ITALIAN PET REGULATIONS
- Italy has no breed restrictions.
- Shelter for pets is required.
- Pets may not be tied up and left unattended.
- It's recommended cats are kept indoors at all times due to disease, weather extremes, and malicious acts.
- Pets must be leashed during walks.
- Pets must always have access to food & water.
- Dogs, cats, and ferrets are required to be microchipped.
- Dogs & cats must be vaccinated for rabies annually. Rabies tags should always be kept on pets. Three-year rabies vaccinations are also approved if it's a valid vaccination. A pet can only be identified by its microship number if it's been registers with the ULSS office. If your pet has an EU pet passport, then your pet's microchip is registered.
- Due to climate conditions, pets must be on heartworm preventative medicine as well as flea and tick control medicine at all times.
PET REGISTRATION & PET PASSPORT
In Italy, registration of all pets is required within 10 days of arrival.
PLEASE NOTE: It is important to call desired veterinarian in advanced to book an appoitment
- Schedule your pet for a leptospirosis vaccination, highly recommended for all pets upon arrival (due to higher presence of leptospirosis bacteria in Italy).
- Add the officiall Facebook page Darby Pet Lovers to connect with others in the community with pets. **There are several unoffical Facebook Pages maintained by USAG Italy community pet owners. USAG Italy is not responsible for information on unofficial social media sites.
- Check out this helpful powerpoint presentation for more information: