Col. Erin M. Staine-Pyne
Colonel Erin M. Staine-Pyne is the Commander of the 62nd Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington. She ensures the readiness of more than 2,400 active-duty military and civilian personnel, along with 40 permanently assigned C-17 Globemaster III aircraft to support worldwide combat and humanitarian airlift and airdrop operations. As the provider of the Prime Nuclear Airlift Forces, the 62nd AW is the only wing in the Department of Defense tasked to airlift nuclear and nuclear-related cargo.
In addition, the 62nd AW serves as the primary active-duty wing in support of Operation Deep Freeze, partnering with Reserve, Guard, and civilian agencies to provide airlift support for the National Science Foundation’s U.S. Antarctic Program. The wing also provides mission support to the 446th Airlift Wing (Associate).
Additionally, Col. Staine-Pyne serves as the U.S. Air Force Senior Service Component Commander at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, representing the interests of approximately 7,000 Total Force Airmen to the Joint Base Partnership Council and the surrounding community in the Pacific Northwest.
Colonel Staine-Pyne was born in West Point, New York. She received her Bachelor of Science degree from the United States Air Force Academy. She has served in a variety of flying positions including as a Weapons Officer in the C- 130E/H and Instructor Pilot in the C-17A. She has held key staff positions at the squadron and major command levels. Colonel Staine-Pyne served as Commander, 8th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord prior to attending the National War College and earning a Master’s Degree in National Security Strategy. Her deployments include one Combined Air Operation Center tour in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM; numerous C-130E/H combat deployments in support of Operations ALLIED FORCE, JOINT FORGE, SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM; and as the Commander, 817th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron.
Colonel Staine-Pyne also served as the United States Transportation Command Liaison Officer to U.S. Pacific Command, providing advice and assistance to USPACOM leadership and staff on joint deployment and distribution issues associated with supported USPACOM operations, plans, exercises, policies, and procedures prior to her current position. Most recently, she served as the Vice Commander of the 62nd AW.
1998 Bachelor of Science Degree, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2004 United States Air Force Weapons School (C-130), Little Rock AFB, Ark, Distinguished Graduate
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Masters of Public Administration, University of Colorado at Denver, Denver, Colo.
2012 Air Force National Security Fellowship, Washington, D.C.
2014 Air War College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Masters of National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1998 – October 1999, Pilot Student, 85th/86th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. December 1999 – June 2004, C-130E Pilot, Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot, Lead Airdrop, 41st Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. July 2004 – April 2008, C-130 Weapons Officer, Flight Commander, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 29th Weapons Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. May 2008 – June 2010, Chief, C-130 Tactics, Technique and Policy, Directorate of Air, Space and Information Operations, HQ Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. July 2010 – January 2011, Assistant Executive Officer to the Commander, HQ Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. February 2011 – July 2011, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, HQ Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 2011 – June 2012, Air Force Fellow, Project on National Security Reform and The Washington Institute for Near East Policy, Washington D.C.
8. July 2012 – May 2013, C-17A Aircraft Commander, Assistant Director of Operations, 4th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
9. June 2013 – February 2015, Commander, 8th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
10. March 2015 – July 2015, Deputy Commander, 62nd Operations Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
11. August 2015 – June 2016, Student, National War College, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2015 – June 2018, U.S. Transportation Command Liaison to U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
13. June 2018 – January 2020, Vice Commander, 62nd Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
14. January 2020 – Present, Commander, 62nd Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 3,280
Aircraft flown: C-130E/H, C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal Air Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defensive Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War of Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant, May 27, 2000
Captain, May 27, 2002
Major November, 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel, December 1, 2011
Colonel, July 1, 2016