Programs and Services

ACES Needs Assessment

The Army Continuing Education System (ACES) Needs Assessment is a continuous and systematic analysis of the Army’s requirements for educational programs at the installation level and Army wide. Such programs and services assist Soldiers in achieving the lifelong synthesis of knowledge, skills and experiences required for success. Assessment results provide data integral to the Army’s planning and budgeting process.  The interest survey is part of the overall Needs Assessment and allows the community to provide input on their desired programs and services.  Click the link below to download the survey.  Return the survey to

Local Internship Opportunities with Garrison

Garrison agencies work closely with college and university officials to create challenging on the job learning experiences for students enrolled at on-post partner schools and others in the outlying community.  Students can apply for an internship in the following areas of study: Environmental Management, Engineering, and Science with the Department of Public Works (DPW); Early Childhood Education with the Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (FMWR); Analysis and Statistics with the Plans, Analysis, and Integration Office (PAIO); Journalism with the Public Affairs Office (PAO); Administrative Support with the Army Substance Abuse Program (ASAP); Counseling and Information Technology with Army Continuing Education System (ACES); Equal Employment Opportunity with Equal Employment Opportunity Office (EEOO); and Occupational Safety and Health with the Safety Office (SO). Make an appointment with a Guidance Counselor to learn more.

Transition Assistance Program Higher Education Track

In keeping with the VOW Act, the Fort Knox Education Center provides a two day Higher Education Workshop every month.  This workshop is for Soldiers scheduled to transition within the next 12 months and plan to attend College or a Trade School.  This training encompasses GI Bill, Financial Aid, college application processes, and much more.  Contact TAP at (502) 624-2227 to schedule a seat in the next session.

Army Correspondence Course Program

The Army Correspondence Course Program (ACCP) provides instruction to military personnel and eligible civilian employees.  Correspondence courses are offered in a wide range of MOSs.  These courses enable the Soldier to improve MOS proficiency and cross-train in another MOS.  The courses are self-paced and provide one promotion point for every 5 credit hours completed.  Soldiers may sign up for these courses at the Army Learning Center or enroll electronically at the Army Training Requirements and Resources System website.

Basic Skills Education Program

The Basic Skills Education Program (BSEP) is designed for students wanting to build their verbal and math skills.  BSEP is useful to help raise the General Technical (GT) score for military career advancement or simply as a college preparation tool.  The curriculum is available online or in the classroom. Participation in the classroom program requires a Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) exam.  You can schedule the exam by calling the APT testing office at (502) 624-5344.  The Soldier also needs command approval to attend the class.  The online curriculum does not require approval or testing, and you can register for a free account at  The two types of online curriculum are listed below:

  • Online Academic Skills Course (OASC): The course will diagnose your current level of reading comprehension, vocabulary, and math abilities, and it will teach the concepts and skills needed to increase proficiency in these areas.  Students complete a pre-assessment that measures current knowledge.  The program creates an individualized learning path or curriculum for you specifically in areas of weakness while reaffirming areas of strength.
  • College Placement Skills Training (CPST):  The course is designed as a companion course to OASC for those preparing for college.  OASC is primarily a refresher or review of high school level verbal, and math skills, and the CPST takes it up a notch to the college level.

Joint Services Transcript

The American Council on Education (ACE) has evaluated most military service schools and military occupational specialties and recommended college or vocational credit where appropriate.  ACES has evaluated over 10,000 military courses and military occupational specialties.  The ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services contains these recommendations.  For more information, visit their website at

Joint Services Transcript (JST) is the computerized transcript system that produces official transcripts for eligible service members by combining military education and job experience with a description and college credit recommendations developed by ACE.  To access your JST, visit  You may use an Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences during Military Service in place of the JST if a JST is unavailable. The Post Learning Center operator at (502) 624-5537 can assist in preparing a DD Form 295.

In order to be awarded actual college credit for military experiences (and thereby receive promotion points), the Soldier must generally enroll with a college, submit a JST transcript, and have that school award credit according to its criteria.  Actual credit awarded may be less than ACE recommends due to individual school policies.

Local Community Programs

The GED preparation program is offered at several locations in this area.  This program prepares adults to take the GED tests and may also be used to improve their education level in preparation for job training programs or promotion.  GED preparation programs are offered at the Fort Knox Education Center, for more info call (502) 624-2427.  The Hardin County Adult Education Program Learning Centers also offer the programs in Elizabethtown, Radcliff and Brandenburg.  For more info call (270) 769-8866 for Elizabethtown and Radcliff or call 270-422-7525 for Brandenburg.  These programs are free and available to military, adult Family members, and civilians.

English as a Second Language (ESL) classes are offered to improve adult language skills.   These programs are free and are available to military, adult Family members, and civilians.  For more info call contacts listed above.

Distance Learning

Distance learning programs are available from numerous accredited institutions of higher learning.  These programs allow Soldiers to take individual college courses, full degree programs, or courses leading to certification.  Degree programs through distance learning require little or no resident study and allow the Soldier to complete the degree from anywhere in the world.  Students need to be self-motivated and have good time-management skills to be successful with distance learning. 

Army Learning Center

The Education Center maintains a learning center for individual or group learning in the areas of leader development, MOS proficiency, test preparation, and personal enrichment.  The Army Learning Center provides Army publications and MOS-related video tapes.  ASVAB, ACT, CLEP, SAT, and GRE study guides are available for check out.  Classrooms are also available upon request.  These services are available to all post personnel.


The Army Personnel Testing (APT) Office offers a wide variety of tests to Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard Soldiers.  Exams include the AFCT, SIFT, TABE, DLAB, DLPT, and OPI.  Contact the APT Office at 502-624-5344 to schedule an exam.

The University of Louisville's Fort Knox Campus operates a National Testing Center associated with The Fort Knox Army Education Center and can administer both College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST).  The NTC also is a Pearson Vue testing location and can provide certification exams.  Contact the U of L Fort Knox Office at (502) 942-6444 to schedule an exam at the NTC.

For more information, contact an Army Guidance Counselor at (502) 624-2427.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is available to qualifying Soldiers for courses and programs listed in ArmyIgnitED.  Soldiers have 16 semester hours of TA funding each fiscal year, and the Army will pay $250 per semester hour.  Soldiers must request TA in ArmyIngnitED for each course prior to the start date.  An approved degree plan is required after the completion of six semester hours.  For further information, talk to a counselor at the Education Center or call 502-624-2427.

ArmyIgnitED is the portal used to request TA.  Create an account at ArmyIgnitED, complete an interest inventory, research schools and programs available, and meet with an Army Education Counselor to get started.  We are here to help you with any education questions you may have.

Educational institutions in ArmyIgnitED and approved for TA are accredited.  Accreditation does not guarantee that credits will automatically transfer from one school to another. The decision to accept academic credit is at the discretion of each institution.  We advise Soldiers to undertake all courses of study with consideration for their later intended use.  Individual college courses offer an opportunity to work on a college degree despite irregular schedules that make class attendance impossible.

Credentialing Assistance

Credentialing Assistance (CA) is available to qualifying Soldiers for courses, fees, book, supplies, and exams leading to a credential.  Soldiers will have the ability to complete multiple credentials using CA funds with a maximum limit of $4000 a FY.  Approved credentials are located on the Army COOL website ArmyIgnitED is the portal used to request CA.  Create an account, setup your credential pathway, and submit your credentialing requests.