Baumholder Military Community's Housing Town Hall slides: September 29, 2022

Government Housing

Family housing

On-post housing is available to Soldiers, E-1 through O-6, with command sponsored dependents serving an accompanied 36-month tour, or who are enrolled in the Army military couples program. Soldiers of all ranks are required to live on post until a 95% occupancy rate is reached. Waiting time for government housing is one to eight weeks depending on bedroom requirements. Within two days of arrival, Solders and/or their families must proceed to the Housing Office where they will be presented with housing options and wait times.

Soldiers bringing family members who are not command sponsored will not be allowed to sign for family housing until command sponsorship is granted. Soldiers who have family members traveling in a deferred travel status cannot make any travel arrangements for their family members until housing is secured and the travel orders are released.

For more information on residing in Family Housing, please check out the Army Family Housing Reference Guide.

NOTE: Townhome photos are coming soon.

Exceptional Family Member housing

There is limited handicap-accessible housing on post. Units with air conditioners are not available in on-post housing. Individuals who require specific or specialized housing considerations should ensure that the need is documented clearly in EFMP enrollment paperwork (DD 2792/DD 2792-1) at the time the EFMP screening is completed.

Individuals who require specialized medical equipment should be aware that Germany uses a different voltage than the United States. German appliances run on 220 volts, 50 cycles current while the U.S. runs on 110 volts, 60 cycles. All electrical appliances manufactured for use in the U.S. must be used with a transformer. Some appliances, such as clocks, do not work correctly when plugged into a transformer. Others, such as microwaves may deteriorate when returned to 110V use. Transformers are equipped to handle different wattage. The wattage required should be listed on the back of the appliance. Many appliances are now available in dual voltage; they simply require an adapter.

Single Soldier housing

Single and unaccompanied Soldiers, E-1 through E-6, will reside in barracks. Contact the barracks managers at your unit for room assignment. Single Soldiers in the ranks of E-7 and above, except for those designated key and essential, will reside off post. Unaccompanied seniorNCOs and officers on an all-others tour and collecting BAH in the states will berequired to live in BEQ/BOQ spaces if available. Soldiers residing in barracks may be required to have roommates. Visiting children and family members are not authorized to stay overnight in barracks.

Private Rental Housing

To live in local community non-government housing, Soldiers must be granted a statement of non-availability or an exception to policy. When the non-availability statement is granted, the Soldier is expected to aggressively seek housing. Seeking housing in the local community can be a challenge. Generally speaking, DoD civilians and contractors are not authorized to live in government-controlled quarters and must seek housing on the economy. DoD civilians must go through the Housing Office before signing a contract.

For more information on residing in Private Rental homes, please check out our OFF-POST HOUSING HANDBOOK

For those authorized to live off post, you can check for homes using HOMES.MIL.


Accompanied Soldiers (and Unaccompanied, E-7 and Above)

The Kaiserslautern Military Community is a joint Army/Air Force community. While the Army Housing Office services unaccompanied Soldiers (E-1 through E-6) and personnel assigned to Germersheim Army Depot, the Air Force Housing Office manages on-post and off-post housing for unaccompanied Soldiers (E-7 and above) and accompanied personnel from all branches of service. The Air Force Housing Office also provides assistance to Department of Defense civilians with off-post housing. 

Visit the Air Force Housing Office WEBSITE for more information.

Unaccompanied Soldiers (E-6 and Below)

All E-1 through E-6 unaccompanied personnel are required to live in on-post barracks. Permanently assigned personnel in the grade of E-7 and above are entitled to reside in off-post housing.

  • Single Soldier Housing for E-1 through E-4; Noncommissioned Officer rooms for E-5 and E-6
  • SSH located on Daenner, Kleber and Sembach Kasernes, Rhine Ordnance Barracks, Miesau Army Depot, Landstuhl

On arrival

E-1 through E-6 personnel should check in with unit for assignment of barracks room within two days of arrival.

E-7 and above personnel should report to Air Force Housing Office, Vogelweh Housing, Bldg.1001. Failure to report on time could result in out-of-pocket expenses which may not be reimbursed.

Quarters/room configurations and amenities

A majority of SSH quarters are renovated one- or two-person rooms with shared common areas. A few locations still have centralized common areas. NCOs are assigned a private sleeping room.

Basic furniture is provided, to include:

  • Single bed (E-1 through E-4), double bed (E-5 through E-6)
  • Night stand
  • Chest of drawers
  • Two wardrobes or closet
  • Desk with chair
  • TV stand
  • Table lamps
  • Mirror
  • Refrigerator

All buildings have free washers and dryers, day room/lounge and common kitchen. Kitchens are furnished with a stove and microwave. All rooms are wired for internet, phone and cable TV. Pets are not permitted in any SSH or BEQ/BOQ. Overnight visitation in SSH (barracks) is not permitted.

What to ship?

Any items allowed in unaccompanied/hold baggage:

  • Bed linen
  • Kitchen items (cooking utensils, dishes, glasses, silverware, etc.)
  • Ironing board and iron
  • Small appliances
  • TV, radio, alarm clock
  • Fan
  • Personal items, etc.

Do not ship more than 1,700 pounds for E-1 through E-4 or 2,500 pounds for E-5 and E-6 as it will not fit into a barracks room and government-funded storage is not provided.

Authorized space:

  • E-1 through E-4: 90 square feet
  • E-5 and E-6: 135 square feet

Caution: quarters are wired for German voltage (220V). U.S. appliances will not work with this voltage unless the appliance is rated for dual voltage. The 110V appliances will work with a transformer which is available at the Exchange.

Do not bring pets if you are E-6 or below and coming on an unaccompanied tour.

Civilians Assigned to Germersheim Army Depot

All military and civilian personnel assigned to Germersheim Army Depot will receive off-post housing services from the Kaiserslautern Housing Services Office on Kleber Kaserne.


Our enduring obligation is to take care of our people — our Soldiers, families and civilian employees. We are fully committed to providing a safe, secure environment on our installation. If you are a resident in post housing or barracks, the following process can be used to resolve maintenance issues:

Submit Work Order

Click HERE for work order phone numbers.

ICE Response: 3 Questions for Maintenance Satisfaction

Let us know how we're doing! Fill out a short THREE QUESTION SURVEY regarding your work order.


Learn more about USAG RP's ongoing efforts with regards to Army Family Housing and barracks. 

Counter Mold Resource Guide and Briefing Card - DOWNLOAD HERE!

Housing Town Hall March 19, 2024 Slides - DOWNLOAD HERE! 

Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for flushing water lines of Family Housing and Barracks buildings [READ MORE]

Housing feedback spurs change to residents' quality of life: Air conditioners approved [READ MORE]

Baumholder Housing improvements focus on Soldiers, families’ needs [READ MORE]

USAG RP works hard on housing in 2019 [READ MORE]

Garrison water safe, tested throughout the year to ensure Soldier, family wellness [READ MORE]

Demolition will lead to housing construction at Baumholder [READ MORE]