CELL PHONE PLANS
Cell phone plans are very affordable In Italy compared to U.S. cell phone plans. For example, a monthly smartphone plan including 50 GB of data, unlimited minutes, and unlimited texts could cost only 7.99€ ($7) - sometimes even less!
USE YOUR PHONE FROM HOME
Italy uses GMA technology, like AT&T or T-Mobile phones stateside. Other U.S. carriers, like Verizon, largely use CDMA technology but offer GMA phones to international travelers. If your phone operates on GMA technology you can probably replace the SIM card and use it in Italy.
NOTE: Call your carrier to make sure your GMA enabled phone is “unlocked” before traveling overseas.
MAJOR ITALIAN CELL PHONE PROVIDERS:
- Tim, Wind, Tre, Iliad, Vodafone
CELL PHONE PLANS
- Pay-as-you-go (“Ricaricabile”) plans are best
- Plans are renewed every 4 weeks (not monthly)
- Most people don’t use voicemail due to extra costs
- Set up an online account to view/change your plan
- Carriers offer U.S. calling plans
- No roaming fees in Euro zone as of 6/15/17
- Pay more into your account & avoid SIM card fees
- When you buy a plan, deactivate voicemail and SMS missed call notifications to avoid charges.
WIRELESS STORE ON POST
Caserma Ederle (PX) and Camp Darby (PX) have a cell phone and internet store with bilingual Italian employees that can help you choose a cell phone carrier and internet provider.
You might find a wider range of options at local providers off post. Grab a pamphlet and head to the cell phone store on post or ask an interpreter for help.
To sign up for a plan on post, bring a photo ID (valid driver’s license or passport). If using driver’s license, a copy must be made of the front and back of document cash (Euro/USD) or credit card for payment. (AMEX & DISCOVER cards are not accepted). Place of birth (city, state, and country) must be provided.
KEEP IN TOUCH WITH FAMILY BACK HOME
There are a number of free or cheap ways to stay in touch with family and friends in another country. Here are a few:
- iPhone iMessage/Facetime (free texts & video calls)
- WhatsApp (free texts & calls)
- Facebook Messenger (free texts and calls)
- Skype (free chats & video calls)
- Magic Jack App (free/$ voice calls & U.S. number)
- Vonage (costs $, U.S. number & voice calls)
NOTE: For apps to work, add “+” before country code.