Civilian Health Care in Italy
For any MEDICAL EMERGENCY call 118
Appointments Priority List at the Vicenza Health Center
|Active Duty Service Members
|Active Duty Family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime
|Retirees, their Family Members and Survivors who are enrolled in TRICARE Select (Not available Overseas)
Active Duty Family members who are not enrolled in TRICARE Prime
|All Other TRICARE eligible Members
|Non TRICARE eligible Member (GS employees, AAFES, and DODDS Civilian Employees)
- The Military Treatment Facility (MTF) on Caserma Ederle MAY provide care for minor, non-reoccurring health issues, to priority 6 individuals on a limited, space-available, basis.
- Specialty care services, such as dermatology, behavioral health, dietitian, audiology, etc. have been, and will continue to be, available to Non-TRICARE beneficiaries also on a space-available basis.
What is Space Available (Space-A)?
- Space Available (Space-A) care simply means that if an appointment is available and not already booked by Priority 1-3 patients, then Priority 4-6 patients may be seen in that appointment slot. If all appointments are booked, or are otherwise unavailable, then Space-A patients must seek treatment in a host-nation facility.
- Space-A appointments can only be offered to patients with health insurance, allowing TRICARE to bill their particular health insurance provider for services rendered. Non-TRICARE beneficiaries without health insurance are not permitted care at a Military Treatment Facility (MTF) in accordance with DoDi 6015.
- Treatment on a Space-A basis does not allow for continuous management of chronic health problems. Army MTFs in Europe will not treat chronic health problems during space-available appointments. Chronic health problems such as diabetes and hypertension must be managed carefully by a primary care provider for continuity of care and patient safety.
- Acute health issues can be seen at an MTF in a Space-A appointment for treatment of that specific health issue. Examples of an acute health issues include sore throat, upset stomach or urinary tract infection.
- Patient Liaisons are non-medical employees of the MTF who assist Service Members and their Families in host-nation facilities. They may help non-TRICARE beneficiaries on a Space-A basis.
How do I get a Space-A appointment?
To get a Space – A appointment, call +39-0444-61-9000 starting at 9:30am, Monday through Friday to inquire if there is anything available for that day. Please note, however, that the Health Center is closed every 3rd Thursday of each month from 11:45am until closing (4:15pm) due to training.
Being a Space-A patient does not guarantee medical care at the Health Center, but does allow access to services when there is availability based on your priority.
During monthly Army training holidays the clinic typically has open appointments.
Reminder: TRICARE beneficiaries receive health screenings and approval for relocation prior to overseas tours to ensure the capacity and capability of an overseas MTF will meet their family's healthcare needs. Because this is not done for civilian personnel and military retirees, families may arrive with needs which cannot be accommodated at the Health Center due to either capacity and/or capability. Additionally, the laboratory can only provide services for tests ordered through the Health Center.