ABOUT - Early Return of Dependents (ERD)

When command sponsored dependents wish to return to a designated place at the government's expense — before the Soldier receives notice of a PCS or is pending retirement or separation — the Soldier may submit an Early Return of Dependents (ERD) request. ERD requests may be submitted for the following reasons ONLY:

  • Divorce / Separation
  • Financial difficulties
  • Unforseen family probelms
  • Death / Illness of a close relative
  • Essential medical care unavailable
  • Inadequate educational facilities
  • Dependent report to Armed Forces
  • Death / Incapacitation of a care giver
  • Lack of acceptable employment for dependent children (18+) which may result in adverse actions by dependent
  • Reason of compassionate nature

Once the ERD is complete, Soldiers forgo entitlements such as OHA/Government Lease Housing and the COLA at "with dependents" rate. Under most conditions, Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is authorized for the dependents' new location. Family members will lose their Command Sponsorship status, once ERD orders have been issued.

For additional informaiton and routing options, service members shoud speak with their orderly room, personnel shop or chain of command.

*Fillable Forms Notice: If you have trouble downloading these forms, please switch to a different web browser.


  • Early Return of Dependents Checklist

    This checklist can be used by any service member requesting an ERD. However, self-submission guides must request the routing from their chain-of-command, orderly room or S1.