Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q:  Where do I go to file an EEO complaint of discrimination?
A:  Appropriated Fund (AF) and Non-Appropriated Fund civilians, former employees and applicants for employment must contact the USAG Okinawa EEO office located at Torii Station in Building 218, Rooms 210 and 212.  Contact Phone Numbers are 652-4045/5105. You may also contact the USAG-Japan EEO office at 263-7183/3792.
Q:  What are the hours of the USAG Okinawa EEO Office?
A:  The USAG Okinawa EEO Office is open from 0800 to 1700, Monday through Friday and closed on Saturdays, Sundays and U.S. Federal holidays.  Although we prefer that individuals call ahead for an appointment, you may also walk-in at anytime during our regular business hours.  We are FLEXIBLE and the services we provide are based upon the needs of our customers.
Q:  Can I remain anonymous while filing an EEO discrimination complaint?
A:  Individuals filing complaints of discrimination can remain anonymous during the precomplaint or informal phase only.  If the individual pursues his or her complaint in the formal process, anonymity is not protected.
Q:  Who can file a complaint of discrimination?
A:  Any employee, former employee, or applicant for employment who believes her or his employment rights have been violated because or their race, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation and gender identity), age (40+), religion, national origin, disability (physical/mental), genetic information and/or reprisal for previous participation in protected EEO activity, may file a complaint of discrimination.
Q:  What are the timeframes involved in filing a complaint of discrimination?
A:  A person who believes they have been discriminated against in any term, condition or benefit of their employment must make contact with the EEO Office within 45 CALENDAR DAYS of the matter(s) alleged to be discriminatory.  For complaints based upon a alleged discriminatory personnel action (non-selection, discipline, etc.) the contact must be initiated within 45 CALENDAR DAYS from the effective date of the personnel action.
Q:  As a federal employee, can I file a complaint of discrimination directly with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)?
A:  As a federal employee, regulations require that you address your complaint of discrimination through the pre-complaint (or informal) process.  This is done at your servicing EEO Office.  A complaint of discrimination MUST be filed with the agency that allegedly discriminated against the aggrieved individual.
Q:  Is there an age limit to filing an age discrimination complaint?
A:  Yes.  The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 limits age discrimination complaints to individuals who are forty (40) years of age or older at the time of the alleged discriminatory act(s) or personnel action(s).
Q:  As an employee, what action can I take if my supervisor treats me negatively after I file a complaint of discrimination or participate as a witness in an EEO investigation or informal inquiry?
A:  Notify the EEO Office and your management hierarchy.  All employees, aggrieved persons, complainants, witnesses and applicants for employment are PROTECTED from reprisal and can file a complaint of discrimination if they believe they have been subjected to reprisal for their participation in protecte EEO activity.
Q:  As a supervisor, what can I do if an employee files an EEO complaint, then afterward, their behavior becomes disruptive in the workplace?
A:  Ensure you document, in writing, all incidents that you consider to be disruptive and/counter to good order and discipline and immediately contact Management Employee Relations (MER) for guidance.  Employees are expected to continue performing their assigned duties and tasks and conduct themselves appropriately regardless of their complaint status.

Policies & Documents