Before traveling, know which driving permits you’ll need to ensure you’re always covered while driving overseas. To drive in Italy, all DoD members and dependents are required to have a SETAF license along with a valid U.S. Driver’s License. You must carry your U.S. license with your SETAF license. Only SETAF license holders are authorized to drive a SETAF registered vehicle.    


To be able to apply for a SETAF license in Italy, you must first have a valid U.S. driver’s license, or country's license. To make life easier, renew your driver’s license before you PCS if its expiration date falls within your timeline overseas.

To be granted permission to operate a motorcycle in Europe, Soldiers must have current MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) training and PPE per AR 385-10, have an EC (European Commission) approved helmet and motorcycle endorsement on their US license. Civilians and dependents are not required to have MSF training but must have the endorsement on your state or country license and EC approved helmet.  ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​


Outside of Italy, many countries will not recognize a U.S. or SETAF license. To drive through neighboring countries, you will need to purchase either:

  • International Driving Permit ($20, renewed yearly): At least 4 weeks before traveling, apply by mail or in person at AAA or AATA (the 2 agencies authorized by the State Department to issue IDPs).
  • Italian Driver’s License (~270€, valid for 10 years for drivers less than 50 years old, 5 years for all others). Apply once you arrive in Italy.



To drive in Italy, all Soldiers and Command Sponsored dependents are required to have a SETAF license. A SETAF license is not valid without a valid U.S. license, or country's license. You must carry your U.S. license or country's license with your SETAF license. Only SETAF license holders are authorized to drive a SETAF registered vehicle.

SETAF licenses are only valid in Italy. U.S. drivers in Italy are strongly encouraged to get an international driving permit or Italian Driver’s License.

To register for a SETAF License, visit the Drivers Testing Office and bring the following documentation: 

  1. AE Form 190-1T
  2. Valid Stateside or Country License
  3. Orders for Military and Civilians/Letter of employment for local hire civilians
  4. Military ID Card
  5. Test (In-person or JKO)
  6. Attend In-person Orientation