• Uniformed service members on official orders do not need a passport to enter Germany. See (preferably from a government issued computer).
  • Uniformed service members can also enter the United States with a copy of their travel orders and military ID. 
  • Uniformed service members require a tourist passport for leisure travel, excluding travel to/from Germany and the United States.   
  • All non-uniformed personnel require tourist passports for leisure travel.  A Special Issuance Passport is required for official travel.
  • To protect PII, no phone calls will be answered when agents are attending to customers.
  • All DOD-affiliated personnel are required to process passports applications through their local Passport Acceptance Facility. Do NOT send passports applications or travel to the U.S. Consulate for passports services.   

Appointments are required for all passport, visa, and CRBA applications.  Priority is given to personnel requiring Special Issuance Passports (SIP).

Except for emergency travel and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs), all passport and visa appointments will be made via the online appointment system.  For emergencies, please email your local passport office.

To make an appointment, click here .


The following walk-in service are conducted Monday to Friday (8 a.m. -11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. -3:30 p.m.)

Walk-In Services include: Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Cards, Ration Cards, Passport Pickup (excluding CRBA), Document Verification for SSN, ITIN questions and Out-Processing.

Don’t wait until last minute, No fee Passports can be renewed up to a year before their expiration date, official passports up to 6 months before their expiration date and tourist passports can be renewed at any time.

All Passport applications must be brought to the passport office, typed, and contain a 2D Barcode.  To complete the correct application, visit the Department of State website:  Application for U.S. Passport (

Department of Defense Affiliated personnel in Germany must apply for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad through a Passport Acceptance Facility (PAF) located at their local U.S. military installation. This office also issues Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) cards to eligible stakeholders.

Application Instructions

Official ACTIVE DUTY Passports

For deployments, TDY, or OCONUS PCS moves


Tourist Initial and Renewal/ No-fee/ Lost or Stolen


For new babies born in Germany.
The Department of State's new online application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. 
A guide for filling out the e-CRBA.

Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Services

Active-Duty members in possession of a tourist passport, does not require a SOFA Stamp or Card.  They acquire SOFA Status through their PCS/TCS or TDY orders. Family members of active-duty members and Civilians employees in possession of a No-Fee or an official passport should have the Black Ink Sofa Stamp on page 7, 8, or 9. If no stamp is present in the passport or if the person does not possess a No-fee or official passport, then a SOFA Card can be issued in place of the SOFA Stamp. The SOFA card is issued to the highest-held passport and expires either on your DEROS or the expiration of your passport (whichever is earlier).  It is not transferrable to another passport, and it is illegal to have both a stamp and a card.

SOFA STATUS IS REQUIRED FOR GERMANY. Government Civilians and their Family members without a SOFA CARD or SOFA Stamp on their passport are restricted to only 90 days in Germany on tourist status. 

SOFA CARD REQUIREMENTS: To obtain a SOFA CARD, you must have an AE Form 600-77A. For authorized civilians and contractors and their Family members, they must obtain it from their servicing human resources department.  For Soldiers’ Family members, they may obtain the request through their servicing personnel office.  The authorized individual certifying the AE 600-77A must have an approved memorandum signed by a COL/GS14 on filed at USAG RP Passport Offices. 

You do not need an appointment to obtain a SOFA card.


Quick Answers Sheet ​​​​​