541st Engineer Company
Capt. Tyler S. Skomp
1st. Sgt. Gary D. Morrissey
The 541st Sapper Company performs a variety of military engineering operations; such as bridge-building, laying or clearing minefields, demolitions, field defences and general construction, as well as road and airfield construction and repair. They are also trained to serve as infantry personnel in defensive and offensive operations.
The 541st Engineer Company was constituted on 18 May 1917 as Company E, 25th Engineers and organized on 13 September 1917 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts. On 20 May 1919, the Company was demobilized only to be reconstituted on 18 October 1927. In January 1942, the Company was redesignated as Company E, 25th Armored Engineer Battalion, an element of the 6th Armored Division. 541st was formally activated on 15 February 1942 at Fort Knox, Kentucky. The Company was once again inactivated on 9 December 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts.
Over the next 10 years, the company went through multiple redesignations to include the 541st Treadway Bridge Company and 541st Panel Bridge Company. On 23 November 1954, the Company was formally designated as the 541st Engineer Company. The 541st was activated in Germany on 17 January 1955 and then inactivated on 16 January 1986, only to be reactivated on 16 August 2007. The Company completed a successful combat tour to RC-East in November 2011, as well as one tour to Afghanistan in 2009 and one tour in Iraq in 2007. The 541st deployed to RC-Southwest in 2013, in which they were rewarded the Meritorious Unit Citation.
On 24 April 2014, the 541st cased its colors and reactivated on 16 July 2014 in Fort Knox, Kentucky. Over the course of three months, the Company conducted training, resourced supplies, and filled its personnel shortages. 541st Engineer Company stands ready to deploy, on order, in support of the Army's Global Response Force mission.