ATTENTION: EXTENSION TO TEMPORARY USE OF A REGULAR PASSPORT IN LIEU OF SPECIAL ISSUANCE PASSPORT FOR OFFICIAL TRAVEL. THIS TEMPORARY EXCEPTION ORIGINALLY SET TO EXPIRE ON
31 MARCH 2021 HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL 30 SEPTEMBER 2022.
Civilians, eligible family members and eligible military family members on official travel must have either a Special Issuance Passport (SIP) - such as an Official, no-fee Regular or Diplomatic passport - or, as a temporary measure, a Regular (blue tourist) passport along with a DOD Passport Agent Memo (issued by the local passport office) stating the SIP application was submitted prior to departure from the point of origin.
The memo must identify:
- Each applicant.
- Application submission date.
- Country of travel for PCS/TDY/TAD.
- The DOD Visa Passport System (VPAS) ID/1056 Bar Code number.
Boarding WILL NOT be allowed without the proper credentials.
- Uniformed service members on official orders do not need a passport to enter Germany. See https://www.fcg.pentagon.mil/docs/GM.cfm
- Uniformed service members can also enter the United States with a copy of their travel orders and military ID.
- Uniformed service members require a tourist passport for leisure travel, excluding travel to/from Germany and the United States.
- All non-uniformed personnel require tourist passports for leisure travel. A Special Issuance Passport is required for official travel.
- To protect PII, no phone calls will be answered when agents are attending to customers.
- All DOD-affiliated personnel are required to process passports applications through their local Passport Acceptance Facility. Do NOT send passports applications or travel to the U.S. Consulate for passports services.
Appointments are required for all passport, visa, and CRBA applications. Priority is given to personnel requiring Special Issuance Passports (SIP).
Except for emergency travel and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs), all passport and visa appointments will be made via the online appointment system. For emergencies, please email your local passport office.
To make an appointment:
KAISERSLAUTERN WALK-IN SCHEDULE
The following services are conducted Monday – Friday (0800 – 1130 and 1300 – 1530):
Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Cards, Ration Cards, ITIN questions and Out-Processing.
The following Services are conducted Monday – Thursday (1300 – 1530):
Passport Pickup, Document Verification for SSN (newborn only), Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA Pickup).
BAUMHOLDER WALK-IN SCHEDULE
The following services are conducted Monday- Thursday (0830 – 1130 and 1300-1530)
Services include: Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Cards, Ration Cards, Passport Pickup (excluding CRBA), Document Verification for SSN, ITIN questions and Out-Processing.
Department of Defense Affiliated personnel in Germany must apply for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad through a Passport Acceptance Facility (PAF) located at their local U.S. military installation. This office also issues Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) cards to eligible stakeholders.
Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Services
Family members and civilians that are unable to obtain a No-Fee passport are directed to request a SOFA Card prior to arrival. If you arrive in country without the appropriate credentials, you will have 90 days to obtain proof of Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). If SOFA expires, you revert to tourist status and again have up to 90 days to obtain a new proof of SOFA. For active duty, proof of SOFA is ID card and orders. Personnel receiving a European out, are not covered under the 90 day tourist rule.
SOFA STAMPS in No-Fee/Official passports are the approved solution for dependents and civilians and expire when the passport does. SOFA cards are the work-around if dependents and civilians do not have a No-Fee/Official passport. This should be the last resort. The SOFA card is issued to the highest-held passport and expires either on your DEROS or the expiration of your passport (whichever is earlier). It is not transferrable to another passport and it is illegal to have both a stamp and a card.
SOFA REQUIREMENTS: In order to get a SOFA stamp, you must have an AE Form 600-77A. For civilians and contractors, this comes from the human resources department. For Soldiers, this comes from the S1. The person signing the AE 600-77A must have a DD Form 577 on file with the USAG RP Passport Offices.
You do not need an appointment to obtain a SOFA card.