U.S., SETAF, AND INT’L LICENSES
Before traveling, know which driving permits you’ll need to ensure you’re always covered while driving overseas. To drive in Italy, all DoD members and dependents are required to have a SETAF license along with a valid U.S. Driver’s License. You must carry your U.S. license with your SETAF license. Only SETAF license holders are authorized to drive a SETAF registered vehicle.
U.S. LICENSE & MOTORCYCLE ENDORSEMENT
To be able to apply for a SETAF license in Italy, you must first have a valid U.S. driver’s license, or country's license. To make life easier, renew your driver’s license before you PCS if its expiration date falls within your timeline overseas.
To be granted permission to operate a motorcycle in Europe, Soldiers must have current MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) training and PPE per AR 385-10, have a EC (European Commission) approved helmet and motorcycle endorsement on their US license. Civilians and dependents are not required to have MSF training but must have EC approved helmet. You will not be able get a U.S. motorcycle endorsement once overseas.
Outside of Italy, many countries will not recognize a U.S. or SETAF license. To drive through neighboring countries, you will need to purchase either:
- International Driving Permit ($20, renewed yearly): At least 4 weeks before traveling, apply by mail or in person at AAA or AATA (the 2 agencies authorized by the State Department to issue IDPs).
- Italian Driver’s License (~270€, valid for 10 years for drivers less than 50 years old, 5 years for all others). Apply once you arrive in Italy.
SETAF DRIVER’S LICENSE
To drive in Italy, all Soldiers and Command Sponsored dependents are required to have a SETAF license. A SETAF license is not valid without a valid U.S. license, or country's license. You must carry your U.S. license or country's license with your SETAF license. Only SETAF license holders are authorized to drive a SETAF registered vehicle.
SETAF licenses are only valid in NATO countries. However, not all NATO countries recognize SETAF licenses. So if you plan on traveling outside of Italy, getting an IDP or Italian driver’s license is a good idea.
To register for a SETAF License, visit the Drivers Testing Office and bring the following documentation:
- AESE Form 190-2a signed by Unit Commander (GS-07/E-7)
- Copy of valid Stateside License
- Copy of orders for Military and Civilians/Letter of employment for local hire civilians
- ID Card