All inbound Soldiers and civilians will in-process through the Camp Zama Military Personnel Division, regardless of their direct unit of assignment or organization. In-processing is done by appointment. Prior to their incoming personnel's arrival in Japan, sponsors should contact MPD, located in Bldg. 102, D-Wing, and schedule the new Soldier or civilian an in-processing appointment. Sponsors can make the appointment in person or contact MPD at DSN (315) 263-3972/4122, or via email at  During the in-processing appointment, MPD will brief newly arrived personnel on in-processing procedures, schedule them for Head Start, the newcomer’s orientation, a finance appointment (Soldiers only) and a final in-processing appointment (five business days after the initial appointment). All personnel need to bring a copy of their orders, addendums (Soldiers only), or Letter of Employment (contractors only) to their appointment. Soldiers will also bring their Absence Request and be in uniform. All personnel will have five business days to in-process.  

Army Housing Online User Services

If you know or expect you will be living in Army Housing once you arrive to Japan, you can visit the Army Housing Online User Services website here. The site includes information on eligibility criteria, pet policies, floor plans, furniture restrictions, resources like the ACS lending closet, and more. 

There is also information on unaccompanied and off-post housing. Ensure you're on the correct page by clicking the pull-down menu near the top right of the page, scrolling all the way to the bottom, and selecting "Zama." 

You can call the Housing Office at 011-81-46-407-4818/5944 (from a stateside commercial line) or (315) 263-4818/5944 (from a DSN line). Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Japan Standard Time (JST).

And for a directory of all the AAFES and MWR facilities and services on Camp Zama, Sagamihara Family Housing Area and Sagami Depot you can view from your smartphone, you can download the Digital Garrison app here.


Welcome to Japan and Camp Zama Area

Welcome to Japan and Camp Zama, headquarters to U.S. Army Japan and I Corps (Forward), and U.S. Army Garrison-Japan. The information provided below is primarily for those being assigned to the Camp Zama Army community. The four primary locations are: Camp Zama, Sagamihara Family Housing Area, Sagami Depot, and North Dock. Those who work here strive to make this a command of choice and one where you and your family will become a part. While here, you will gain lasting memories and experience the wonderful beauty of Japan and the warmth of the Japanese people. Enjoy your time here.


Post Privileges

An overseas assignment gives you additional privileges at post facilities. In the United States, civilian employees are usually able to use the fitness center, library and other recreational facilities. Overseas, civilian employees with post privileges are also able to use the Post Office, Commissary and Exchange, including theaters, gas stations and auto repair facilities. You must have a Government-issued identification (ID) card marked for overseas use to use these facilities. Your Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC) can give you information on eligibility for ID cards.


ID Cards

One of the first orders of business you will take care of when you arrive at your overseas assignment is to get your ID card. This card is required to get you on post, into the Commissary and Exchange, pick up and mail packages at the Post Office, and for numerous other day-to-day tasks. Civilian employees and their authorized family members (aged 10 and above) are issued an ID card different from what you may have had in the United States. All members of your family should carry their ID cards wherever they go.

Torii Station:
Bldg. 210, Room 100
DSN: 315-644-5824
Routine ID card appointments should be made through the automated appointment system at:

(Family members)
Bldg. 216, Room 116
DSN: 315-644-4125

Camp Zama:
Bldg. 102, D Wing
DSN: 315-263-4449
Routine ID card appointments should be made through the automated appointment system at:

Personally Owned Vehicles

When operating a motor vehicle in Japan, a driver must possess a motor vehicle license that authorizes driving in Japan, issued by the local Provost Marshal office. Under Japanese law, every licensed driver is a professional driver. Therefore, all drivers are expected to exercise an extremely high standard of care. Drunk driving is a criminal offense. The United States has primary jurisdiction over vehicular accidents while in the performance of official duty.

Pursuant to USARJ Supplement 1 to AR 190-5, Motor Vehicle Traffic Supervision, paragraph 2-1c, personnel on Temporary Duty (TDY) or Invitational Travel Orders for less than 90 days are not permitted to operate any motor vehicles, except as required for official duty. Additionally, personnel on TDY are not authorized to rent vehicles from commercial agencies.

Driver's Training

Two helpful resources for new drivers in Japan are the Safety Office's Driving in Japan pamphlet and the SOFA Driver's Training: Accumulation of Driving Skills Checklist. Familiarizing yourself with these two documents prior to taking the SOFA driver'a training class will be helpful. (Click images at the top right of this page to download.) 

Registering Vehicles on Base

All personnel on Camp Zama will not possess more than one registered 4-wheeled and one registered 2-wheeled vehicle per licensed vehicle operator up to a maximum of three per household. Permanent vehicle registration must be obtained within 5 days of receiving or acquiring a vehicle. Personnel will report to the designated Provost Marshall (PM) vehicle registration section. At the time of reporting, personnel will be prepared to complete registration with the Japanese authorities and with the local PM within 3 workdays. Personnel for the PM registration section will:

  • Require registrants to present evidence of those items outlined by AR 190-5, paragraph 3-2, and USARJ Reg 190-5.
  • Require registrants to complete AJ Form 631 (Vehicle Registration Worksheet).
  • Prepare necessary documents for registration with the Japanese authorities.
  • Advise and instruct personnel concerning the proper procedure to follow in completing the Japanese and USARJ registration.
  • Upon completion of proper registration with the Japanese authorities and satisfactory completion of the mechanical and appearance inspection, issue DD Form 430 (Military Registration and Certificate of Title of Motor Vehicle) and USFJ Form 15A and/or 15B (Vehicle Registration Decal).

Insurance Requirements -- U.S. Forces personnel will have in effect at the time of registration of their vehicles, and will maintain in effect until registration is canceled, the following types of insurance:

  • Japanese Compulsory Insurance, commonly referred to as JCI. JCI is purchased in 3, 2, or 1 year policies depending on the age of the vehicle and rates are all the same no matter which insurance company.
  • Property Damage Insurance, minimum coverage of 1,800,000 yen (or $18,000). Rates on these insurance policies vary depending on the age of the driver. Special care should be given when purchasing policies to cover minors since notification to the insurance company is necessary and the rates are somewhat higher.


All incidents/accidents involving personal injury to, or death of a Japanese national, or damage to property belonging to a Japanese national must be reported, thoroughly investigated and forwarded to the USAF. The USAF has single-Service claims responsibility in Japan. The Japanese national(s) involved will be advised to contact the local DFAB.

Base Regulations

Cell Phones - Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Traffic -- All motor vehicles must be driven on the left side of the road. It usually takes some time to commit it to memory in order to drive safely.

Accidents -- All accidents must be reported to the Military Police Station immediately on an AJ Form 943 EJ.

Can I Bring My Car From the States?
Shipping your vehicle to Japan can be very costly and large American cars will not navigate well on Japanese roads due to narrow roads and parking spaces. That being said, you can ship your vehicle to Japan but your vehicle will have to meet strict Japanese emission standards etc. that can be quite costly.

Where Should I Buy My Car?

Most overseas military locations, have a "lemon lot" with deals from servicemembers and civilians looking to sell there car prior to PCS'ing. Please remember that depending on when the car's JCI inspection etc. expires, you may have an additional expense added to the price of the car if it's close to the inspection time for that vehicle. Lastly, there are car dealerships very close to post that offer mainly used vehicles that are very reasonably priced as well. Depending on your taste, you can expect to spend anywhere between $500 - $3,000 on a used car in Japan.

Who Will Fix My Car?

Camp Zama Exchange Car Care Center: Mon-Fri 0730-1700, Sat 0900-1600, Sun Closed

Helpful Numbers: Cell: 046-407-1201, Follow the prompts, then dial 1-214-261-2087

Depending on your car's issues, it can be serviced at the Car Care Center on-post. They can also advise you if your car requires off-post servicing at a dealership, etc. The center is located in Bldg. 381 at the gas station.

How Can I Sell My Car Back When I PCS?

You can try to sell your car independently or via a dealership before you PCS. You can also use Junking Services via the Auto Skills Center on post or a car dealership off-post.

Can I bring the Japanese Car I purchased back to the States?

As stated above, changing over vehicle standards from one country to another can be costly. The same goes for most cars in Japan. Please do thorough research via the Auto Skills Center on post or a car dealership off-post prior to making any decisions.

Shipment - Household Goods

You are authorized two types of shipments to Japan: hold baggage (unaccompanied baggage) and household goods. Japan is an administratively weight restricted area which means that your personal property or household goods shipment is limited to 50 percent of your Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) allowance. Check with your Traffic Management Office to determine the weight allowance authorized for you. Colonels/O-6, CSM/SGM/E-9 are authorized 75 percent of JTR allowance.

The housing office provides 90-day loaner government furniture support (tables, chairs, sofas, lamps and bedroom sets) prior to your personal property shipment. Appliances (washers, dryers, stoves and refrigerators) are full tour support, on or of post. Please be aware that exceeding your overall weight limit can cost you significantly. Freezers are not authorized for shipment to Japan because space is limited in on- and off-post quarters. Full tour furnishings are limited. Please forward a request for furnishings required before reporting to any Camp Zama Command.


IMPORTANT! Average electrical current supplied to most Japanese homes and on military installations is only 30 to 50 Amps, at 100 volts and 50 cycles for Eastern/Northern Japan (including installations in the greater Tokyo area) or 60 cycles for Western Japan including Okinawa. The average home in the U.S. is supplied with at least 100 Amps (usually 150-200), at 120 volts and 60 cycles.

Most kitchen and entertainment appliances will work well throughout Japan with the 100 volt electrical current.

However, in Eastern/Northern Japan certain electrical items that depend on clocks or timers will lose approximately 10 minutes per hour if the rating is only 60 cycles. Appliances with motors operate at a slower speed due to the 50 cycle electrical supply, but should continue to serve adequately. A transformer may increase the voltage from 100 to 120, but it WILL NOT adjust the cycles from 50 to 60. Electric clocks (without a 50/60 cycle or automatic switch) are not recommended for shipment if used in Eastern/Northern Japan, since they will not keep accurate time on 50 cycles. Freezers are not recommended for shipment since space is limited in quarters. Carefully choose the electrical appliances you wish to bring to Japan by first checking the electrical information imprinted on all electrical devices. Most items manufactured today are multivoltage and 50/60 cycles.


Family Member Employment

You are coming over here with a job, but what about your spouse? What are the possibilities for her/his employment while you are here? As anywhere, the skills, experience, and desires of your spouse have a lot to do with the likelihood of employment. There are some special complicating factors in an overseas area, however. First and foremost is the supply of family member job seekers versus the number of positions available. There are many more family members than full-time positions. Since employment on the local economy is usually not possible, the competition for on-base jobs is very stiff. Second, spouses of civilian employees are not eligible for military spouse preference (a preference for Federal employment) so they have lower standing when referred for a job. If your spouse or other eligible family member has Civil Service status, lack of military spouse preference has much less impact. Many family members will be unable to find employment which meets their desires for work schedule, salary, or level of work.


Medical Care for Civilian Employees:

As a U.S. civilian employee in an overseas area, you are eligible for medical care in military medical facilities in the overseas area only, on a space-available basis and for a fee. What treatment is available will depend on where you are assigned, but our priority for care is always the same, which is AFTER active duty military members and their families. In most locations, you will not be able to obtain routine dental or optometry care. Depending on patient demand and care availability, other types of care will not be available from military facilities. If you have health concerns, you should discuss this with your gaining CPAC and sponsor in order to make sure that your health care needs, and those of your family, will be provided for. Military medical care is expensive. The fee schedule changes annually. Representative costs for outpatient care are rated on care given and can be expensive. You or your family members will probably need to use medical and dental providers on the economy at some point during your tour. Referrals can be obtained from the Tri-Care office of your local military medical facility or from co-workers who have providers they have used and recommend.

Obviously, you will still need health insurance over here. DO NOT count on whatever care you need being available on post. Most insurance carriers are more flexible regarding what kinds of receipts they will accept from Host Country providers. Contact your health insurance carrier for specific forms and instructions on filing overseas claims. You can also obtain more information about the Federal Employees' Health Benefits program from your Civilian Personnel Advisory Center or by reviewing the Office of Personnel Management's website at

Please access the following link for a list of options of host-nation medical facilities. 

Host Nation Medical- Options (


Mail and Postal Facilities

You are authorized a Post Office Box at the military postal facility. Your sponsor can reserve a box and give you the address as soon as your sponsor receives a copy of your PCS orders. This will enable you to do your “change of address” cards. As with any move, it takes a few weeks for any change to take effect with your correspondents and magazines so the sooner you send in your new address the less delay you will experience. Don't forget to put in a forwarding order with your United States Post Office if in the U.S. Under the Military Postal System (MPS), you and your correspondents use U.S. postage stamps and rates. The MPS moves mail to and from designated United States locations so you do not pay overseas mailing charges. A first class stamp gets letters to and from an overseas APO just as if you were still within the U.S. You will still receive any magazines, catalogs, and packages without having to pay international rates which is a big cost (and time) savings. Customs forms are required to send packages to and from APOs.


State Income Taxes

Some states have no income tax. Other states don't tax income earned overseas. Many states, however, do expect you to continue to pay state income tax while you are assigned overseas. Your local Legal Office can provide advice on these matters. Most states require quarterly payment of estimated taxes to be due. If taxes aren't withheld from your salary you are now able to arrange for state tax withholding from your check.


Child Care Programs

Child Development Services: The CDS program is an accredited and award winning program. The managers and staff take their mission of caring for your children very seriously. Children are cared for in a safe, warm and supportive environment. Centers are conveniently located on Camp Zama and Sagamihara Family Housing Area. Family Child Care (FCC) homes are another childcare option. Homes operate at both housing areas. Care and programs are designed according to the child's developmental stage. Services are designed to foster and develop a child's physical, intellectual, and socio-emotional capabilities.

Daily activities scheduled include manipulative and educational toys, block play, physical activities (small and large scale muscle), art activities, drama and music. Activities are provided for children age six weeks through 12 years of age in hourly care, part day and full programs.

Fees are based on a sliding fee scale depending on total family income.


Youth Services

This is a great place to live! Youth Services (YS) has all kinds of stuff for kids to do. There are two centers, one at each housing area. You can participate in activities in the center, like video games, dances, a computer club, gymnastics and tumbling, karate, private piano lessons, lock-ins, talent shows, birthday parties, pool, darts, ping pong, golf lessons, cooking and midnight night basketball. You can also go on field trips to places like Tokyo Disneyland, Summerland amusement park, Wild Blue Yokohama (a huge INDOOR beach with real waves). If you want to join a team, YS has basketball, baseball, roller hockey, swimming and soccer. If an activity you like isn't already sponsored by YS, join the Teen Council and help decide what kind of activities you want at Camp Zama.

Some of the clubs sponsored through the Middle and High School include: Presidential Classroom Model United Nations, Photography Club, Future Business Leaders of America, French and Spanish Clubs, Drama Club, National Honor Society, Art Club, and more.



Your school age children are eligible for registration in one of the Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS) on a space-required, no fee basis, if you were hired from the United States. Your child’s school will depend on where in the local community you live and your child’s grade. DoDDS-contracted bus service is offered in some communities. If you have school age children, be sure to get information on bus routes before you commit to a house, unless you or your spouse are willing and able to provide your own transportation.

IMPORTANT NOTE: DODDS must be made aware of school age children with special needs. Contact with the DoDDS-Pacific Area Office is critical if a child has special needs or exceptional requirements. The employee sponsor must obtain required school documents from the child’s U.S. school prior to departure for the overseas location. You will need to complete and return these forms before moving to the overseas location to assist with any special needs or exceptional requirements.


Bank, Credit Union and Services

Due to electronic banking, most of the conveniences of home are available to you here in Japan. You may keep your U.S. bank of credit union accounts or establish one at either institution. Some people keep an account in the United States and one in Japan for convenience because of delays in mailing deposits to stateside banks and credit unions. An ATM (automatic teller machine) card from either the bank of credit union is very useful here and can usually be used at most Japanese ATMs. The ATMs on military installations dispense both dollars and Yen currency and do not charge a transaction fee, however, your bank may charge a fee so check with them beforehand. The bank and credit union sell Yen, but large amounts may need to be ordered in advance. The credit union rates are slightly less than the bank.

Community Bank:
  • Camp Zama, Bldg. 393
    Open Monday - Wednesday and Friday: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Thursday and paydays: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • ATM locations:
    Camp Zama: Bank and Exchange
    Sagami Depot: Bldg. 130-S3
    Sagamihara Housing Area: Bldg. 104
    New Sanno Hotel: 2nd Floor
    Hardy Barracks, 1st Floor
  • Telephone:
    DSN: 315-263-5403
    Within Japan: 046-407-4767
Navy Federal Credit Union:
  • Camp Zama, Bldg. 344
    Monday - Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Telephone:
    DSN: 315-263-4934
    Within Japan: 046-407-4767

Defense Commissary Agency

The Defense Commissary Agency operates four commissaries in Japan for Army military and civilian personnel and their families. Each store stocks a full line of grocery, fresh meat and produce.

  • Sagamihara Family Housing Area is the main commissary in the Camp Zama community. It stocks approximately 8,000 items.
  • Camp Zama Commissary stocks about 7,000 items.
  • Kure Commissary stocks approximately 1,800 items.
  • Kadena AB Commissary stocks approximately 14,500 items.

Army and Air Force Exchange Service

Camp Zama Exchange supports military personnel, Department of Defense civilians, their families and other authorized personnel.

The Exchange maintains a wide range of services - from a main store with a full assortment of merchandise to Express stores at Zama and Sagamihara Family Housing Area.

Various facilities within the Exchange include home and garden, digital movie theater, Burger King, Popeye’s, Anthony's Pizza, Subway, Taco Bell, Military Clothing Store, gas stations and vending machine services. Additional concession facilities include new car and motorcycle sales, car rental, beauty/barber shops and more.

The Army & Air Force Exchange Service continues to provide quality merchandise and services at competitively low prices.


Telephone Service and Long Distance

Cordless telephones (including baby monitors and walkie-talkies) in the 900 MHz AND 1.6 & 1.7 GHz range and not within the standard Wi-Fi band cannot be used in Japan as they may interfere with commercial communications frequencies. Authorized cordless home phones usually include those in the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz range and do operate within the standard Wi-Fi band. Telephones which meet these requirements are sold at the military Exchange.

A commercial vendor at the Exchange provides U.S. commercial phone service, including your own U.S. telephone number, as well as Internet and cable television service. Otherwise, long distance rates for calls to the U.S. vary based on carrier and type of service used. If you plan on calling the U.S. on a regular basis and do not live on post or want U.S. phone service, the Exchange and Lodging offer calling cards.

If you have an American cellular phone, you will most likely not be able to use it here -- the frequencies are different from those used here for such service and can interfere with other users.


Host Country Orientations and Language Classes

IN-PROCESSING: Shortly after your arrival you will be eligible to receive your newcomers benefits. These benefits include:

  • Our in-processing office will provide an easy to follow step-by-step sheet of areas you need to check with including finance, housing, driver training, vehicle registration, etc.
  • Loan Closet - Pots, pans, dishes, small appliances, car seats, strollers and more are loaned out for 30 days or until you receive your household goods.
  • Automatic enrollment in the Command Right Start Program which includes:
    • Part I - ACS (Army Community Service) Newcomer’s Orientation: A welcome briefing by the installation commander and key representatives from the community. The orientation also includes a “Taste of Japan” luncheon. The orientation is held the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at the Camp Zama Community Club. This program is mandatory for military and civilian sponsors. Adult family members are welcome and encouraged to attend. Free child care during the orientation is available year-round for children up to 12 years, but call the Child Development Center in advance to make a reservation.
    • Part II - Japanese Headstart: A one-week Japanese language, customs and culture course is conducted by the Academic Training Division (Education Center). Adult family members may also attend.
    • Note: Military and civilian employees are required to attend both of these programs within 60 days of their arrival at Camp Zama.

Newspapers, Television, Radio and Movies

Since most of us are not fluent in Japanese, we are dependent on English language media for information and entertainment. American Forces Radio and Television Service offers one AM radio channel (Eagle 810 for Tokyo area. Check for your local AFN radio station) with rotating formats to try to serve all listening interests. Currently there are eight television channels available at no cost through Armed Forces Network (AFN)-TV as well as dozens of additional cable channels offered through the Exchange commercial vendor. TV channels also try to address all viewing tastes, with a good variety of network series, movies, sports and news. There are no commercials. AFN-TV also broadcasts segments of interest to local communities, including weather, exchange rates, community events, and other items. AFN-TV is only available through the cable (no fee if not subscribing for additional cable services) or via an antenna and decoder box. The Stars and Stripes is an English language newspaper published for members of the U.S. forces, five days a week. You will find it a comprehensive, balanced source of international, U.S., and local area news with regular features such as comics, advice columns, classified ads, etc. The Stars and Stripes is sold by the Exchange and Commissary, in machines on U.S. installations, and is available by home delivery in many communities. All military installations have video rental outlets. There are often English video rental stores in the local community. Most military installations also have at least one movie theater, plus there are often cinemas in the local community which show English language films. Just remember there are other things to do in Japan besides watching TV.


Adult and Higher Education

The Army Education Center located at Camp Zama has qualified personnel to provide educational as well as vocational-technical guidance. Military personnel, civilians and family members on a space available basis, have many opportunities to continue their education while in Japan. Several civilian institutions offer resident credit at the Army Education Center. Classes are usually held during off duty hours. Central Texas College, University of Maryland and University of Phoenix all participate in these programs.


Legal Assistance

The Legal Assistance Office is available to assist with a wide range of legal matters. Services provided include, but not limited to, wills preparation, power of attorney, marriage and divorce procedures, and tax assistance. Appointments are required for most services.


Pet Import and Pet Export

For pet import, see:/Units/vet/import.