Knox. Personnel who remove privately owned weapons from Fort Knox will comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws pertaining to ownership, possession, and registration. Weapons Registration Office is responsible for ensuring weapons are registered IAW with applicable regulations.
- Obtain FK Form 2759 available from the Fort Knox webpage.
- Submit copy of FK Form 2759 and a copy of the applicant’s driver’s license to the Fort Knox Visitor Control Center, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. All permits will be available for pick up seven calendar days from the date of drop off at the Visitor Center between 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Documentation: A form documenting firearms registration will be provided to the owner (ALERTS Permit) and will be valid for three years. Individuals must have the registration document whenever the firearm is transported on the installation. Personnel engaging in authorized activities on the installation are required to present the registration permit to range/hunt control officials prior to obtaining authorization to conduct activities utilizing a firearm.
- De-registration: Firearms can be de-registered by submitting, in person, identification and the original registration permit to the Weapons Registration Office during operating hours Mon-Fri 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Firearms can also be de-registered by mailing a photo copy of the driver’s license and the original weapons permit of the owner to the Weapons Registration Office. Upon de-registration, all information pertaining to the registration of applicant’s weapon(s) will be removed from the Centralized Operations Police Suite (COPS) weapons registration module database.
Important: All firearms must be declared upon entry onto Fort Knox and Weapons Registration Permit verified when entering the ACP. If you are declaring a firearm at the point of entry, all personnel will pull directly to the guard booth for processing. All firearms must be unloaded and properly stored. Privately owned firearms carried in a vehicle will be secured in the trunk. For vehicles without a trunk, firearms will be encased in a container. Carrying concealed personal firearms on Fort Knox is strictly prohibited. State concealed weapons permits are not recognized or honored on the installation.
Directorate of Emergency Services
Attn: Weapons Registration Office
481 Gold Vault Rd.
Fort Knox, Kentucky 40121-5182
- Army Regulation 190-13, The Army Physical Security Program
- Army Regulation 190-11, Physical Security of AA&E
- Fort Knox Regulation 190-11, Physical Security of Privately Owned Weapons and Ammunition
- Fort Knox Form 2759, Privately Owned Weapons Registration Form