Bringing Your Pets?

Pets may be brought to Japan as excess baggage on AMC charter flights that land at Yokota AB or on commercial flights that land at Narita. Pets may also be shipped as commercial cargo to arrive to Narita. Shipment of pets must be at the owner's expense whether moving as excess baggage or commercial cargo. Excess baggage is usually the cheaper of the two. It is extremely important that required documentation is in order.

The following procedures apply: Pets may be cleared upon arrival at Narita provided you have all required documents Documentation of Rabies vaccination no less than 30 or no more than 360 days old Veterinarian health certificate issued within the previous 10 days.


Dogs and cats are required to have a rabies vaccination administered more than 30 days but less than 365 days prior to entry into Japan. The rabies certificate must indicate date given and expiration date. A health certificate issued within 10 days prior to arrival must accompany each pet. It is recommended that you acquire the rabies certificate (DD form 2208) & health certificate (DD for 2209) through a military veterinarian. Either a copy of your travel orders or USFJ form 380EJ for customs entry into Japan is required. Pets entering Japan, which meet all requirements must have a 14 day home quarantine. When scheduling your flight into Japan try to arrive Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm in order to avoid overtime expenses from the Japanese Animal Quarantine Service.


Japanese Animal Quarantine Service Regulations require that all animals entering Japan be examined to determine if they are free from communicable diseases. Animals found to be free from communicable diseases may be released to the owner's custody, subject to the restrictions listed below:

Three copies (the original plus two copies) of the rabies vaccination certificate must accompany the animal during transit. The rabies vaccination must have been administered more than 30 days, but less than 365 days, prior to the animal's entry into Japan. Bringing puppies, not old enough for the rabies shot is highly discouraged. The puppy will immediately be put into quarantine and when it reaches 90 days of age, the puppy will be given a rabies vaccination and will be kept at the quarantine facility for 30 more days. Three copies (the original, plus two copies) of the health certificate must also accompany the animal during transit. This is issued by the veterinarian which examines your pet. The health certificate must be dated within ten days preceding the animal's arrival into Japan. (To clarify - the certificate is only good for 10 days, so plan accordingly.) Placing the above certificates in a zip lock plastic bag and taping it securely on top of the pet's cage seems to work best.  If the rabies and or health certificate is obtained through a civilian veterinarian they must be endorsed by a field office, U.S. Federal (No State) Department of Agriculture. The USDA officer must stamp and sign each form issued by a civilian veterinarian. The signature without the stamp is invalid. Military Veterinarians are USDA qualified. Therefore additional stamps and signatures are not necessary. 

Japanese Animal Quarantine Officials begin work at 8:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. Any arrivals which vary from these working scheduled hours will be considered overtime, and the pet owner will be charged accordingly. No estimate can be made on this charge because it depends on the yen rate and how much time is involved. To avoid any problems, try to schedule your pet's arrival between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. Before the animal can be processed by Animal Quarantine Services personnel, the owner or his authorized representative (Power of Attorney required) must obtain USFJ Form 380EJ, "Customs Free Import or Export of Cargo or Customs Declaration of Personal Property". This form is available at the Customs check point at the point of entry or at Camp Zama. It is required that 3 originals of USFJ Form 380EJ be ready if needed. More than one animal may be listed on this form, one below the other.

Transportation from Airport

Government bus transportation from Narita Airport is on a space available basis. If you have a sponsor be certain to let him/her know you are bringing a pet, what kind of pet, how many pets, and cage dimensions when you will arrive, and where you will arrive. If kennel space is needed, have your sponsor make reservations for you as soon as possible to ensure space availability.

For Military AMC flights, to Yokota Air Base. All In-processing is done by  U.S. military (if entering from a AMC terminal) and all Japanese requirements are adhered to strictly.

Pet Transportation

Shipment of dogs weighing more than 150 pounds (this includes the kennel weight) is not authorized on AMC flights.  All travel arrangements are the responsibility of the pet owner. If the Japanese Quarantine Service so decides, the pet may be held over at the airport to be picked up the following day. (This does not happen often.) When picking up your pet, you must have a copy of your original travel orders to prove ownership. 

Tips to make the trip easier on your pet:

- Provide a sturdy crate with a leak-proof bottom. Often, the airline will have specific requirements, so you need to contact the carrier directly. The crate should be large enough so that your pet can stand up, lie down and turn around comfortably.

- Allow your pet to become used to being in the crate well in advance of traveling by encouraging it to sleep or even eat and drink while in the crate. This will allow your pet to feel relaxed during travel.

- Place a comfortable pad or the pet's bedding in the crate and add a favorite toy or two and/or a shirt you have worn or slept in so that the pet is comforted by your scent. On the outside of the crate, print your name, address and the pet's destination. Include your pet's name, so the attendants can talk to the animal.

- Place a tag with your name, address and the pet's destination on a collar around the pet's neck, because on rare occasions, pets can escape from crates and might require identification. Also, attach a copy of the health, rabies and import certificates. Exercise the pet lightly before departing.

- Feed a light meal no less than 6 hours before departing and remove water 2 hours before, except on hot days. Provide a water dish with the crate, so attendants can provide water during stopovers. If the trip lasts longer than 24 hours, provide some food (dry is best), attached to the outside of the crate in a cloth or mesh bag.

Please visit the Camp Zama Pet Kennels to find out about Kenneling, Importing Cats/Dogs, Helpful Documentation/Forms,

Helpful Forms: Completed USFJ Form 380 (Customs Import/ Export of Cargo or  Customs Declaration)

Helpful Websites: Camp Zama Pet Kennels, Camp Zama Veterinary Treatment Facility, International Animal Import/Export Regulations

Helpful Numbers: DSN: 263-5915, Cell: 046-407-5915 ( Zama Pet Kennels),DSN: 263-3875Cell: 046 407-3875 (Camp Zama Veterinary Facility)


Lodging With Your Pets Upon Arrival

Zama Army Lodging offers three pet friendly rooms. Pet friendly rooms are offered on a first come, first served basis.  PCS'ing guests will have priority over all other guests requesting these rooms.  Pets are limited to dogs and cats.  All other animals to include, but not limited to the following: birds, reptiles, fish, hamsters, ferrets, exotic animals, etc., are not allowed in lodging facilities. Please inform your selected sponsor so that arrangements can be made. Contact the Camp Zama Pet Kennels to make a reservation if your request cannot be filled.


Camp Zama Pet Kennels - Monday - Friday : 10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. /1:30 p.m. - 5 p.m., Sat-Sun: 10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. /1:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.


Reservations must be made in advance. For quarantine purposes spaces are available on a space available basis. Fees for services vary and are subject to change. All fees are the responsibility of the owner. Please visit the Camp Zama Pet Kennels for details.


Veterinarian Services On-Post: Mon.,Tues.,Wed., and Friday: 0900 -1630 Thursdays: 1300 -1630

Camp Zama Veterinary Treatment Facility is professionally staffed by Army Veterinary Corps personnel with the primary mission of providing complete veterinary care for all government owned animals.

Our staff understands how important your pet is to you and with that in mind, we also offer many types of routine care services for the pets of military families.

All pets living on post must be registered with the VTF upon arrival. On-Post Housing may limit the number and breed of pets that can live in on-post housing. Contact on-post housing for more information.

Due to our limited manpower and resources, most veterinary emergency cases are best served through a full service civilian veterinary hospital.

Buying Pets In Japan

If you should purchase a pet while in Japan, please contact the Camp Zama Veterinary Treatment Facility, for further guidance on quarantines, qualified pets, and required paperwork.