Your PCS orders authorize you to ship your Household Goods (HHG) at the government’s expense. You can check your weight allowance and weight estimate ahead of time, and once you have orders you can sign in to DPS to schedule your move.
Unaccompanied Baggage (UB): 6 weeks
UB is a Space-A air shipment of between 500-1,000 lbs. for smaller electronics and home comforts to help you settle in.
Household Goods (HHG): 8 weeks
HHG contain the remainder of your household goods. HHG travel by ocean barge and are your largest shipment.
- PPM Postal Shipments: To mail small HHGs to your overseas P.O. Box before arriving, set up a new Personally Procured Move (PPM) shipment on www.move.mil (CAC), keep receipts, and submit reimbursement claim to Transportation in Italy. You will be reimbursed at gov’t, not postal, shipping rates.
Non-Temporary Storage (NTS)
Italian homes are not as small as you would expect, but most have no closets or storage space. Consider putting large appliances in government storage (NTS) since major appliances (depending on availability) are lent to families once in Italy. For more information, check out the Official DOD Moving Portal . Have an issue on packing day? Contact Transportation!
NOTE: Professional equipment or "Pro Gear" does not count against your weight allowance. (Soldier: up to 2,000 lbs.; Spouse: up to 500 lbs.)
UB + HHG + NTS = Max Weight
|Total Weight Allowance (36-month Tour)|
|Grade||With Dependents||Without Dependents|
|O-10 to O-6||18,000||18,000|
|E-3 to E-1||8,000||5,000|
Special HHG Considerations:
- Soldiers in Barracks: Allotted 25% of weight allowance
- Deferred dependents: Command Sponsorship approval and Vicenza Housing Memo required to ship family HHG.
- “All Others Tour”: Family members remaining in U.S. may store/ship goods to a new location if Soldier is “authorized to move dependents from PDS to new location” in orders.
- Newlyweds: To ship from additional location (beyond 50 mile radius of duty station), orders must be amended.
- Shipments after Arrival: Allowed if ≥14 months left on tour.
HHG & UB
Unaccompanied Baggage (UB)
This is an air freight shipment. These are the smaller household electronics, kitchen appliances, and household goods you’ll want to have just as you move into your new home overseas.
It takes about 6 weeks to ship your UB (and about 4-5 weeks to move into a house). Consider packing:
- Kitchen: Dishes, pots/pans, mixing bowls, casserole dish, cutting board, chopping knife, silverware, strainer, wine/beer opener, paper towels, plastic ware, cooking utensils, kitchen towels
- Bath: Rugs, towels, washcloths, hand towels, workout towels, toilet paper, plastic shower curtains (keep cool air inside hall/bedrooms by hanging a shower curtain in the hall doorway)
- Bed: Pillows, sheets, mattress cover, rugs, clothes, hangers
- Other: Bicycle (a must for getting around easily) and gear, dual-voltage electronics (e.g. smaller TV & DVD player)
- Pro Gear: Specialty books, uniforms, and equipment (Pro Gear doesn’t count against weight allowance)
Household Goods (HHG)
This is an ocean barge shipment that usually arrives within 8 weeks. Be sure to:
- Specify on Inventory List: If it’s not listed specifically on your mover’s inventory form, it doesn’t exist. Create an inventory of all valuable household goods (include item, brand, model, serial number, etc.) before packing day. Provide the packer who will be filling out the inventory forms with the inventory sheet and explain that you want all valuable items listed on the inventory before signing off on the sheet.
- HHG Video & Pictures: State the date in videos or show the date in photos.
- Packing Day: Organize valuable items in one area and explain that all of those items must be listed on inventory sheets in order for you to sign off on your paperwork. List any damage done to your home or property during packing before signing paperwork.
- HHG Insurance: Find out what coverage is provided by HHG, UB, and storage providers. Follow up with your insurer to ask about any additional coverage they recommend for your goods.
Have an issue on moving day? Contact Transportation.