Training Courses Information


  • Basic Riders Course (BRC):

If you want to learn to ride, attend the Basic Riders Course on our training motorcycles and earn a BRC MSF card.  This card will enable you to get the Motorcycle Endorsement on your civilian driver license (in most States).  If you end up buying a motorcycle, DoD requires you to attend an advanced class within a year of BRC.

  • Advanced Courses:

After BRC, the motorcycle owner shall attend the advanced class (BRC2, ERC, ARC, MSRC) within 12 months.  If you don't buy a bike and attend the advanced class within 12 months, then re-take the BRC course. Skills are perishable.  In Virginia, the DMV will add the “M” to your license only if you go to the DMV within 359 days.   

  • Reoccurring Training:

Every 5 years, the motorcycle owner shall attend an advanced class. Owners are encouraged to attend more frequently.    


The Fort Belvoir Motorcycle Safety Foundation Range is located at Bldg 259 - Behind 5915 16th Street, Fort Belvoir VA 22060. 

Look for a 1 story white brick building with a long handicap ramp out front.  If you are arriving for an advanced class, ride onto the range and park on the back porch. Doors open 15 min prior to class.​​​​​​​


9820 Flagler Road Garrison Headquarters Building 269, Room 001
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060

Phone: (703) 806-3447

Closing Tab


Motorcycle Training FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about the Army Traffic Safety Training Program and licensing of MC riders at Fort Belvoir Virginia

Abbreviations Key:

  • MC = motorcycle
  • BRC = Basic Rider Course
  • ARC = Advanced Rider Course (replaces ERC and MSRC) (Belvoir offers ARC, no ERC or MSRC)
  • ERC = Experienced Rider Course, AKA: BRC2
  • MSRC = Military Sportbike Riders Course
  • DL = driver’s license
  • ADSM = Active Duty Service Member

Q:  What PPE must all riders wear on the military installation? What MUST Soldiers wear off-post? 
A:  Helmet; Eye Protection; Foot Protection; Long Pants; Long Sleeves; Long Fingered Gloves. Click here to read AR 385-10 (para 11-9c) for more information.
Q:  What are the rules for ADSM who want to ride a motorcycle?
A: DODI 6055.04; Army Regulation 385-10.  ADSM must attend BRC before operating a MC. ADSM who continue to ride must then attend ARC/ERC/MSRC within a year. ADSM who ride a sport bike must also attend ARC or MSRC.

Q: What about annual or recurring MC training?
A: After completing ARC/ERC/MSRC, ADSM shall re attend a class every 5 years. FIVE years. May attend more frequently.
Q: I am in the Guard or Reserve; can I attend your MC training?
A: Yes.  This training is duty time, so coordinate that issue with your supervisor.  On training day, be sure to bring your valid military ID and the form you use to get paid.
Q: Do you train Airmen, Sailors, Marines, Coasties, Space Forces?
A: Yes, we make this training available to all who are associated with Fort Belvoir.  We understand that many Fort Belvoir housing residents come from all Services and probably work at a different military base.
Q: Do you train foreign armed forces?
A: If the DoD requires you to attend MC training so you can ride your POV MC, you may attend our free courses.
Q: Do you train dependents or retirees?
A: No. Several commercial companies offer MC training downtown.  Also try 
Q: I am a dependent / retiree / civil service / contractor. Do I need a MSF card? Do I need a retroreflective vest?
A: No. No.
Q: Returning from TDY, can I ride my MC immediately?
A: Soldiers returning from a 179+ day TDY must obtain refresher training from supervisor. Training materials are on the US Army Safety Center webpage 

Q: Where is the MC training site on Fort Belvoir?
A: Behind the TMP Motorpool on 16th Street. Take Gunston Road or Belvoir Road south, turn at 16th Street. Turn again at the water tower and drive alongside the TMP fence. The Motorcycle Training Center is a 1 story white brick building with a long handicap ramp out front, and a big back porch. The MTC was formerly a swimming pool house. Building is located on Middleton Road between 16th Street and 18th Street. Google Map it and zoom in: Behind 5915 16th Street, Fort Belvoir VA 22060.
Q: What time does MC training begin?
A: 0645.  At 0645 am we give away your seat and lock the door. Do not be late.   We start early so we can end early and avoid the worst of the traffic. 
Q: What if I missed the class?  
A: No-show students hurt Soldiers and fellow ADSM from other services. All of our classes are booked solid - if you call the Safety Office today and ask for training, you can expect a training date in about a month. The Safety Office will keep adding class dates until we meet the demand. When a service member does not show up for training, this person has wasted a slot that the Army has pre-paid for. It matters not if the person had a good excuse - the slot is gone and other service members are still waiting a month for training. IF YOU DO NOT SHOW UP FOR CLASS, YOUR “NO SHOW” IS PERMANENTLY RECORDED IN THE AIRS DATABASE. IMCOM is exploring methods to obtain reimbursement for wasted training slots.
Q: Do you train 3 wheelers?
A: No. Exception: We will accept students on a Piaggo scooter
Q: Is a MSF card required for ADSM to ride a 3 wheeler?
A: DoD/Army does not require MSF training to ride a 3 wheeler.  Army does not offer 3-wheeled motorcycle training.   Virginia-licensed operators can earn any of four MC endorsements to be added to their VA DL.
Q: I am active duty and my supervisor wants me to be on leave to take the MC training.
A: Leave cannot be charged (ref:  DODI 6055.04)
Q: My current State DL does not have a MC endorsement on it, but I have an old license with MC on it. Can I attend ARC and skip BRC?
A: No. You must be licensed by a State to ride a MC. You must have a valid DL with MC endorsement on it to attend ARC/ERC/BRC2/MSRC
Q: I have a driver license from (insert State here). May I attend your BRC?
A: Yes, and you will be compliant with DoD standards.
However, South Carolina, New Jersey, and Alaska have protectionist policies in place. These States enjoy receiving federal dollars, but these States will not honor your military-funded MSF training conducted in Virginia. To get a MC endorsement you will still need to go to that State and attend BRC there (and pay the $$$ fee to that State or school). These States do not acknowledge or recognize MSF cards from Department of Defense military installations located in Virginia (the MSF training is all the same). Some States require you to present your MSF card in person (Alaska). If I am an Alaska resident stationed in Florida, why do I need to travel back to AK just to add MC to my license? You should speak to your elected representatives about these topics.   
Q: I ride a scooter. More than 49 cc. Might have an automatic transmission. Can I use my scooter to attend BRC? (Example:  I have injuries and cannot shift a MC with my foot)
A: Yes, but your BRC card will be stamped (branded) “SCOOTER ONLY”. When you attend ERC in a year, you must bring your scooter with you. You are limited to riding scooters only.   If you wish to ride a shifter motorcycle, you must reattend BRC and use a shifter bike.  Most students attend BRC and use our loaner shifter bikes and earn a BRC card. You can still operate your scooter on a “regular” MSF card.
Q: Can I take BRC and use my motorcycle for the class?
A: No. Our course is a Virginia-approved motorcycle-licensing course, and as part of that, all students shall be on training bikes.  Our loaners are owned by the contractor (not government property). The course is set up for our small 250cc MC, not your cruiser. You may attend on your Scooter or electric motorcycle. 
Q; Can I take BRC on a moped (49 cc)?
A: No, and you do not need a MSF card to ride a moped on or off post. (Code of Virginia)
Q: Do I need a retroreflective safety vest or belt to ride a motorcycle on post?
A: No.
Q: What do I bring to BRC class?
A: Military ID, boots, civilian long pants and sleeves. Long finger gloves if you have them. Sunscreen, snacks for the instructor, rain gear if needed. We train BRC and ARC in the rain.
Q: I need a replacement MSF card, because I lost it/washed it about 5 years ago and I need it to attend ERC.
A: For Army purposes, your BRC card is only good for a year.  Your Advanced MSF card is only good for 5 years. If you are due for training, attend training and get a new card.    We maintain Army-wide records of MSF training attendance, so we can probably look you up in “AIRS”.   You might not need your BRC card to attend ARC - we can look up your training date in AIRS.
Q: I earned a MSF card 366 days ago, and the DMV will not accept it, will not give me a MC endorsement. Now what?
A: Go back to class.  To get a MC endorsement on your Virginia DL, you must present your BRC training card to the DMV within a year. 
Q: How do I earn a motorcycle endorsement on my Virginia driver license?
A: Attend our BRC class and take the card to the DMV within 364 days.
Q: How do I access the sign-up page?
A: Click here to sign up. To use the AIRS site, you need a .mil domain and an Army CAC card. If you have issues, call Fort Belvoir Safety at (703) 806-3447.  
Q: I am a unit Motorcycle Mentor for my organization. What support do you provide?
A: The Motorcycle Training Center is available for your use to launch group rides, conduct vehicle inspections, and safety meetings. We can also help you set up your MMP program.  In the spring, the Safety Office conducts Fort Belvoir Safety Day, which includes motorcycle safety demonstrations and new equipment displays. The Army Safety Center has a lot of good information on how to set up a MMP for your unit.
Q: How does the Motorcycle Mentorship Program work?
A: Each Soldier who rides a motorcycle can benefit from the MMP. Operating a motorcycle is a unique skill with sub-specialties that require frequent refresher training and upgrade training. Every Soldier that intends to rent, purchase, or ride a motorcycle shall attend Basic Rider Course, then Advanced Rider Course (or the ERC/MSRC) within a year (if you own a bike and are still riding).  Non-riders are welcome to attend BRC for familiarization training.
Each military unit shall have a Motorcycle Mentor (MM) (or have access to another Unit’s MM), and the MM shall register with the Fort Belvoir Installation Safety Office (703) 806-3447. The unit must maintain a roster of riders and their training accomplishments. Unit MM will organize vehicle inspections, safety briefings, and group mentoring rides. Group rides and peer training sessions are cornerstones of the Army motorcycle safety program. More information is available from the US Army Safety Center MMP page.
Q: I am a RiderCoach ADSM. I need to maintain training proficiency and co-teach two classes each year. Can I co-coach a MSF class at Fort Belvoir?
A: No. This is not included in the current IMCOM contract. Andrews AFB Wing Safety conducts BRC2/ERC using Airmen as instructors - call Andrews about co-coaching a BRC2. 
Q: I am a RiderCoach. Can I borrow your Range and teach MSF classes?
A: No. We use the range about 19 days per month for ATSTP motorcycle training.
Q: How many students do you train per year?
A: About 300, using a class size of 6 for BRC. If warranted, we have the ability to ramp up training to 12 student BRC classes and increase output by 50-75%.

Closing Tab

Virginia Motorcycle Endorsement Rules


  1. “M” = May operate a 2 or 3 wheeled motorcycle
  2. “M2” = May operate a 2 wheeled motorcycle. Cannot operate a 3 wheeled motorcycle.
  3. “M3” = May operate a 3 wheeled motorcycle. Cannot operate a 2-wheel motorcycle.
  4. If you have a “6” on your license under “Restriction”, you are not authorized to drive a car. End of discussion.


Q: What is a Polaris Slingshot?

A: A Slingshot is a 3 wheeled vehicle that you sit IN. Not on. Has a steering wheel, clutch, brake pedal, fly-by-wire gas pedal, automotive seat and 3 point seatbelt, car turn signals and horn. Occupant legs and torso are enclosed by the bodywork of the vehicle. The Slingshot is powered by a standard-issue 4 cyl Chevrolet Ecotec aluminum engine and car transmission. You do not use your body weight to steer; do not have individual controls for front and rear brakes. Virginia (and many States) are defining this vehicle as an “autocycle”. Virginia does not require a motorcycle endorsement, just a car driver license. Virginia issues motorcycle plates for the Slingshot. Slingshots with a windshield and roof do not need a helmet on the occupants, according to Code of Virginia 46.2-910.


Q: What is a Tanom Motors Reverse Trike?

A: A 3 wheeled vehicle you sit IN, not on. An autocycle in Virginia. Some Tanom vehicles have a windshield and roof, and Virginia does not require a helmet in this configuration.


Q: What is a Can-Am Spyder?

A: A 3 wheeled vehicle you sit ON. Virginia owners need a 3 wheeled endorsement on their driver license (“M” or “M3”). Helmet required.


Q: Do you train Coast Guardsmen?

A: The USGC will reimburse you if you take the course at your local commercial training establishment. Click here for more information.


Q:  What other training sites are in the National Capital Region?
A:  The Navy has their own motorcycle training courses. Click here for more information. In order to access this website, you must have a DoD CAC ID.  Search for course 79 or “Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC)”.  Training locations include Anacostia, Quantico, and Dahlgren in King George.  The Navy also trains dependents.

Closing Tab

Motorcycle Training for DoD Civilian Employees

DISCLAIMER:  Basic Rider Course completion will earn you a valid Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course card.  This school does not issue a school certificate, and it is unlikely that the Virginia DMV/Motor Vehicle Department will issue you a “M2” on your Virginia driver license.  It is highly unlikely that any other State will honor the BRC card for the purpose of adding a M to the driver license.  Most states have specific guidance for honoring an active-duty Service Member’s request to add a M to the license.  We are not aware of any State that offers the same to a DoD Civilian. 

DoD Civilian Employee should consider attendance at Ft Belvoir BRC as a “try it before you buy it” training opportunity.  If you like it, go off-base and pay for the BRC at a commercial school that issues a valid School Certificate. DoD Civilian Employees are welcome to sign up on a standby basis for BRC and ARC.  DoD Civilian EmployeesPCSing to an OCONUS location where a motorcycle or moped is a primary mode of transportation will be given priority over other Civilian employees waiting. 

Do's and Don'ts of Motorcycle Training/Riding Rules for DoD Civilians:Do's

  • DoD Civilian Employees do need a motorcycle endorsement to ride on post.
  • DoD Civilian Employees riding a motorcycle do need to comply with the clothing and protective equipment requirements mentioned above when riding on post. 
  • DoD Civilian Employees do need to be on annual leave or a non-duty status to attend BRC or ARC. If training is on a weekday, the DoD Civ employee is required to bring a signed Leave slip, or a signed note from their supervisor stating they are not on duty. The US Gov employer is not paying worker compensation if a student gets hurt on the training site. The US Gov and the instructor do not carry medical insurance for your injuries, and student shall sign a waiver. DoD Civilian Employee may attempt a “walk-on standby” by showing up at 0630.  If a leave slip is not presented, the employee shall have their Director contact the Fort Belvoir Safety Office Point of Contact by 0900 and attest that the employee is on Leave or in a non-duty status.
  • DoD Civilian Employee do have to present a CAC with “CIV” in the corner, and a valid driver license.  
  • DoD Civilian Employees do have to have at least three months riding experience before attending ARC. 
  • DoD Civilian Employee do have to use the provided training motorcycle for BRC, unless riding a scooter motorcycle or an electric motorcycle.
  • DoD Civilian Employee do have to bring their own motorcycle/scooter/electric motorcycle to ARC.  If the student attended BRC on a scooter, then the BRC card is stamped “SCOOTER” and the student shall attend ARC on their scooter. 
  • DoD Civ Employees who ride a government owned motorcycle in the course of their duties do have to be registered/confirmed for the course with the same priority as a Service Member.
  • An ADSM/Guard/Reserve/Cadet students who are also DoD Civilian employees do have to sign up as “military”.
  • A Retired Military members who are DoD Civilian Employees do have to sign up as a “DoD Civilian”.



  • DoD Civilian Employees do not need a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course card to ride on post.
  • DoD Civilian Employees do not need an Advanced Rider Course card to ride on post.
  • DoD Civilian Employee is not obligated to show up for training.  An offer for training may be made weeks (or hours) in advance.
  • Although the US Army IMCOM Traffic Safety Training Program website has a dropdown selection for “Retired Military” “Dependent” “DoD Contractor”, the current Army Safety Center contract with the USACE and Cape Fox does not allow Fort Belvoir to train retired military, dependents and/or DoD contractors.  
Closing Tab