You will need a valid tourist passport if you plan to do any travel outside of your duty location. The Official/“No-Fee” passport is only used for entry and exit of the country of official assignment.  All other travel requires a tourist passport for every family member, regardless of mode of travel.

Appointments are required for all passport and VISA applications.  NOTE: Personnel requiring Official or Diplomatic Passports are given priority                                    


The following services are conducted Monday – Friday (0800 – 1130 and 1300 – 1530):

Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Cards, Ration Cards, ITIN questions and Out-Processing.

The following Services are conducted Monday – Thursday (1300 – 1530):                                               

Passport Pickup, Document Verification for SSN (newborn only), Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA Pickup).

All other services are by appointment only.



The following services are conducted Monday- Thursday (0830 – 1130 and 1300-1530)

Services include: Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Cards, Ration Cards, Passport Pickup (excluding CRBA), Document Verification for SSN, ITIN questions and Out-Processing.       


Tourist Passports are renewable between two and four months before expiration, unless specifically required for country of entry.  Official/No Fee Passports are renewable seven – twelve months prior to expiration.  It is highly recommended that you make your appointment to renew your passport 30 days prior to your desired appointment date.  For most applications, you may retain your current passport until the new one arrives at the passport office. Exceptions: Mutilated passports, expired/expiring passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad require original passport(s) to be sent to the Frankfurt Consulate.

  • Average return time for Tourist Passports is four to six weeks
  • Average return time for Official/No-Fee/Diplomatic Passports is six to eight weeks
  • Average return time for Reports of Birth Abroad/Passport for newborns is eight to 12 weeks
  • Expedited services are only available in emergency situations (i.e., Red Cross Message with flight)

According to the State Department, all U.S. military-affiliated personnel in Germany must apply for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad through their local U.S. military installation passport office.

Your information source for travel for US Passport holders can be found in the Foreign Clearance Guide (This site is for official use only).

Application Instructions

Official Passports

For Soldiers who are deploying or going on a mission.


Covers Tourist/No-Fee/Lost/Stolen/Renewals.


For new babies born in Germany.
The Department of State's new online application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. 
A guide for filling out the e-CRBA.

Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Services

Family members and civilians that are unable to obtain a No-Fee passport are directed to request a SOFA Card prior to arrival.  If you arrive in country without the appropriate credentials, you will have 90 days to obtain proof of Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA).  If SOFA expires, you revert to tourist status and again have up to 90 days to obtain a new proof of SOFA.  For active duty, proof of SOFA is ID card and orders.  Personnel receiving a European out, are not covered under the 90 day tourist rule.

SOFA STAMPS in No-Fee/Official passports are the approved solution for dependents and civilians and expire when the passport does.  SOFA cards are the work-around if dependents and civilians do not have a No-Fee/Official passport. This should be the last resort.  The SOFA card is issued to the highest-held passport and expires either on your DEROS or the expiration of your passport (whichever is earlier).  It is not transferrable to another passport and it is illegal to have both a stamp and a card. 

SOFA REQUIREMENTS: In order to get a SOFA stamp, you must have an AE Form 600-77A. For civilians and contractors, this comes from the human resources department.  For Soldiers, this comes from the S1.  The person signing the AE 600-77A must have a DD Form 577 on file with the USAG RP Passport Offices.

You do not need an appointment to obtain a SOFA card.

Quick Answers Sheet ​​​​​