• Uniformed service members on official orders do not need a passport to enter Germany. See (preferably from a government issued computer).
  • Uniformed service members can also enter the United States with a copy of their travel orders and military ID. 
  • Uniformed service members require a tourist passport for leisure travel, excluding travel to/from Germany and the United States.   
  • All non-uniformed personnel require tourist passports for leisure travel.  A Special Issuance Passport is required for official travel.
  • To protect PII, no phone calls will be answered when agents are attending to customers.
  • All DOD-affiliated personnel are required to process passports applications through their local Passport Acceptance Facility. Do NOT send passports applications or travel to the U.S. Consulate for passports services.   

Appointments are required for all passport, visa, and CRBA applications.  Priority is given to personnel requiring Special Issuance Passports (SIP).

Except for emergency travel and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs), all passport and visa appointments will be made via the online appointment system.  For emergencies, please email your local passport office.

To make an appointment, click here .


The following services are conducted Monday – Friday (8am-11:45am and 1pm–3:45pm):

Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Cards, Ration Cards, ITIN questions and Out-Processing.

The following Services are conducted Monday – Thursday (1pm–3:45pm):                                               

Passport Pickup, Document Verification for SSN (newborn only), Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA Pickup).


The following services are conducted Monday- Thursday (8am–11:30am and 1pm-3:30pm)

Services include: Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Cards, Ration Cards, Passport Pickup (excluding CRBA), Document Verification for SSN, ITIN questions and Out-Processing.       

Department of Defense Affiliated personnel in Germany must apply for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad through a Passport Acceptance Facility (PAF) located at their local U.S. military installation. This office also issues Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) cards to eligible stakeholders.

Application Instructions

Official Passports

For deployments or OCONUS PCS moves


Covers Tourist/No-Fee/Lost/Stolen/Renewals.


For new babies born in Germany.
The Department of State's new online application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. 
A guide for filling out the e-CRBA.

Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Services

Family members and civilians that are unable to obtain a No-Fee passport are directed to request a SOFA Card prior to arrival.  If you arrive in country without the appropriate credentials, you will have 90 days to obtain proof of Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA).  If SOFA expires, you revert to tourist status and again have up to 90 days to obtain a new proof of SOFA.  For active duty, proof of SOFA is ID card and orders.  Personnel receiving a European out, are not covered under the 90 day tourist rule.

SOFA STAMPS in No-Fee/Official passports are the approved solution for dependents and civilians and expire when the passport does.  SOFA cards are the work-around if dependents and civilians do not have a No-Fee/Official passport. This should be the last resort.  The SOFA card is issued to the highest-held passport and expires either on your DEROS or the expiration of your passport (whichever is earlier).  It is not transferrable to another passport and it is illegal to have both a stamp and a card. 

SOFA REQUIREMENTS: In order to get a SOFA stamp, you must have an AE Form 600-77A. For civilians and contractors, this comes from the human resources department.  For Soldiers, this comes from the S1.  The person signing the AE 600-77A must have a DD Form 577 on file with the USAG RP Passport Offices.

You do not need an appointment to obtain a SOFA card.

Quick Answers Sheet ​​​​​