The School Liaison Officer (SLO) is a reliable resource for parents on matters related to student transition, local K-12 schools and educational resources to strengthen and maintain resiliency for student success.

Finding a School

Schools Options on Okinawa

Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Schools

DoDEA offers high quality,tuition-free education for authorized dependents of DoD personnel assigned overseas. They also provide enrollment on a space-available, tuition-paying basis for others identified and prioritized by the Secretary of Defense (

There are 13 DoDEA Schools on Okinawa. Among these are 8 Elementary, 3 Middle, and 2 High schools. Schools are located on Kadena Air base and Marine Corps bases.

Off-Post Schools

Some families choose to send their children to a non-DoDEA school located off-base (i.e. private schools).Families are responsible for paying tuition fees, following enrollment and eligibility requirements, and arranging school transportation at these schools.


A host nation, state, commonwealth, territory, or possession where one is stationed may impose legal requirements on homeschooling. Currently, Japan has no homeschool policy. May incur out-of-pocket expenses. Some local auxiliary services exist.

School Zones

School Assignment

Students are assigned aschool based on where they live. To identify your child's school zone, contact the front desk of any Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) school or view the school zone roster online.

How to Register for School

Three Easy Steps

There are three easy steps to register for Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Schools.

How to register for Dodds with DORS.png

Step 1 • Register Online

Visit the DoDEA online registration for students (DORS) to begin your child's enrollment. To access DORS, visit here. Begin this process before or after your arrival to Okinawa.

Step 2 • Receive Housing Orders

Students go to school based on where they live. Report to your Housing Office to receive housing orders. If in a temporary lodging facility (TLF), your child will attend a TLF-assigned school until you receive housing orders. Contact any DoDEA school to identify your child's school zone or click here.

Step 3 • Visit Your Child's School

Visit your child's school with the following paperwork in hand.

  1. Sponsor's Orders
  2. Child's Passport
  3. Child's Immunization Records
  4. Child's School Records (copy or original)
  5. Housing Orders, Off-Base Lease Agreement, or TLF receipt

IMPORTANT: Documents 1-4 should be hand-carried with you during your move. Upon arriving to Okinawa, the school may ask to view these documents.

Good to Know

Free Resources

Free Document Translation Services

Children who transition to or from a foreign national school may require their school transcript to be translated. Active military personnel and their family members can receive free document translation services in more than 150 languages for school transcripts. Translations can also be certified, notarized, and accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. For details, visit Military OneSource or dial "145" on an installation telephone to contact a One Source operator.

Free or Reduced Price School Lunch Program

The U.S. Department of Agriculture offers free and reduced priced lunches to students who qualify and attend Department of Defense schools. Eligibility is determined by income. Click eligibility guidelines to see if your child qualifies for this program. Guidelines are subject to change. Apply online.

Free Online Tutoring

Since military families frequently move from one place to the next, is custom fit for military kids. You get an expert tutor whenever you need help, and you work one-on-one with your tutor in their online classroom on your specific problem until it's done. You never need to make an appointment. Subjects include: math, science, social studies, writing, standardized test prep, language, and much more.

Youth Sponsorship

Teen centers and schools have unique ways of welcoming new students. Some have new student orientations while others have student-led welcoming committees. Ask what programs they have to help your child transition smoothly into their new community. Here is a high schoolyouth sponsorship program that Department of Defense schools offers new students.

On-Campus Behavioral Health Counseling

DoD Education Activity (DoDEA) schools have Military & Family Life Consultants (MFLC) readily available on campus to support students and their family members. The MFLC program provides non-medical short term, situational problem-solving counseling.

School Advisory Committee (SAC)

All DoDEA schools operate their own SAC. At this committee, parents and teachers can advise the Principal on school matters. This is an useful tool for parents to raise concerns, offer suggestions, and promote positive change at their child's school. SAC is held quarterly and after school. Contact your child's school on how you can get involved.

Post-Secondary Resources

DoDEA organizes an annual College Night at Kadena or Kubasaki High School. This event invites stateside colleges to market their school to college-bound students. Interested individuals with base access are welcome to attend. DoDEA schools also have guidance counselors to help prepare students for college. Encourage your teen to get to know their guidance counselor at school.

Book Reading: Storytime Videos

Career Day Videos