Pets are a Privilege

Bringing pets to Italy is a privilege, not an entitlement. As such, the Contract Travel Office (CTO) does not book pet flights, but they can book your Soldier and family on a pet-friendly flight with the CTO contracted airline or another airline as long as it’s a U.S. Flag Carrier. All costs associated with pet travel are at your expense.
NOTE: Soldiers (≤E6) traveling without dependents will stay in barracks. Pets are not allowed in barracks.

Pet Travel Documentation

Traveling from other EU country

  • Pet Passport & Health Certificate and valid rabies vaccination.

Flying from United States

  • 15-code microchip: Required for dogs and cats and ferrets.
  • Rabies Vaccination: Must be administered more than 20 full days (but less than 12 months) before flying OR have a verified three-year rabies vaccination.
  • DD Form 2209: Dual language health certificate from a military veterinarian or USDA certified veterinarian. Forms must be dated within 10 days of arrival in Italy and in blue ink.

TIP: A Leptospirosis vaccination is required for pets upon arrival in Italy. You can vaccinate your pet prior to arrival and then submit vaccination paperwork once in Italy.  Lepto is NOT required in Italy, but it is highly encouraged.

Pet Travel & Restrictions

  1. Breeds and other pets: There are no breed restrictions in Italy.  On post and Villaggio housing, USAG Italy conforms with the Army's policy for domestic animals on its installations.  U.S. Service Members (SMs), residents, employees, contractors, or visitors may not bring on any U.S. Army operated installation, any dog of a breed (including a mixed breed) that is deemed aggressive/dangerous or potentially aggressive/dangerous.  For purposes of this policy, aggressive/dangerous or potentially aggressive/dangerous breeds of dogs are defined as Pit Bulls (American Staffordshire Bull Terriers or English Staffordshire Bull Terriers), Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, Chows, and wolf hybrids.  This prohibition also extends to other dogs that demonstrate a propensity for dominant or aggressive/dangerous behavior.  It is unauthorized to bring any exotic, wild, or farm species onto USAG Italy for other than official purposes.  Examples of exotic, wild and farm species include but are not limited to the following: exotic animals, fish and reptiles such as alligators, electric eels, monkeys, piranhas, pufferfish, sharks, and snakes; wild animals and birds such as ferrets, foxes, hedgehogs, raccoons, rats, skunks, squirrels, owls, ostriches, and falcons; and farm animals and fowl such as pot-bellied pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, and geese.

  2. Kennel (checked or cargo): Pets need airline-approved, hard cages with screw-bolt closures, breathing holes on all sides, and room to stand up, turn around and lie down.
    • Visit IATA for pet size and kennel requirements. Certain breeds/sizes require custom crates (~$250).
    • Ensure connecting flights can handle pet crate size.
  3. Airline Pet Policies: Small pets: cabin. Large pets: checked (on your flight) or cargo (separate flight). Learn airline pet policies (and military exceptions) before calling. Keep calm and keep calling until you find a well-informed airline rep.
  4. Temperature: Airlines won’t let pets travel as checked bag or cargo if it’s too hot/cold on flight day. Have a plan B.
  5. Airports & Layovers: For layovers in other countries, know each country’s pet regulations before booking flights.
    • Avoid layovers in UK as they quarantine pets.
    • Large pets might not be able to fly to VCE. Ask the CTO about flying into Verona or Milano Malpensa.
  6. Animal Shippers: Based on breed/size, you may have to ship your pet separately (~$2000). See IPATA shippers.


Book Pet Travel

Traveling with pets requires a lot of pre-planning. Don’t forget to connect with your sponsors and The Vicenza Army Veterinary Clinic for support if you need it. Just remember that everyone’s experience traveling with pets is different.

Visit Contract Travel Office (CTO)

  1. Pre-Plan: The CTO, e.g. SatoTravel, doesn’t book pet flights, but they can book you on a pet-friendly flight with the CTO contracted airline or other U.S. Flag Carrier as required by the Fly America Act. Research dates and U.S. Flag Carriers that can accommodate your pet:
    • Use City Pairs Search Tool to see your allotted YCA fare and the airline contracted to fly to VCE. Stop by CTO to learn other possible U.S. Flag Carrier options.
    • Research airline pet policies/military exceptions.
    • Call airline. Tell them you are on military orders and you want to check a pet. Write down flights and dates with available pet space.
  2. Visit CTO: Bring pet-friendly flight options to CTO and pet breed, sex, age, cage dimensions, and weight of pet + cage. Book flights with CTO after confirming the airline (and partner airlines!) can fly your pet overseas.
    • Contracted airline doesn’t have pet space? Ask CTO if other U.S. Flag Carriers have pet space.
    • VCE can’t accommodate your pet’s breed/size? Ask CTO if U.S. Flag Carriers fly to VRN or MXP.

After CTO Visit

  1. Pet Flight: Although CTO will book your Soldier and family’s flights, they do not book pet flights. You must call the airline to reserve your pet’s flight.
  2. Reconfirm Pet Flight: Call and reconfirm your pet’s reservation MULTIPLE times in the weeks/days before departure. Pet reservations can get lost easily.
  3. Flight Day: Arrive extra early to pay and check-in pets.
    NOTE: Have a plan B (change flight; friend on standby) in case of a temperature embargo on flight day.
  4. Pets weighing over 3 kg or cage does not fit on or between bus seats will NOT be able to use the free post shuttle.  Pre-arrange pet transport with your sponsor.


Italian Pet Regulations

  • ·Italy has no breed restrictions however the installation does. 
  • ·Shelter for pets is required.
  • ·Pets may not be tied up and left unattended.
  • ·Cats must be kept indoors at all times.
  • ·Pets must be leashed during walks.
  • ·Pets must always have access to food & water.
  • ·Dogs & cats are required to be microchipped.
  • ·Dogs & cats must be vaccinated for rabies annually.  Rabies tags should always be kept on pets. Your pet  can be identified by its microchip or rabies tag if  brought into a vet.
  • ·Due to climate conditions, pets must be on  heartworm preventative medicine as well as flea and  tick control medicine at all time.
  • ·Pets must have a EU Pet Passport to travel outside of  Italy to other EU countries and to the U.S.


Additional Pet Travel websites