Preparation for Separation


Transition Assistance Program (TAP)

The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) is located in building 1378. Please call the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) to make arrangements to receive the mandatory pre-separation briefing. This briefing is required by law in order to receive your DD Form 2648: service member Pre-separation Counseling and Career Readiness Standards Eform for Service Members separating, retiring, released from active duty (REFRAD). Other programs available to all separating Soldiers are the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) workshop, transition counseling and federal / civilian resume training.


Separation Briefing

A pre-separation Briefing is given on the third Wednesday of every month at 1:30 p.m. in building 1384 (White Hall), Room B1. If that Wednesday is a holiday, the briefing will be given the following business day. This briefing is mandatory for all Regular Army enlisted Soldiers reaching their Expiration of Term in Service (ETS). If you have an approved DA Form 31: Request and Authority for Leave, please bring a copy to the briefing. Permissive TDY is not authorized for Soldiers voluntarily separating.


The Transition Center will publish orders 120 days out from the report date. The orders will be sent to the Soldiers official email address/S1.


The finance transition briefing is held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 10:30 a.m., in building 1384 (White Hall), Room B1.

Final Out-Processing

You will be out-processed on one of the following days:

  • The last work day prior to the start of your transitional leave.
  • The last work day prior to your separation/discharge date.

The following documentation will required when you out-process the Transition Center:


DD Form 214

  • The DD FM 214 is the most vital document you will receive from the Army. The benefits a Soldier may be eligible to receive as a result of military service will be based primarily on the DD Form 214.
  • An overview of the DD Form 214 will be given at the pre-separation briefing.
  • Prior to your final out-processing you will be asked to review your DD Form 214. It is the Soldiers responsibility to provide the necessary paperwork to the Transition Center in order to make these changes.
  • You will be given copy 1 and 4 of your DD Form 214 on your final day of out-processing. It will not become an official document until the day following your separation date.

If you reenlist or extend, provide the Transition Center a copy of the updated ERB or reenlistment contract so your separation orders can be revoked.


Health Insurance

The Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) provides comprehensive care coverage for you and your family after separation. For additional information call 1-800-444-5445 or visit the website at


ID Cards

Your ID card and Family member ID cards must be turned in on your separation date. If your separation date is your final out date, your ID cards will be turned into the TC. If you are taking Transitional Leave in conjunction with your separation, it is your responsibility to ensure that on the date of your separation that all ID cards are turned in to the nearest military installation or mailed to:

  • Department of the Army
    Military PER DIV (AMIM-KNH-MI-219)
    Bldg. 1384, Room 103
    25 W Chaffee Ave
    Fort Knox, Kentucky 40121-4215

Frequently Asked Questions

Can the Soldier obtain another copy of the DD Form 214 if his or her copy is lost?

The Soldier can obtain another copy by contacting 1-800-318-5298 or by logging on to the following


Can a Soldier obtain extra copies of his or her Health and Dental Records?

The hospital can give the Soldier certified copies of his or her Health and Dental Records upon separation at the Soldiers request. Prior notification to the Hospital is required if the Soldier needs to obtain extra copies of his or her Health and Dental Records after separation.


How does the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) or Army National Guard (ARNG) Soldier obtain copies of their records?

The ARNG Soldier can contact the Adjutant General of the State to get copies of their records. The USAR Soldier can contact their Unit to obtain a copy of their records.


I am on excess leave; when do I get my DD Form 214?

Your DD Form 214 will be issued upon completion of your Chapter Packet or completion of you Court-Martial appeal. The DD Form 214 and copies of discharge orders will be mailed via US Postal Service to the Address given on your leave form, or nearest relative. The Transition Center is not responsible for lost or damaged documents that are in the postal system.


How do I get a duplicate copy of my DD Form 214 if it is lost or damaged?

After initial issuance of DD Form 214, the Human Resources Command is the only authority that can reissue a DD Form 214. The Transition Center cannot reissue the DD Form 214, nor will information be given out over the telephone to third party inquiries.


What if I need assistance or information regarding any benefit entitlements after separation?

You access Veterans Affairs on line at or look in your telephone book under Federal Government.

If I filed for an appeal on a court-martial, how do I know when it is complete?

You need to contact your attorney to inquire about the status of your appeal. The average time is 1-2 years for completion.

Helpful Numbers

  • In/Out Processing: (502) 626-0183/0197/0206
  • Reserve Component Career Counselor: (502) 624-3347
  • Education Center: (502) 624-4114
  • Transition Assistance Program (TAP): (502) 624-2227
  • Post Transportation: (502) 624-3943/3927
  • Veterans Affairs: (502) 287-5459
  • Finance: (502) 624-8010
  • Physical Exam: (502) 626-9764
  • Lodging Reservations: (502) 943-1000