Military members are authorized one Personally Operated Vehicle (POV) shipment at government expense. To ship your vehicle overseas, you will need to turn in your vehicle to the nearest Vehicle Processing Center (VPC). To make appointments, learn about shipping, or to track your POV shipment, visit the official PCS My POV.
Note: Auto and motorcycle insurance rates are higher in Italy than the United States. Soldiers and families should review insurance costs before making the decision to ship a vehicle.
PREP YOUR VEHICLE FOR SHIPMENT
The Army authorizes each Soldier to ship only one vehicle at government expense. If you ship additional vehicles, these are at your expense. Prep your POV:
Maintenance: Change old batteries, tires, oil, and do general car maintenance before shipping.
Clean & Wash: Clean the inside and outside of your vehicle very well a day or so before shipping.
Photos & Video: Take clear photos and video of each angle of the exterior and interior of your vehicle, especially:
- Front/rear bumper (and underside), roof, wheels, antennas, navi/tech screens, & pre-existing damage
Gas Tank: Gas tank must be exactly 1/4 full or less when you turn in your vehicle or they will turn away your car.
Remove Personal Items: Take out any personal or non- permanent accessories before dropping off your vehicle.
NOTE: Find out what damages the vehicle carrier covers and consider buying comprehensive insurance for transit.
Vehicle storage is not authorized unless specifically stated in orders. If storage of one POV is authorized, then shipment is not and shipping a POV is at your expense.
SHIP YOUR POV
To ship your vehicle overseas, you will need to drop off your vehicle at a Vehicle Processing Center (VPC). To make appointments, learn about shipping, or to track your POV shipment, visit the official PCS My POV. To ship:
- Make an appointment online to drop off your POV.
- Clean and prepare your car for drop off.
- Bring all necessary documents to your appointment:
- Complete pre-inspection at VPC entrance gate.
- Check-in at VPC to have your documents reviewed.
- Complete vehicle inspection with VPC inspector.
- The inspection form is your proof as to the condition of your vehicle prior to shipment. ENSURE THAT IT IS ACCURATE. Don’t feel rushed by inspectors.
- Keep your shipping summary and inspection forms - you’ll need them to pick up your vehicle at the overseas VPC.