The Fort Riley museums serve to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret those materials that are integral parts of the history and traditions of the U.S. Cavalry from 1775 to 1950. In addition, the Museum Division is responsible for exhibiting and interpreting the history of Fort Riley from its establishment to the present, to include its various schools, major commands, and community life. To support post education, training, research, and historical programs, the museum will provide educational programs and services.

U.S. Cavalry and First Infantry Division Museums

U.S. Cavalry Museum Now Open

The U.S. Cavalry and First Infantry Division Museums began renovation in the spring of 2018. The renovation project includes updating lighting and technology and redesigning the display spaces. A third building in the complex will also be renovated to provide classroom space. The project is funded by the U.S. Army Center of Military History and has been designed to preserve and highlight the historic structure of the museum buildings.

The U.S. Cavalry Museum and 1ID Museum are now open and available to visitors during normal operating hours. Museums are closed on New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Outside exhibits are available in the area of the U.S. Cavalry Museum
205 Henry Avenue and Custer House


Historical Services

  • Coordinates vehicle and weapon identification classes.
  • Provides historical research support.
  • Provides guidance and support in accounting for unit historical property.
  • Operate the Museum Division Library for on-site research.

Museum Services

  • Operation of the U. S. Cavalry Museum, 1st Infantry Division Museum and Custer House.
  • Design, construct and install unit historical exhibits (unit required to reimburse for materials).
  • Programs upon request regarding Army history and heritage to include professional development classes and oral history interviews.
  • Support Unit Events (i.e. Dining-ins; loan of display panels, easels).
  • Provide color guard uniforms for ceremonial events.

Custer House


Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House is one of two surviving sets of quarters from Fort Riley's establishment. It depicts military life on the Western frontier and features displays that show the living conditions of a typical military family.

Custer House Rentals and Tours

The Custer House is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Open to groups by appointment only Labor Day to Memorial Day.

If you are interested in renting the Custer House Side B for your next event or function please call 785-239-2737 for more information.

  •  Historical and Archaeological Society of Fort Riley members $25
  •  Non-members $35
  •  Plus a Refundable Deposit of $50.

The Custer House is open for tours. Call 785-239-2737 to set up tour dates and times. 

  • Monday - Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Sunday: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.